FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » redundancy in speech, if you will

Author Topic: redundancy in speech, if you will
Hari Seldon
Member # 9254

- posted      Profile for Hari Seldon   Email Hari Seldon         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't you love when people write or speak, and they include certain extra phrases that we are all probably better off without, per se. And I am just as guilty as the next guy. There's a word for these commonly used phrases, but for some reason I can't remember it. Help me out!

Anyway, Lets start a list of these phrases. Here are a few of my favourites, in no particular order:

If you will
per se
in no particular order
that's what i heard
no offense but
just kidding
so they say
in lieu of
if i may
not that there's anything wrong with that (Seinfeld does a great lampoon of this one)
But seriously folks,
if you will
for the life of me
not for nothing

Posts: 69 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kristen
Member # 9200

- posted      Profile for Kristen   Email Kristen         Edit/Delete Post 
First and foremost!
Posts: 484 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
hey! i consider myself something of an apprentice wordsmith and those are all very important phrases. especially "in lieu of." very important. if i had to say that a particular oft repeated phrase was unnecessary, i would say it is "in my opinion." because, if i'm saying it, i think it should be obvious that it is my opinion, but that is just my opinion.
Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I hate it when people pepper their speech with "call 911! Call 911!" It's like a verbal tic with some people.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

heh heh, you just made me think of a very funny, very, very off topic, very crass horoscope from theoion.com. here goes: "stop screaming "RAPE! RAPE!" all the time. i mean, it's obvious to everyone that's what your doing." sorry if anyone is offended.
Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BandoCommando
Member # 7746

- posted      Profile for BandoCommando           Edit/Delete Post 
I like totally like hate it, like, when, like, people, like, use, like, the, like, word, like, like, like, every, like, other, like, word.

Do you know what I mean? (there's another one!)

ya know

Posts: 1099 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hari Seldon
Member # 9254

- posted      Profile for Hari Seldon   Email Hari Seldon         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't get me started
don't go there
keep it on the down low
ya know what i mean?

Posts: 69 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by BandoCommando:
I like totally like hate it, like, when, like, people, like, use, like, the, like, word, like, like, like, every, like, other, like, word.

Do you know what I mean? (there's another one!)

ya know

I did that on a a slide on a Powerpoint I had to give in my Geography class. It was cleary intentional and making a mockery of common American slang. But the teacher, I guess, didn't get it and took off points. I was rather upset about that, to be sure.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
Presentations in geography class are usually not the appropriate place for that kind of social commentary.

Furthermore, almost none of these examples are actually examples of redundancy.

Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celaeno
Member # 8562

- posted      Profile for Celaeno   Email Celaeno         Edit/Delete Post 
"It seems to me..."

My philosophy professor couldn't get off it. We used to keep track, and he said it at least fifteen times in every hour long period.

(And now I'm guilty of it.)

Posts: 866 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Furthermore, almost none of these examples are actually examples of redundancy.
Oddly enough, this thread has very little to do with redundancy. A better title might be "Superfluous speech, if you will."

I'm ever so tired of people using the phrase, "I'm real."

"I don't play it like that! I'm real, dawg."

It makes me want to stare blankly at the offending party, then shake them while exclaiming joyously, "Yes! You are, Pinocchio! You are a real boy!"

Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irregardless
Member # 8529

- posted      Profile for Irregardless   Email Irregardless         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with vonk that some of your examples are perfectly good figures of speech, particularly 'in lieu of.'
Posts: 326 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
My only problem with "per se" is people who don't know what it means using it erroneously. Most of these don't bother me when used correctly.
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

What's wrong with "in no particular order?"

You can't say NO order, because it clearly is.

Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celaeno
Member # 8562

- posted      Profile for Celaeno   Email Celaeno         Edit/Delete Post 
Certainly some of these are redundant by nature; e.g., "in my opinion" and "it seems to me" are redundant because the listener assumes that even without those phrases.
Posts: 866 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Not always.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with those who (a) would choose "superfluous" over "redundant," and (b) believe that the phrases aren't superfluous in all situations. Rather, they tend to be used improperly more often than not, so they become tedious.

Including "if you will" on the list twice was kinda redundant, though.

--Pop

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
I love it when a math or philosophy text will just hit you with a "clearly, blah blah blah..." If it's clear, then it doesn't need to be said - if it's not clear, then you ought to explain how you got there.
Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

Sometimes, things are opaquely so.
genius00345
Member # 8206

- posted      Profile for genius00345   Email genius00345         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Hari Seldon:
There's a word for these commonly used phrases, but for some reason I can't remember it. Help me out!

I guess they're sort of really common cliches. Is that the word you were looking for?
Posts: 206 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
I have recently sat through an 8 hour (two half days) presentation by a man with a couple of quite noticable verbal tics.

I'm always afraid I'll get "infected" by one of them.

I think these things are content-free filler and creep into people's speech when they have learned to avoid using "um" or "er." It's just the brain take a mid-sentence break and forgetting to tell the mouth to stop moving.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
Redundancy: "Well, the thing is, is that...
Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cheiros do ender
Member # 8849

- posted      Profile for cheiros do ender   Email cheiros do ender         Edit/Delete Post 
"If I was reading you correctly..."
Posts: 1138 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vadon
Member # 4561

- posted      Profile for Vadon           Edit/Delete Post 
Hm... Since I do Speech and Debate for our school, I've seen quite a few of them. My example aren't exactly redundancy in repeating themselves, but they are things that are said far too often.

The ones I see quite often are...

