FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » "It's punishing someone before conviction" -HOORAY! I'm now officially published! (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: "It's punishing someone before conviction" -HOORAY! I'm now officially published!
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll read it later, but say Congratulations now.
Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats, Dags. [Smile]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlueWizard
Member # 9389

- posted      Profile for BlueWizard   Email BlueWizard         Edit/Delete Post 
It seems to me that this is nothing but a Restraining Order. I don't think a crime needs to be commited for one person to get a restraining order against another. Only some for of harassment or some activity that creates fear in the person seeking the Restraining Order. So, in that sense, I don't see this as punishment before crime.

The person who is the subject of this very unique type of Restraining Order will have already established themselves as a 'public nuisance' at the location in question. Even if they have not yet been convicted of a primary crime.

I really don't see the problem in general, although I can think of specific circumstances where a problem could occur. For example, what if the location in question is very near the person's home. They could be in violation while sitting quietly in their living room. Also, what happens if the location in question is a main thoroughfare and the reasonable and logical route for the 'subject' to travel is past that location?

Still there is a difference between passing a location and lingering there.

Overal, I don't see any civil rights violations any more than I see them with a vaild court ordered Restraining Order between individuals.

Just a thought.

Steve/BlueWizard

Posts: 803 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a problem with these orders, but I am only half way through your paper. [Smile]

It just seems like an assumptions of guilt, and that runs contrary to what our legal system is based on.

If they aren't guilty, so we have a right to restrict their access? I don't think so.

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
We have the right to lock some people up who haven't been found guilty yet. We have the right to evict them from their homes and make them stay away from their wives and children. We have the right to make them post a bond. We have a right to tell them they can't travel out of state. We have a right to tell them what house they must live in. We have a right to force them to submit to drug tests. We have a right to tell them they can't associate with someone who has been convicted of a felony.

Certainly it's possible to disagree that these are sound policies. But it's very hard to argue that the stay-away orders are contrary to the existing legal system when all of these are well-established as permissible conditions of pretrial release.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.