FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » linux compatible laptop?

Author Topic: linux compatible laptop?
Dav
Member # 8217

- posted      Profile for Dav           Edit/Delete Post 
I'd like to buy a laptop and set it up to dual boot with Windows/Linux. Has anyone out there bought a laptop recently and tried Linux on it, and found compatibility to be good/bad/indifferent?

The basic hardware support is crucial: decent video support, wired networking (ethernet), sound, dvd/cd-drive.

I'd also really like wireless networking on linux, though I could get by without it if necessary.

I already have had my desktop PC dual booting Windows/Linux for about 2 years now, and it works pretty well for me. But now I'd like to have a laptop too for when I go on trips, and I don't want to miss out on fiddling with Linux when I'm on vacation [Smile]

PS: If I'm really ambitious, I may even try doing a tri-boot configuration with BSD as well.

Posts: 120 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
From my understanding, wirelss might be one of your biggest compatibility issues. Most cards don't have native linux drivers, and my experiences with driver wrappers have been less than good. I don't know for sure about the other areas, but when I put it on my desktop there was no problem. I did have to download libdvdcss to get dvd playback, but the install was fairly painless.
Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
human_2.0
Member # 6006

- posted      Profile for human_2.0   Email human_2.0         Edit/Delete Post 
Get a MacBook. Quad boot it. Ok, I don't think they boot Windows yet, but...
Posts: 1209 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dantesparadigm
Member # 8756

- posted      Profile for dantesparadigm           Edit/Delete Post 
I almost bought a MacBook Pro but I went with the 12" PowerBook instead because it was less expensive and well proven. I'm a recent convert to the wonderful world of Apple and I haven't looked back since.
Posts: 959 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.