FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » What happened to all of the landmarks?

Author Topic: What happened to all of the landmarks?
Reticulum
Member # 8776

- posted      Profile for Reticulum           Edit/Delete Post 
I've noticed there is a big lack of them. Did Hatrack reach a point where no one wants any anymore?

Excluding Advent, that is. [Wink]

Posts: 2121 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
What, these?

Click on "Hatrack River Forum" at the top of the page, and you'll see them all. If you look under "Active Forums", you won't, because they are no longer active.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
um, what am I? Chopped liver?

(don't bother answering . . . )

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Nah, Icky, you taste much better than chopped liver. [Big Grin] But then, the chopped liver I'm familiar is tough as shoe leather.
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Janitor
Member # 7795

- posted      Profile for Papa Janitor           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm behind on archiving, but they're on my list.
Posts: 441 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Icarus just wrote a Landmark as his 10,000th post. It was particularly nice because reading it (and viewing the photographs that illustrate it) give you deeper insight into who Icarus is and how he experiences the world. That, in contrast to the more everyday interactions we have with one another, makes it special.

I think Landmarks should sort of be like shooting stars. Rare enough to be special and notable, outside the everyday -- but not so rare that we don't remember what they are. Still, having shooting stars every day or filling the sky would make it harder to appreciate them individually.

Sometimes people reach their own milestones simultaneously, and so they post Landmarks at about the same time. That's not a problem. Sometimes the serendipitous confluence makes for its own magic.

It's just that I wouldn't bewail the lack of shooting stars on any given night, or even any given week or month, for that matter. There will be more, and we can take the time out of the regular flow then to appreciate them properly. Meanwhile, we keep on making the connections that sustain the everyday. That's very important, too.

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

::wubs:: ClaudiaTherese

I wanna be you when I grow up. [Hat]

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Papa Janitor:
I'm behind on archiving, but they're on my list.

Why are you behind? Surely you don't have anything else to do! ;-)
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mintieman
Member # 4620

- posted      Profile for Mintieman   Email Mintieman         Edit/Delete Post 
As a long time lurker, Landmarks are what makes this place special. I hope the tradition continues
Posts: 122 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Icarus:
::wubs:: ClaudiaTherese

I wanna be you when I grow up. [Hat]

I want to be peter pan when I grow up.

This is apros pos of nothing. [Big Grin]

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by quidscribis:
Nah, Icky, you taste much better than chopped liver. [Big Grin] But then, the chopped liver I'm familiar is tough as shoe leather.

How can chopped liver be tough? Liver, I get. But chopped liver is... well, chopped. It's like a spread.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JemmyGrove
Member # 6707

- posted      Profile for JemmyGrove   Email JemmyGrove         Edit/Delete Post 
I hereby award ClaudiaTherese 200 cool points for her use of 'serendipitous confluence' in her post. It's priceless.

[Hat]

Posts: 270 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

I said chopped, not minced.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.