FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The divorce is filed

Author Topic: The divorce is filed
mimsies
Member # 7418

- posted      Profile for mimsies   Email mimsies         Edit/Delete Post 
Everything is signed including the final decree and filed today.

I'm still trying to figure out how *I* ended up being the petitioner and doing the filing when HE was the one who wanted the divorce...

All in all, I DO NOT EVER want to do that again.

I don't know how I feel right now. Thanks for all your support over the past few months, I can't tell you how much it has helped.

-mimsies

edit to clarify

[ February 28, 2006, 01:11 AM: Message edited by: mimsies ]

Posts: 772 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Advent 115
Member # 8914

- posted      Profile for Advent 115   Email Advent 115         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry to hear about that mimsies. I know from the child of a divorce that they can be long strenuous times.

(gives mimsies a hug) Take care now, you hear. [Smile]

Posts: 1941 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
*hug*
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
signal
Member # 6828

- posted      Profile for signal   Email signal         Edit/Delete Post 
*dittos Advent.*

(((mimsies)))

Posts: 298 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I hope you are happier this way, and it works out for the best.

Also, I hope Hatrack has brought you as much comfort and support as it can, and I am glad you began posting. [Big Grin]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
Divorce: Consider the alternative

Just Kidding... but glad your free

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
(mimsies) I'm sorry.
Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ctm
Member # 6525

- posted      Profile for ctm   Email ctm         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by mimsies:

I'm still trying to figure out how *I* ended up being the petitioner and doing the filing when HE was the one who wanted the divorce...

Yeah, I'm also the one who filed even though he was the one who wanted out... though in our case it was because I used a lawyer and he didn't. We kept things reasonably amicable and didn't squabble and it was cheaper that way, in the long run.

But it still felt weird.

I hope you get a sense of closure and peace.

(((mimsies)))

Posts: 239 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
(((hugs)))
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stray
Member # 4056

- posted      Profile for Stray   Email Stray         Edit/Delete Post 
(((mimsies))) I know it's rough, I went through this myself just a few months ago. I hope Hatrack has been able to offer you some comfort through all this.
Posts: 957 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, mimsies. Here's to a bright future!
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, my divorce wasn't my idea either, but I'm the one who filed too. Interesting that that is so common of an experience.

Do you have a date set for your divorce hearing yet? Mine is coming up in less than two weeks.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aretee
Member # 1743

- posted      Profile for aretee   Email aretee         Edit/Delete Post 
I met my husband a week before his divorce was final. I remember the day they went before the judge; he was a wreck. She was was the one who wanted out and she made him write the decree (they didn't use lawyers because it was cheaper). It was a very difficult day for him and I'm sorry to say I didn't know what to say to him then, and I don't know what could be said to you now. It's hard no matter what part you played in the divorce...

Warm fuzzies to you.

Posts: 1735 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mimsies
Member # 7418

thanks everyone.

Noemon, we don't have a hearing. We just gave the agreement for the judge to review so he signed off on it.

So if he signed the final decree already, does that mean we are now officially divorced?

Posts: 772 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Artemisia Tridentata
Member # 8746

- posted      Profile for Artemisia Tridentata   Email Artemisia Tridentata         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe the Italians had the right idea after all.
Posts: 1167 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
{{Bakes a good will Hatrack cake}}
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OlavMah
Member # 756

- posted      Profile for OlavMah   Email OlavMah         Edit/Delete Post 
mimsies - yes, if the final decree is signed, you should be all the way divorced.
Posts: 700 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
All in all, I DO NOT EVER want to do that again.
That's exactly how I felt about my divorce. Exactly.

Sorry you're going through this. The weird thing I had was, though it was an amicable split, I still played the 'coulda, woulda, shoulda' game in my head for a long time after. Then one day I realized I hadn't played in a while. It was sort of a weird realization because I don't think I'd been all that aware of how much I'd been replaying the last years of our marriage in my head until I stopped doing it.

Will your ex still be involved in your son's life?

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
Keeping you in my thoughts. I'm glad this step is beyond you and you can move on.
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
mimsies, when my Mom called my stepfather to tell him she was leaving, I was right there with her. Despite the fact that he had essentially run her into bankruptcy, despite the fact that he had a prescription drug dependency problem, despite the fact that he was prone to fits of rage and violence (which is why this was done over the phone where she was safely out of his reach) despite the fact that she had stayed with him 10 years longer than she wanted to because she truly believed in making the marriage work no matter what and had tried everything humanly possible to get him to seek help for his problems - despite all that she still wept for a half hour after it was over and said it was one of the worst moments of her life.

No one could say she hadn't done what she could and that leaving him was perfectly justified yet it was still an enormously traumatic thing for her to go through.

What you've done is traumatic, you need to heal from it and it's not going to be easy. Sounds like you have wonderful family support and I'm glad of that for you. I would recommend therapy if it's an option for you, I know sometimes right after a divorce you may not have a ton of extra money to pay for private counseling, but I do believe it can be helpful.

My thoughts are with you, sweetheart. Take care of yourself and your son. (((mimsies)))

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
whiskysunrise
Member # 6819

- posted      Profile for whiskysunrise   Email whiskysunrise         Edit/Delete Post 
(((mimsies)))
Posts: 747 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mimsies
Member # 7418

Thanks everyone.

Hugs are good.

I love this community.

Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
(mimsies)
At least the legal stuff is over with.
Now you can get on with the next thing in your life.

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.