FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Democrat vs Republican (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Democrat vs Republican
Jeesh
Member # 9163

- posted      Profile for Jeesh           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know which I am. Can someone tell me (or post a link to a site) what they are for or against?
Posts: 1164 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Why do you have to be either? [Smile]
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheDisgruntledPostman
Member # 7200

- posted      Profile for TheDisgruntledPostman   Email TheDisgruntledPostman         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, Republicans are usually for big buisness, where Democrats are for smaller buisnesses. Republicans are usualy pro-war, democrats, anti, there's a whole bunch. You dont nessesarly have to be just one, i dont like to consider myself partained to a certain party, just to the candident that has more similiar beliefs to me at the time of election. I more republican last two elections because right now im pro-war in the middle east, just me, but there are a multiple of differences between the two.
Posts: 262 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
I am neither. My family is strongly Republican. In relation to them, I certainly appear Democratic, but I am not Democratic either. I think both parties are full of dishonesty and hidden agendas, and I don't trust either of them. When it comes to chosing a candidate, I don't have the "luxury" of automatically voting "my party". I have to work, ponder, puzzle, and soul-search. It ain't fun.
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reticulum
Member # 8776

- posted      Profile for Reticulum           Edit/Delete Post 
Realm of influence... realm of influence.

But back on topic. I could give you a probable answer if you listed a few of your preferences politically. Refer to Disgruntaled's Post. (Pun DEFINITELY intended.

Posts: 2121 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by beverly:
I am neither. My family is strongly Republican. In relation to them, I certainly appear Democratic, but I am not Democratic either. I think both parties are full of dishonesty and hidden agendas, and I don't trust either of them. When it comes to chosing a candidate, I don't have the "luxury" of automatically voting "my party". I have to work, ponder, puzzle, and soul-search. It ain't fun.

Oh yes. This is me as well.
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay . . . in a nutshell, the Republicans favor mandating everybody be Christian, creating an authoritarian, all-powerful government, giving every male soldier his own tank or jet, paying for it all by discontinuing all government services to civilians (except police), outlawing homosexuality, and giving money to corporations and rich individuals.

The Democrats wish to outlaw Christianity, whites, and males. They would like to dismantle the military, and favor an international strategy of "everybody just getting along." They want everyone to be happy, so they want to take all your money in taxes, and give it away at government-sponsored ATMs that anybody can walk up to and take cash from. Including you, of course. They also favor retooling the schools to fix everything your parents are doing wrong, and abortions for everyone (men too; anything else would be sexist).

Libertarians are for unshackling the giant corporations so they can finally get down to making us all happy, and free drugs for everyone. They believe that if they were in power, they could reduce the size of the government to a small office some place central, like Des Moines, by about next Tuesday.

I hope that helps. [Smile]

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeesh
Member # 9163

quote:
Originally posted by Icarus:
Why do you have to be either? [Smile]

Well, I wanted to check them out and see if I was one or the other, right now I'm not. [Smile]
Posts: 1164 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I don't know which I am. Can someone tell me (or post a link to a site) what they are for or against?
I could... But honestly, these days I suspect the "official" platforms are often as accurate a depiction of members as John Wayne Gacy is an accurate depiction of circus clowns.

Roughly, what they'll *say* they're for, is this.

Republicans want less government, particularly less federal government, wanting to pass on as many rights and choices as possible to the states. They believe many functions currently maintained or subsidized by government would be more effectively carried out by private industry. Along those lines, they also tend to favor less regulation and be strong supporters of "free" markets, in the belief that such choices bring about the most consumer choices and the most innovative developments in the private sector. They tend to oppose gun control and favor capital punishment (the "death penalty"), while opposing abortion and favoring laws that restrict or ban it.

Democrats believe that government can work effectively for "the people" and accomplish a lot of things that the private sector cannot or will not. They favor more regulation in the name of environmental, worker, and consumer protections. Though traditionally they have been tied to unions (or "organized labor") recent democrats have also been much more open to "free markets" easing restrictions on trade between the United States and foreign countries, which much of organized labor opposes, believing such conditions make labor negotiations more difficult and worsen conditions for U.S. workers. They tend to favor gun control and oppose restrictions on abortion. Many consider them opposed to the death penalty, though my own observations suggest these days they split almost fifty-fifty.

