FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Underground cave growers in TN

Author Topic: Underground cave growers in TN
TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

- posted      Profile for TheHumanTarget           Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone else seen this? It's a grower in TN that built a very complex safehouse for their plants. I'm very impressed at how elaborate this was...I think they should gets points off of their jail time just because of their engineering skills...

Marijuana grower in underground caves

Posts: 1480 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, that's like an evil villian lair. I guess the whole secret hideout aspect didn't work though, since they got busted.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
How did the people running this get caught, do you know?
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nell Gwyn
Member # 8291

- posted      Profile for Nell Gwyn   Email Nell Gwyn         Edit/Delete Post 
[Eek!] That's really...incredible. But if they had the money to build something that elaborate, couldn't they just as easily have set themselves up with a legal business that'd be just as profitable?

<-- knows almost nothing about large-scale drug operations, or drugs on any scale, for that matter

Posts: 952 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

I don't really know anything else about this. A friend from work sent me the link.
Posts: 1480 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know, but if I had to guess, I'd bet the very high power drain this place must have put on the grid might be some indicator.
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah Karl, I could see that.

I'd love to buy that place. Not for pot growing, but just for the secret underground lair. How incredibly cool would it be to own that?

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boothby171
Member # 807

- posted      Profile for Boothby171   Email Boothby171         Edit/Delete Post 
OMFG!

They have a hydraulic ram to open and close their vault door!

Posts: 1862 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
But if they had the money to build something that elaborate, couldn't they just as easily have set themselves up with a legal business that'd be just as profitable?
Judging by the amount of pot in those pictures, there's literally no legal means to make that much money with that little of an investment.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
Human, are you a member of that forum? It looks pretty cool (busy too). Care to tell me a little bit about the people before I sign up (and apprently wait two weeks before posting)?
Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
It would ALMOST be worth being Evil to have an Evil Lair like that! It's SOOOO COOOL!
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rich Lewis
Member # 9192

- posted      Profile for Rich Lewis   Email Rich Lewis         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow! Illegal or not, those are some folks that put some hard work into growing their business!
Posts: 32 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

I'm not a member of the board, so I can't really tell you what to expect. I was just so impressed that I felt the need to share...
Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought some of you might be interested in the news link: http://www.newschannel5.com/content/news/16405.asp

I got sent this in my email from a friend in Tennessee months ago.

-K

Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't a cave, like, an ideal environment for farming mushrooms? And wouldn't that be fairly profitable and a lot more legal?
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
Depends on what kind of mushrooms.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
I do believe that the Canadian government grows marijuana (for medical use) in climate-controlled caves. I'll see if I can find a link.
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dantesparadigm
Member # 8756

- posted      Profile for dantesparadigm           Edit/Delete Post 
How on Earth does someone not notice the kind of electrical bill they must run up having those lights on all day?

Or is that why they got caught?

Posts: 959 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
Watch the video on the link I gave. They talked about power outages on the street, which is one of the things that tipped the police off.
Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
It isn't illegal to use that much electricity, as long as you pay the bill. [Big Grin]
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
Kwea, it's not illegal, but if you use huge amounts of electricity in a residential setting power companies will turn you in to the authorities as suspicious.

Wow, that is quite a setup those guys had!

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Danzig
Member # 4704

- posted      Profile for Danzig   Email Danzig         Edit/Delete Post 
They probably got caught by the electrical bill. Lots of times the heat signature will give away above ground grow ops, but with a cave I don't know how big a factor it would be. The weakest link is always the human one, though.

I agree with the mushroom option, although mine would be illegal. Mushrooms use much less electricity, and are at least as profitable on a small scale.

Posts: 1364 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
My little brother was a grower. He had the entire second floor/attic of the house he lived in filled with plants. I would have a hard time guessing how many plants there were total when I walked in, but there were TONS of them.

He estimated that he had 65,000 dollars worth. From those pics, I'd guess those growers have ten to thirty times as many plants as he had.

So somewhere in the range of $650,000 to $2,000,000 dollars worth those guys had. And that's one crop.

If those guys grew (legal) mushrooms down there, they might make that much in their lifetimes. Maybe.

Drug dealing (and growing) isn't very smart but it certainly is profitable until you get caught (which, of course, my brother did).

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

The man behind the whole thing was able to plead guilty to just a few of the charges, and will be sentenced to a maximum of 18 years in prison, about a third of which he'd probably serve.

The Tennessean article detailing it.

850 plants with a yield of 100 pounds every two months. In other words, X, your brother was probably low on his estimate (edit: never mind, I see that that's per crop).

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.