FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Worthing vs. 2nd Foundation

Author Topic: Worthing vs. 2nd Foundation
Hari Seldon
Member # 9254

- posted      Profile for Hari Seldon   Email Hari Seldon         Edit/Delete Post 
Starting a new thread. I thought it might be interesting to make a comparison between 2 of the giants in Sci-Fi.

I wonder what people think about the similarities between Asimov's Second Foundation and OSC's group in the Worthing Saga who do not allow the world to experience pain.

Both create an altruistic "Big Brother" like secrety society who aim to 'guide' humanity and keep it from destroying itself. This is a very rudimentary comparison at best. But interesting for further discussion perhaps?

Posts: 69 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Seatarsprayan
Member # 7634

- posted      Profile for Seatarsprayan   Email Seatarsprayan         Edit/Delete Post 
I prefer the Worthing stories. I wasn't as interested in Lared's life, but the stories of Capitol and Worthing, especially the moral ramifications of free will, were captivating.
Posts: 454 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hari Seldon
Member # 9254

- posted      Profile for Hari Seldon   Email Hari Seldon         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree. Worthing is much more compelling fiction. But I find the comparisons to the Second Foundation intriguing nonetheless.
Posts: 69 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0range7Penguin
Member # 7337

- posted      Profile for 0range7Penguin           Edit/Delete Post 
Definatly worthing. Much more personal. Almost every character in the Asimov's books end up sounding like a scientist.
Posts: 832 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
Whoa whoa. Slow down with the new topics, champ. We've got enough of that going on right now.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kristen
Member # 9200

- posted      Profile for Kristen   Email Kristen         Edit/Delete Post 
I am actually reading the Foundation series right now and I definitely agree with Orange about the scientists. And Card is obviously a better writer stylistically, and even though he creates complex worlds, also devotes equal attention to the characters.

And (this may change later on), in Foundation, they are all men! I know Asimov was from an earlier generation, but I can't believe that out of all the brilliant minds in the universe there are no females.

Posts: 484 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome, Hari. I personally liked Worthing much better than the Foundation series. The first two Foundation books were great, but I quickly lost interest after that.

FYI - Starting 4 new topics inside a half hour is generally considered bad form. Especially considering that you've posted 8 times, and half of those were thread starters. Try to ease your way in by reading and responding to existing topics.

Look here for further tips.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think you can say one is a better writer than the other, they just have very different styles. I enjoyed both books/series, although it has been about a decade since I read either. . . I've never thought of the similarities before, but it's an interesting idea.

----

I add my welcome to the forum. And I'll disagree slightly with Primal and JT. . . you're obviously enthusiastic and have a lot you want to talk about, and that's great and I have no problem with you starting a lot of threads right off, although you probably will find that more people respond to you if you've been active in other threads that you didn't start as well. What gets to be a problem is when one person is starting a lot of threads at once that aren't about anything in particular. We've had quite a bit of that happening around here recently, so I think we're a bit trigger-happy. [Smile]

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hari Seldon
Member # 9254

Thank you for your kind welcome.

Sorry bout the trigger happy thread starting! I was at work and it was really slow, and I have just been thinking a lot about Asimov vs. OSC for a while now. I'll take all the advice though! Thanks

peace out

Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
Saying, "peace out" is generally considered bad form around here...

Ha! Just kidding, welcome to Hatrack. [Big Grin]

Seriously though, no ebonics. [No No]

Ha! I made another funny.

Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Juxtapose:
Seriously though, no ebonics. [No No]

What the hell? Did you just say that?
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hari Seldon
Member # 9254

TOO MANY RULES - FASCISTO!

KIDDING!

Keep it real homies

ps - how do i do the finger shaking thing - that is phat dawg!

(ok, no more ebonics)

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.