FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » A Day in the Ninth Ward

Author Topic: A Day in the Ninth Ward
Avadaru
Member # 3026

- posted      Profile for Avadaru   Email Avadaru         Edit/Delete Post 
My brother-in-law recently spent a day wandering around the Ninth Ward in New Orleans and photographing the damage...I've been through a lot of the flooded areas and still hadn't seen anything like this up close. I know there have been plenty of topics on the hurricanes and tons of news coverage, but it's different (at least for me) seeing the destruction on the news and seeing snapshots that a family member took. Anyway, I just wanted to share these with y'all. Some of them really blew me away.

A Day in the 9th Ward

Posts: 1225 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
How Sobering. I find it really shocking to see how 6 months after Katrina so little has been done in so many devastated regions.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah. I went to a concert down there a few weeks ago and I couldn't believe how much trash was still piled up, waiting to be hauled away.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JennaDean
Member # 8816

- posted      Profile for JennaDean   Email JennaDean         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow.
Posts: 1522 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, wow, thanks for sharing your BIL's photos.
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you for sharing. That is very sobering.
Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zotto!
Member # 4689

- posted      Profile for Zotto!   Email Zotto!         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, powerful pictures, Avadaru. Thanks for sharing. [Frown]

One thing: while it's a terrible situation all around, I don't think it's all that surprising that "so little" has been done. I live on the island of Kauai, which was hit hard by hurricane Iniki in 1992, and it was somewhere in the neighborhood of five years before most of the debris was cleaned up. There is still a hotel standing here which was never reopened, and if I'm not mistaken, the area hit by the hurricane here was much smaller than the area that was hit by Katrina, and of course far less developed.

Posts: 1595 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.