FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Reverse Speech....

Author Topic: Reverse Speech....
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
Since I got the mic already, I am intrested in exploring reverse speech. It seems like such an intresting thing to do whether the theory behind it is true or not. However, since it's such an unknown thing for me, I'm kinda afraid to get into it. Who knows what my unconsious in hidding from me? Maybe it could be something I'd rather not hear...
Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geekazoid99
Member # 8254

- posted      Profile for Geekazoid99   Email Geekazoid99         Edit/Delete Post 
Just try it and let us watch to see what are in the confines of the unconcience mind

it'll be fun

Posts: 250 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
For some reason, I am hesitant to try it though. For some reason, I'm linking it to the occult...
Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

Well, I'll post it here and I'll show you guys what's on my mind...
Will B
Member # 7931

- posted      Profile for Will B   Email Will B         Edit/Delete Post 
First off, it seems that I'm cursed:
I'm a poet whose time gets reversed.
Reversed gets time
Whose poet a I'm;
Cursed I'm that seems it off first.

Posts: 1877 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

http://www.etemenanki.info/reverseme.wav

It's still uploading! I've not heard it, because I want to know what you guys think first!

Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

Uploaded!!
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Creepy. It says "Paul is dead".
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

I don't know anyone by the name of Paul...
Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

- posted      Profile for Rappin' Ronnie Reagan   Email Rappin' Ronnie Reagan         Edit/Delete Post 
I am the walrus.
Posts: 1658 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

What do you mean?
Is that what you heard?

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
I am the eggman.
Goo goo g'joob.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Princess Leah
Member # 6026

- posted      Profile for Princess Leah   Email Princess Leah         Edit/Delete Post 
CCCRRRANNBERRRRY SSSSAUCCCCCCCE
Posts: 866 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Alt, in the 60s there was a rumor that Paul McCartney, a musician in a group called The Beatles, had died and been replaced by the band with a doppleganger. There were numerous things that were pointed to as clues supposedly being dropped by the band that this was the case. It was rumored that when you played some of their songs backward they could be heard saying various things having to do with Paul's death (ironically Paul has now outlived two of the three other people in the group). "I Am the Walrus" is the name of a song by Lenon that supposedly provides clues about all of this, including (supposedly) a backward bit that says "Paul is dead, his head off lies with his spirit". If you're interested in knowing about this in greater detail, this Wikipedia link provides a fairly exhaustive discussion of it.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
At first I thought it was saying "Kill your family", but it turns out it was just saying "Bill loves Emily".
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

Just now, Nellie and I were experimenting with this reverse speech thing. She sang "Part of your world" and when I reversed it, we both heard "Look out V."
V is what I am known by here. I am pretty creeped out. Anyhoot, just for the heck of it, I'll sing it this time and check if the same thing pops up. Scary stuff. If Nellie weren't here by my side, like hell I'd be listening to these things.

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I remember reversing my Def Leppard tape in 9th grade and finding a deliberately place reverse message in the song "Gods of War". The message was "We are, we are, we are the gods of war."

There's also a deliberate reverse message in Weird Al Yankovich's song "Nature Trail To Hell". That message is "The devil is cheese whiz."

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

Well, Mr. Potato Head, we just heard that clip and Nellie and I both thought the whole "Devil eats cheeze whiz" was too clear to not have been deliberate.
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
There are deliberate messages in the Mindless Self Indulgence song "Backmaskwarning!" Which makes sense, considering the whole song is making fun of the backwards message in songs thing.

Forwards lyrics:
Play that record backwards!
And go, go, go go go go kill yourself...

Backwards message part:
Stay up late.
Eat your vegetables.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

It's even worse than that -- it's located in a place in the song where it's obvious that there's a backwards message.

edit: I'm talking about Weird Al's song.

Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

We just finished recording the song with my vocals. When we reversed it, I could hear the "Look out V" but it was very vague and it wasn't very consistent. You could say it was only there once. When we played Nellie's to compare, the messege was there at least 4 times in a row. And the last time she said it, it was more crisp than Pringles. So, I'm scared now. What do I have to look out for?
If anyone is intrested in hearing the song, just request it and we can arrange a transfer. The file is simply too big to upload to my website server. Sorry, guys!
Nellie and I highly recommend that you hear it!

Oh, and Nellie claims that I say "F*** this" and she clearly doesn't. I kinda heard it too, but it seems a little vague. Althought it is very clear that Nellie doesn't say it at all.

Noemon
Member # 1115

quote:
What do I have to look out for?
Solicitors? You should put up a sign or something telling them to stay away.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

Nellie: Burn! Burn!!!
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

Well, Nellie and I listened carefully to the reverseme.wav file and we both heard me say, "Your mistress said, 'You're a slut'"

I actually seem to be quoting it, which is rather odd and creepy. >.<

Oh, and the beginning of "Part of your world", Nellie Bly version, she also said "ironic" so now we are going to record that song and play around with it to see if we can get any more "clues" to what I am supposed to look out for. Fun stuff.
But hey, who can blame us? We are bored and its late. It's Saturday night and in this huge city, we have nothing to do. >.<
Pretty sad, ne?

Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Dude... non-intentional backwards messages mean absolutely nothing. If you hear anything in things played backwards its a total coincidence. Enjoy it when funny things crop up, but don't let yourself freak out much [Wink]

That said, intentionally or unintentional backwards messages in music can be very very amusing.

Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Humans are very good at creating patterns out of noise.
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanecer
Member # 4068

- posted      Profile for Amanecer   Email Amanecer         Edit/Delete Post 
When you play Queen's "Another One Bites the Dust" backwards, it tell you all about the fun of smoking marijuana.
Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

quote:
Originally posted by Noemon:
quote:
Quite literally laughed out loud at this. You are a funny guy, Noemon.
Jack Bauer
Member # 9182

- posted      Profile for Jack Bauer   Email Jack Bauer         Edit/Delete Post 
"If backwards masking really worked, Ozzy Ozborne would be Prime Minister of England."

-- Penn Jillette

Posts: 28 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
Pictures have also been deliberately encoded into songs.

Wired article: Hey, Who's That Face in My Song?

Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile] .hguoht ynnuF !ycanul etulosba si klat sdrawkcab taht tsisni I
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

[Laugh] orocnirO
Noemon
Member # 1115

quote:
Originally posted by Tante Shvester:
quote:
Originally posted by Noemon:
quote:
Quite literally laughed out loud at this. You are a funny guy, Noemon.
[Smile]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.