So, that's a mouthful and a half. I'll note that I'm a Democrat, and while I've tried to be fair, anything I say may "swing" towards putting my own party in the best possible light.

Questions willingly accepted. Official sites:

http://www.democrats.org/
http://www.rnc.org/

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty
Member # 8855

- posted      Profile for smitty   Email smitty         Edit/Delete Post 
Glad someone put a description that didn't involve Republicans all being theocratic war mongers intent on taking over the world, and then handing it to big business.

Some of us are isolationist gun nuts [Razz]

Posts: 880 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Advent 115
Member # 8914

- posted      Profile for Advent 115   Email Advent 115         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm, Jeesh I say you should choose a Republican Hatracker and a Democrat Hatracker to fight to the death and whoever wins you join their side. [Evil Laugh]

Or you could just let them spout off to you what each side views as important issues. [Big Grin]

p.s. I'm a Democrat

Posts: 1941 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty
Member # 8855

You know, I would actually go for taking the top 5 presidential candidates, and placing them in a deathmatch, with the winner taking the election.

It would at least be worth a shot!

Posts: 880 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeesh
Member # 9163

Were you thinking you and someone else?

Smitty, Arnold S (can't spell Schwarznager [Frown] ) would definatly be president. But if I had a staff...

Advent 115
Member # 8914

- posted      Profile for Advent 115   Email Advent 115         Edit/Delete Post 
I was thinking a fight to the death with lightsabers. [Evil]

But staffs will work, they just aren't as cool. [Wink]

Posts: 1941 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tresopax
Member # 1063

- posted      Profile for Tresopax           Edit/Delete Post 
Here's what I recommend. Don't worry about being a Democrat or a Republican, and instead just believe in whatever you decide for yourself to be the right answer to each specific political question. (In other words, Independent. [Wink] )
Posts: 8120 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Advent 115
Member # 8914

Ahh, but I wanted a fight to the death with lightsabers. [Frown]
smitty
Member # 8855

See, I would think the weak 4 would gang up on the strong one. But it's hard to tell who'll backstab who in the world of politics.
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Advent 115:
Hmm, Jeesh I say you should choose a Republican Hatracker and a Democrat Hatracker to fight to the death and whoever wins you join their side. [Evil Laugh]

p.s. I'm a Democrat

I accept your challenge.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Advent 115
Member # 8914

You mean like this?

Republicans= @
Democrats= $

---@
@ $
@
-@
_______

----@
-@$
--@
----@
_______

--@$ @-
@ @ @
_________

(Democrat killed, Republican "Empire" takes over)
[Evil Laugh]

MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
It depends. Democrats can use tools and know about science, but Republicans are pre-historically strong. If the Democrat had his spacesuit I think he'd win, but I don't know, what if the Republican has a wicked club?

I think it depends on where they are fighting. If they're on the moon (assuming the Republican could for some reason live there), the Democrat would definitely win. If they were in a cave, then the Republican would win, obviously.

Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reticulum
Member # 8776

- posted      Profile for Reticulum           Edit/Delete Post 
I can do this awesome thing with my voice, where I sound exactly like the guy from movie trailers. Also, I can PERFECTLY imitate the guy from VH1 who talks about rich people. If I ever find a recorder, I will show you guys.
Posts: 2121 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Advent 115
Member # 8914

HAHA! *turns on lightsaber* To the death! [Evil]
smitty
Member # 8855

Republicans have guns. 'nuff said.

Edit: And fire.

Advent 115
Member # 8914

*fires shot off* That is for the set backs in Abortion legalization!
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's how you tell the difference between a Democrat and a Republican.

Throw a quarter on a table and turn your back.
Now a Democrat will steal your quarter from you,
but a Republican will kill you for it.

