FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Armageddon Scenarios: Hands-On Processes Run Amuck

Author Topic: Armageddon Scenarios: Hands-On Processes Run Amuck
skillery
Member # 6209

- posted      Profile for skillery   Email skillery         Edit/Delete Post 
I sometimes daydream about what life would be like if I were the last person on earth. At first it might seem like fun, having everybody's toys at your disposal, but have you ever imagined what kinds of processes might run out of control if somebody wasn't actively involved?

For example: I have experience in the wastewater treatment automation industry, and I have witnessed a process at the sewer plant that can only be done by a human, and if left undone results in the failure of the entire plant. There is an area of the sewer plant called the headworks, which is the initial catch basin for all the wastewater coming into the plant. Wastewater is extremely oily, and this oil rises to the surface as the water arrives at the headworks. This results in a large cake of lard accumulating on the surface of the headworks. In Orange County, California, a 1-foot thick cake accumulates on the approximately 50-foot by 50-foot headworks every day. This cake must be pulverized by a man directing a blast of hot water from a fire hose. If the cake is allowed to accumulate, the headworks will overflow.

Of course if there are no people left, there won't be any wastewater flowing, but hopefully you get the idea.

Anyway, does anybody have any firsthand knowledge of other critical hands-on processes that our society depends on?

Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
National security. If I was the last person on Earth, who'd fight the terrorists?
Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

Within a few days of the bombing of Hiroshima, domesticated dogs had reverted to hunting in packs.
Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Will B
Member # 7931

- posted      Profile for Will B   Email Will B         Edit/Delete Post 
Food production and delivery.
Repair of pretty much anything.
Medical treatment.
Flying or driving (will make the first hours of solitude exciting).
Movie reviews.

Posts: 1877 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
If you are the last man on earth, I'm fairly certain you will be cowering in fear of the sentient robots who exterminated us...

Maybe I've read too much sci-fi, though.

Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Damien.m
Member # 8462

- posted      Profile for Damien.m   Email Damien.m         Edit/Delete Post 
I dont have any experiance in this field but i imagine that over time every nuclear reactor in the world would malfunction spewing nuclear waste into the surrounding areas, perhaps a few of them would meltdown thus making many places compleatly uninhabitable. But hey if you are the last person in the world im sure ull find a safe place somewhere
Posts: 243 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Within a few days of the bombing of Hiroshima, domesticated dogs had reverted to hunting in packs.
I don't know about the few days part, but similar things have been observed in New Orleans.
Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

I wonder about dams. Does somebody have to manually open the flood gates, or is that all automated? I think a lot a dams would probably wash out eventually from lack of attention.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.