FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Bragging thread - congrats to my daughter Em

Author Topic: Bragging thread - congrats to my daughter Em
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Last night the gymnastics coaches told me that Emily was now ready to move up to a competitive level.

As with most significant news, there are good and bad points.

Primarily, she has wanted this since she started and has worked very hard - every time there was an open workout on a Saturday she went, working on her skills. She does pull-ups at home for arm strength and stretches while she watches tv, and practices on her practice beam. I truly believe she's earned it, and that's reflected in the fact that she's made it to this level in half the time most girls do - she hasn't even been in gymnastics for two whole years yet.

Downsides are, per usual, logistics and money. Her class time will change to 3:45, which is too early for me to get her there if she continues to ride the school bus home. That means I have to pick up the kids from school on those days. I scheduled my other daughter's dance classes to coincide with gymnastics and now they are not going to, which means dropping off and picking up kids at various classes will be much harder and I'll probably spend twice the gas money running back and forth now.

Then, there's the money. Competing on the team requires buying a competitive leotard and team warm up suit, and you wouldn't believe how much that costs. Let's just say I was shocked. Then there's team fees that cover the coaches' travel to the meets and of course you have to pay your own travel costs and entry fees to each meet as well. Attendance in the summer session is mandatory but we'd probably do that anyway. We'll have to re-budget a bit, but we'll manage.

At any rate, she's done very well for an eight year old and come very far in a short time and I'm exceedingly proud of her. In fact, she had passed the required skills on floor, beam, and vault but lacked one skill on the uneven bars and they promoted her anyway because the coach told me that the gymnast's dedication and attitude were the most important factors and she had no doubt that Emily's work ethic would mean she'd get that skill down before the season starts. she even said she wouldn't be surprised if by the time the season began she didn't move up even another level, now that she'll be training more intensely she expects she'll make even faster progress.

I'm such a proud Mommy. [Smile]

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
[Cool]
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations, Emily!
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theresa51282
Member # 8037

- posted      Profile for theresa51282   Email theresa51282         Edit/Delete Post 
awww, congrats to you and Emily! I did gymnastics in middle school and high school and even coached a bit. I had a great time and it was an overall great experience for me. Emily is very lucky to have such supportive parents.
Posts: 416 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Neat!
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
Yay, Emily!
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
That is so cool! Give her my congrats. [Smile]
Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rich Lewis
Member # 9192

- posted      Profile for Rich Lewis   Email Rich Lewis         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats! Not every eight-year old shows that kind of dedication. WTG Em!
(And good luck Mom on the scheduling!)

Posts: 32 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ophelia
Member # 653

- posted      Profile for Ophelia   Email Ophelia         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats to Em!

Eight was when I started competing in gymnastics, too. [Smile]

Posts: 3801 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats to Em and to the Proud Mommy!
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats to Em and all the family [Smile]
Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats to Em!
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
That's impressive, Belle. Congratulations to you for raising a kid capable of that kind of dedication at such an early age, and to her for having it. Good luck to her in her competitions!
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
teh awesome [Big Grin]
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.