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty
Member # 8855

well, probably not for just a quarter
Advent 115
Member # 8914

See, we are the lesser of two evils. [Big Grin]

*thinks about it*

.....HEY! WAIT A SECOND!!!! [Mad]

hugh57
Member # 5527

- posted      Profile for hugh57   Email hugh57         Edit/Delete Post 
Democrats give their old, worn-out clothes to those less fortunate.

Republicans wear theirs. [Wink]

Posts: 241 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Advent 115
Member # 8914

No, Republicans burn theirs. [Evil]
Morbo
Member # 5309

Icarus' government ATM scheme reminds me of a simple solution to the Florida tourist suggested by John D. McDonald (I think, it was one of those Florida mystery writers). All tourists would carry around small ATMs that would dispense dollar bills every 5 minutes, and the nearest FL native would snag them.
Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

Please, many Republicans will give you a new set of clothes, but only if you swear, in a legally binding way, to worship Jesus. And by worship, they mean their way.

Democrats, on the other hand, will do their best to get you someone else's clothes, but they're going to expect you to recognize them as your moral superior.

Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Advent 115
Member # 8914

No. We expect them to think for themselves. And believe that women have the right to control what happens in their own bodies.
smitty
Member # 8855

Wow. Apparently I'm not supposed to donating my clothes to goodwill. That's just as well, I like fire anyway.
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

I thought you lot just up and shot your clothes when they got old.
Advent 115
Member # 8914

See, Republicans enjoy their wastefulness. Which is why they want bigger SUV's. I'm kidding, some Democrats want bigger SUV's too. We just want them to be fuel efffecient. [Wink]
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Proving that neither party lives in the real world at all. [Wink]
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Advent 115
Member # 8914

Maybe, but then again what is the real world?
smitty
Member # 8855

No, we just shoot up our SUV's when they get old. And that's after we douse them with gasoline and burn them.
Advent 115
Member # 8914

Really? Hmm, I always figured that Republicans recycled them as bullets for their illegetimate wars for oil.
smitty
Member # 8855

Well, if we ever fought illegitimate wars for oil, we'd probably do that. For now, we'll have to settle for being incredibly wasteful, greedy, and sanctimonious.
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

You know, if you willie-pete up your bullets, they'll burn so much you can't even put them out with water. You can get shooting and burning all in one neat little Charlton Heston approved package.
Morbo
Member # 5309

Jeesh, I'll try to post a serious answer to your question tomorrow. [Sleep]
Morbo
Member # 5309

No, no, [No No] it's recycled uranium that gets made into bullets.

I wish I was joking, but I'm not.

smitty
Member # 8855

You know, you can buy those as a civilian. I'm seriously wanting to try those out. Fire and Guns at the same time....

Jeesh, Sterling's post earlier was the only one that wasn't a joke or seriously colored by people's prejudice. I suggest looking at that.

smitty
Member # 8855

Depleted uranium, not recycled.
Advent 115
Member # 8914

So not only are we killing them, we're also irradiating those who get shot? Dang, that sucks.

And goodnight Morbo. [Wave]

MrSquicky
Member # 1802

Do they actually use DU for bullets? I thought it was only for larger bore shells as anti-armor ammunition.

Also, that seriously freaks me out that you can buy white phosphorus rounds as a civilian. What possible purpose could you have for that?

smitty
Member # 8855

Well, now that I'm looking, they're just tracer, not WP. Shoot! I wanted them because they'd be cool!

Edit: Apparently the flash-bang ammunition that used to be available was taken off the market. That was pretty slick too.

I think the do use DU for some bullets, but last I heard it wasn't general use.

Kristen
Member # 9200

- posted      Profile for Kristen   Email Kristen         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't realize there was a difference between the two. [Wink]
Posts: 484 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0range7Penguin
Member # 7337

- posted      Profile for 0range7Penguin           Edit/Delete Post 
In the end it comes down to this....the Republicans currently control everthing so "na na na boo boo" to the democrats. [Evil Laugh]
Posts: 832 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.