FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The Geeky Cool Toy Thread

Author Topic: The Geeky Cool Toy Thread
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, sometimes there are just things that push my buttons. I have sons, so I'm always looking for toys that will thrill and excite them, but will also score cool points with their daddy. [Big Grin]

This nearly made me wet myself. It's geeky to think these are cool, I know.

But I am, and they are. Especially Darth Vader.

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty
Member # 8855

- posted      Profile for smitty   Email smitty         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd rather have one of those cool replica lightsabers, I think. But these are pretty cool too
Posts: 880 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

The cool replica lightsabers are neat, but I wouldn't have one within 300 yards of my six year old. [Wink]

Please share links to other toys you think are neat. [Smile]

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xnera
Member # 187

- posted      Profile for xnera   Email xnera         Edit/Delete Post 
Acrobots! I have a pair on my desk at work. They're creative and fun. Right now they're hanging by their feet from my overhead cabinet.

Rollerscape looks like tons of fun. I may need to get that. Ooo, and here's a magnetic marble rollercoaster that you can stick on your fridge!

I've also been wanting to try out Polarity. IT's a science project crossed with a board game!

Posts: 1805 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xnera
Member # 187

- posted      Profile for xnera   Email xnera         Edit/Delete Post 
Also, two non-geeky oldie-but-goodie games that I just bought for my six-year-old nephew:

Lite Brite. We loved Lite Brite when I was a kid, and I'm all for encouraging my nieces and nephews to be creative.

Clue Jr.! Who ate the missing piece of cake? We played this on his birthday, and boy, was it fun! And it's a good way to teach skills of reasoning and deduction.

Posts: 1805 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

Oh! We tried playing Clue with the boys, and it was a bit tough on the wee one. I think we must try this Clue Jr.
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll just stick with my Darth Tater.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
whiskysunrise
Member # 6819

- posted      Profile for whiskysunrise   Email whiskysunrise         Edit/Delete Post 
My friend gave me Darth Tater for Christmas. I think it's fun.
Posts: 747 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
unicornwhisperer
Member # 294

- posted      Profile for unicornwhisperer   Email unicornwhisperer         Edit/Delete Post 
What's better than this!
So nastolgic!

Posts: 1417 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty
Member # 8855

I told the wife about the Star Wars transformers - she has insisted we buy them.

I love her.

Posts: 880 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
Lego: Exo-Force
Legos are always awesome. These are great because for $15 bucks you can get a set that makes a mech-thing about 9-10 inches tall, with lots of neato pieces perfect for making spaceships, etc. True to form, you can combine two of them to make a super-ultra-mega-uber-mech-thing. And the lego men have really lame anime hair which makes me crack up everytime I see them!

Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Little_Doctor
Member # 6635

- posted      Profile for Little_Doctor   Email Little_Doctor         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's some of those replica ligthsabers you were talking about. These are the best quality that I've seen out there.

Here

Posts: 1401 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty
Member # 8855

That is 10 times cooler than the ones I have seen. Thanks LD!
Celaeno
Member # 8562

- posted      Profile for Celaeno   Email Celaeno         Edit/Delete Post 
What about Giant Microbes?

I mean, come on. Who doesn't want to own the common cold a million times its actual size?

Two Christmases ago, I gave these as gifts to everyone. They told me I was nerdy.

Posts: 866 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

The thing about the cool lightsaber replicas is that you can't hit them against stuff.

Which my six-year-old would do. If he knew such a thing was in our house, he would find a way to get it.

But the giant microbes? I want to pass them around. [Smile] They're so cute. And geeky. [Smile]

Juxtapose
Member # 8837

I'm not at all certain about this, but on the lightsaber page he describes the blade as, "virtually unbreakable," and, "strongly secured." So maybe you could in fact whack them around on stuff.
Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

You have bot seen what Liam could do to a Nerf bat.

The child broke a tile in my kitchen floor. Not going to even consider it until he's a bit older.

Celaeno
Member # 8562

quote:
Originally posted by Olivet:
But the giant microbes? I want to pass them around. [Smile] They're so cute. And geeky. [Smile]

I mean, come on. Wouldn't it be awesome to give someone mono for his or her birthday? Or, better yet, black death?
Posts: 866 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

quote:
You have bot seen what Liam could do to a Nerf bat.

The child broke a tile in my kitchen floor. Not going to even consider it until he's a bit older.

I merely said the lightsaber could probably take it. That certainly wouldn't make it a good idea...

quote:
Wouldn't it be awesome to give someone mono for his or her birthday?
[ROFL]
Celaeno
Member # 8562

And look, Juxtapose! It's cute too. You know you want it.
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

Not bad. A bit lumpy though.

I'm more a fan of syphilis!

Celaeno
Member # 8562

Actually, my personal favorite is flesh eating bacteria.
Nell Gwyn
Member # 8291

- posted      Profile for Nell Gwyn   Email Nell Gwyn         Edit/Delete Post 
This past Christmas, I gave Syphilis and Gonorhea to my two best male friends, purely because I knew they'd get a kick out of being able to say with absolute truth that they'd gotten the clap/the pox from me. They were delighted. [Big Grin]
Posts: 952 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.