FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » So, about the show off mockery (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: So, about the show off mockery
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks. Google just didn't know what to do with >.<
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by advice for robots:
Yeah, like you're saying "Huh?"

Is that really what YMMV means? I never know when to trust Scott. [Smile]

::nods::

Scott is a jackanapes. It is known.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xaposert
Member # 1612

- posted      Profile for Xaposert           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
when in reality I normally just say things because I think they are true.
Tres, if that's the case, what are we to make of all the times when, if pressed on an argument, you immediately withdraw to "it's just a hypothetical; I don't necessarily believe this?"
Tom, because I like to defend things I don't necessarily ultimately believe in, but think have valid and/or true points to be made that should be respected. There is a difference between saying a particular viewpoint is right and saying certain things about a particular viewpoint are right.

For instance, I don't believe in Islam. That does not mean I can't give an argument supporting some aspect of Islam that I do think is right. And it doesn't mean I can't support Muslims when they do something I think is right or within their rights. If I do so, you should not assume I also believe in Islam as a whole.

If I withdraw and state "I don't necessarily believe this", what it means is that I have concluded you are assigning a certain belief as the motive behind my argument, and I wish to correct that - to suggest that the motive is not to defend at all costs my personal belief. ("Oh, you're just saying that because you are Muslim!") The real motive behind my arguments is normally the fact that I think the argument follows and is valid, and thus should be true if you accept the premises. In short, because I think the arguments are true (even if I also think the viewpoints they might be used to support are not so true!)

[ March 03, 2006, 02:04 PM: Message edited by: Xaposert ]

Posts: 2432 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lord Of All Fools
Member # 3841

- posted      Profile for Lord Of All Fools   Email Lord Of All Fools         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Not just "a" jackanapes. *THE* jackanapes.

As my alt-screename indicates.

[Big Grin]

Posts: 82 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
*blinks* sarcasticmuppet is Narnia's sister? Because I totally never caught that before. Is she also abrynne?
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David G
Member # 8872

- posted      Profile for David G   Email David G         Edit/Delete Post 
What is "IIRC"?
Posts: 195 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
"If I Recall Correctly."
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

quote:
Originally posted by Lord Of All Fools:
quote:
Not just "a" jackanapes. *THE* jackanapes.

As my alt-screename indicates.

[Big Grin]

Where's the sakeriver "shock" emoticon when you need it?
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
[Eek!]

^ Use this one.

Incidentally, why are you shocked?

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Must be from the sparks flying from his computer.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JonnyNotSoBravo
Member # 5715

- posted      Profile for JonnyNotSoBravo   Email JonnyNotSoBravo         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by blacwolve:
*blinks* sarcasticmuppet is Narnia's sister? Because I totally never caught that before. Is she also abrynne?

No. Abrynne and sarcasticmuppet are two different people, and sarcasticmuppet is not Narnia's sister. The post was referring to the fact that "ROLF ROLF" made Narnia think of muppets, which reminded someone of SM.
Posts: 1423 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
See, I see >.< and think "attractive woman's midriff."
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Shocked that you're not just any old jackanapes, but the jackanapes. Teh jackanapes, even.
David G
Member # 8872

quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:

LOL!

(Was that a proper use of the term "LOL"?)

Posts: 195 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:

That IS funny. But people still like me better. [Razz]
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Scott R:
quote:
Is that really what YMMV means? I never know when to trust Scott.
[Big Grin]

You're right. It stands for, "Your monkey might vomit."

That's so sad. What's wrong with it?
Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
The women you find attractiv, Tom, have lats that most bodybuilders would envy. [Razz]
Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David G
Member # 8872

This is not directly relevant, but as long as we are explaining abbreviated terms commonly used on the forum, what is "BTW"?
Mirrored Shades
Member # 8957

- posted      Profile for Mirrored Shades           Edit/Delete Post 
Opening myself up for mocking and insulting -- what does IIRC mean? I've been wondering for ages.
Posts: 36 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mirrored Shades
Member # 8957

- posted      Profile for Mirrored Shades           Edit/Delete Post 
btw: by the way.
Posts: 36 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
BTW = by the way
IIRC = If I remember/recall correctly

Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by JonnyNotSoBravo:
quote:
Originally posted by blacwolve:

No. Abrynne and sarcasticmuppet are two different people, and sarcasticmuppet is not Narnia's sister. The post was referring to the fact that "ROLF ROLF" made Narnia think of muppets, which reminded someone of SM.
*wipes forehead* Life makes sense again. [Cool]
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
Acronym decoder
Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.