FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Halo 3 plot or the Gamer Thread (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Halo 3 plot or the Gamer Thread
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
So, how is it? Any reviews?
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beatnix19
Member # 5836

- posted      Profile for beatnix19   Email beatnix19         Edit/Delete Post 
I put in a few hours on the solo campaign last night and I'm really enjoying it. I don't yet own a high-def television but even on my Standard set it looks great and the game play is very exciting. It's not much different from Halo 2 but the small cahnges they made are great. This time around you can tear turret guns from their bases and carry them around. You can also pick up field equipment to use, such as portable shields. The story has been very good so far also. Definately worth the 60 bucks. i haven't played online yet but I can't wait for the 4 player co-op. Already been talking with some freinds about playing soon, just waiting on everyone to get their copies so we can do it up right.
Posts: 1294 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, it does look better even on a regular TV. They have enough aliens to keep 4 players busy. It was kind of annoying that my husband was trying to play through on legendary right out of the box. [Roll Eyes]

The fortune cookies from Cortana were starting to get annoying until I realized they were from Chief's "childhood."

I don't know, maybe when Master Chief fell to Earth and Johnson thought he was dead, he had a near death experience and Cortana's ghost latched onto him. I'm thinking that to destroy the threat, Master Chief and Cortana's "Horcrux" (sorry, can't help it) will have to die. Maybe.

But I don't know how you can ever be sure all the flood in the Galaxy are wiped out.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
I played the first mission and a half or so solo and then from there to mission four in online co-op. It was a really good time.

It isn't harrowing or intense in the way Gears of War is, it's got a very different vibe. I love Gears, but I like this too.

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
***HERE BE SPOILERS***

Storywise, I was mostly satisfied. The rescue of Cortana from the Gravemine was a pretty intense segment of the game. The alternating transmissions/telepathic messages really had me invested.

I only have a couple of gripes with the story. First, I wished the Arbiter had been given more of an active role. In Halo 2 I found his character much more interesting than the Chief's. In this game though, he's almost completely pushed to the rear. He tags along for most of the missions but rarely seems to have an important role. If you're playing single player, his main use is soaking up bullets headed your way.

Second, I found Guilty Spark's betrayal pretty unbelievable. It didn't seem necessary for the plot just so they could include one more boss fight. Why not Guilty Spark vs. New-Halo-Moniter with a bunch of sentinels?

Graphics. As others before me have noted, they're gorgeous. The particle effects used for explosions are absolutely top notch. Occaisionally, the light reflections off armor or metal can be a bit blinding, but adjusting the brightness settings fixed this up.

The sound is overall very good. The music is fantastic and almost always perfectly captures the mood of a scene. The voice acting is also quite good...which leads me to my one complaint. So often in Halo 3 (and the entire series, come to think of it) the speech volume has always been set too low, or the music volume too high. I don't know if others have experienced this, but often I have a really difficult time understanding what was being said. In some instances, I couldn't hear the speech at all. There weren't any audio settings to fix this, so I'll just recommend turning on the subtitles option. Don't worry, they don't appear during actual gameplay.

The gameplay is, as you would expect, fantastic. It's going to take me some time to get used to the new controller layout, but intellectually, I like it better. The additional equipment you can deploy (portable shields, healing areas, personal shield drainers, etc) really ratchet up the complexity of the game, and allow for a great deal more in the way of tactics. The new weapons and vehicles are all fun to try out. Which ones will stand up in multiplayer is hard to say, except that the Mongoose (a squirrelly two-person ATV) will likely have limited usefulness. Speaking of vehicles, the AI for NPC drivers is uncharacteristically bad.

Overall, this game is a satisfying end to a great trilogy of games. I'd give it somewhere between a 9.0 and a 9.7 pending further multiplayer/forge testing.

Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
I've ignored the campaign mode for the most part as I can only play that when my wife is off work.

I've played a truckload online however do all of you folks have handles?

I'm BlackBladed "BlackBlade and BlackBlades" were already taken sadly. I'd love to setup a hatrack friends list and play games with you folks when you are around.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll try and let you know before we do our free trial, which we may save for Thanksgiving weekend or something. I've held the line on Xbox Live up until now. I've heard of too many cases where people can't ever get offline once they start online gaming.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by pooka:
I'll try and let you know before we do our free trial, which we may save for Thanksgiving weekend or something. I've held the line on Xbox Live up until now. I've heard of too many cases where people can't ever get offline once they start online gaming.

I towed pretty much the same line until Halo 3 came out and I purchased 1 month of Xbox Live jus to see how I handle it, as well as how well it runs. So far I am pleased with both aspects of the situation.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
[My Live tag is] "Chemander Keen"

Added 2: I've got Halo 3 now and have already played it a bit, but I'm going to be away until Tuesday.

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged
Member # 7476

- posted      Profile for Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged   Email Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged         Edit/Delete Post 
In other news Halo 3 is now officially the biggest entertainment launch in history, bringing in over $170 million in the U.S. alone during the first day of availability.
Posts: 796 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
In related news, approximately 1 million people registered with Xbox live on Tuesday.
Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Damien.m
Member # 8462

- posted      Profile for Damien.m   Email Damien.m         Edit/Delete Post 
Slightly scary.
Posts: 243 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MEC
Member # 2968

- posted      Profile for MEC   Email MEC         Edit/Delete Post 
In more related news, the Halo movie is dead.
Posts: 2489 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Descolada Survivor
Member # 9019

- posted      Profile for Descolada Survivor   Email Descolada Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Juxtapose:
***HERE BE SPOILERS***

Speaking of vehicles, the AI for NPC drivers is uncharacteristically bad.

Jux have you ever let the AI drive in Halo 1 or 2? It has always been horrible.
Posts: 110 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Omega M.:
I've probably just been branded by Nintendo, but isn't Master Chief essentially a male Samus Aran, in that they both wear armor that most of the time makes them indistinguishable from robots?

At one point in Halo 3, I was standing perfectly still next to some marines. One of them said "Uh, you're a .. a dude, right?" and the other one said "man, i can't tell if he's awake or asleep in there"

I thought of this post.

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.