"See what I mean?"(innocent)
" ...I mean, if you look at..." (guilty)
"y'know?" (innocent)
"As opposed to"(Guilty)
"However, we must first look at"(guilty)

A pet peeve of mine that I recently started to have is when people use literally improperly.

For example, if one was to say that "After the Soviet Union collapsed, Russia literally exploded" (I heard in a speech)

No, they didn't literally explode. There was no great bomb that wiped Russia off the map.

Posts: 1831 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kristen
Member # 9200

- posted      Profile for Kristen   Email Kristen         Edit/Delete Post 
This is slightly off-topic, but any of the euphenisms used in political sound bites these days grates on my nerves like you wouldn't believe:

"We've got a peacekeeping task force" (actually contains an oxymoron!)
"Insurgents were pacified..."

Posts: 484 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
The one that makes me grind my teeth is "at the end of the day,..."

It was bad enough when ordinary people used it, but in recent years politicians started peppering their speech with it in lame attempts at appearing folksy. [Grumble] [Wall Bash]

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
akhockey
Member # 8394

- posted      Profile for akhockey           Edit/Delete Post 
Here's an actual example of each and every redundancy the general public uses on a regular routine.
Posts: 193 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hari Seldon
Member # 9254

Hey Jon Boy - lighten up... I knew redundancy was the wrong word - what I meant was, and it finally jumped off the tip of my tongue after being stuck there all day, was CLICHE, sorry to be so redundant
Hari Seldon
Member # 9254

OH! I just remembered a few new Buzz Cliches

Ramped up
Racheted up

Where did these come from, and why are they being used by politicians - are they trying to sound street?

Bella Bee
Member # 7027

- posted      Profile for Bella Bee   Email Bella Bee         Edit/Delete Post 
This is slightly off topic, so appologies - but I hate it when people refer to birthday in txt speak, out loud, as 'b-day'.

As in 'So, did you have fun on your b-day?'. It gives me a strange and disturbing mental image. [Angst]

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hari Seldon
Member # 9254

sorry to reply AGAIN, but I just thought of one of my favorite cliches. Its easier to think of them if you just start typing, because you find they just start rolling off your tongue (there's one). Where would I be without my trusty cliches? Probably up a creek without a paddle. Now, was that a cliche or a euphemism? I never can tell, I guess its a fine line (oops another one). But I digress (see, i just used my favorite one there - isn't that something (another one)). I guess i'm the pot calling the kettle black aren't I?
vonk
Member # 9027

i say "like nobodies business" all the time. if it were really nobodies business, i suppose i wouldn't have said it.
Hari Seldon
Member # 9254

speaking of birthdays, don't you hate it when someone wishes you a happy birthday, and out of habit, or ritual, or laziness or thought you say it back to them as a greeting. Oh that is so embarassing... wait, i'm the only one who does that? oops, now that is really embarassing...
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, wordsmiths, mayhaps you should consider capitalization and punctuation before you start criticizing the way people write/speak.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hari Seldon
Member # 9254

HmMmm, maYhaPs me SHould.!?
SC Carver
Member # 8173

- posted      Profile for SC Carver   Email SC Carver         Edit/Delete Post 
"that" My freshman english prof.'s petpeeve was when people threw "that" into sentences where it is not needed. Of course I can't think of any examples now, but ever since then I have caught myself doing it all the time.
Posts: 555 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

i'm not sure about anyone else, but i was only criticizing the way that i speak. and i use excellent punctuation thank you, and i don't feel the need to use capitalizaton, as you can understand perfectly what i'm saying without it. so thpbtpbtpbtpbt. [Razz]
narrativium
Member # 3230

- posted      Profile for narrativium           Edit/Delete Post 
"Lighten up." [Razz]

Any time anyone tells me to lighten up, I just feel like hitting them. It's so condescending.

Posts: 1357 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by vonk:
i'm not sure about anyone else, but i was only criticizing the way that i speak. and i use excellent punctuation thank you, and i don't feel the need to use capitalizaton, as you can understand perfectly what i'm saying without it. so thpbtpbtpbtpbt. [Razz]

I may be able to understand you, but I'm going to dismiss your opinions as idiotic because you, apparently, do not have the ability to capitalize the first word of a sentence.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

ok, buddy, that was a little harsh. but do what you want, i'll still feel pretty good about myself. have a nice day!
Hari Seldon
Member # 9254

Primal, you do realize that this whole thread was meant to be light hearted right? It was an attempt to poke fun at the cliches that we all fall back on, if you will.
Roseauthor
Member # 148

- posted      Profile for Roseauthor   Email Roseauthor         Edit/Delete Post 
Cliche's do not bother me as much as verbosity!

Have a friend who talks a lot and says ABSOLUTELY nothing! How many ways do I need to hear how what chemical binds with what for the uptake in the human body, thus creating a XXXX if you balance the XXXX and then your body does XXXX and the infection is gone. (this is actually a 1 hour speech of how the drug works in the body)

Then I have the the redundancies from her in the middle of the speeches.

I'd like really like the 'like' more than rambling on and on .. and on... about nothing in redundancy.

LOL..

BTW: my terrible habit in speech is I say "ya know?" at the end of sentences. (I really need to stop this@!$#$!)

Posts: 163 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

quote:
Originally posted by Hari Seldon:
Hey Jon Boy - lighten up... I knew redundancy was the wrong word - what I meant was, and it finally jumped off the tip of my tongue after being stuck there all day, was CLICHE, sorry to be so redundant

Seems a bit ironic to use the wrong word to criticize thoughtless speech.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.