FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Mabye another way to fight obiesty?

Author Topic: Mabye another way to fight obiesty?
TheDisgruntledPostman
Member # 7200

- posted      Profile for TheDisgruntledPostman   Email TheDisgruntledPostman         Edit/Delete Post 
(I thought of this while i was drinking my starbucks mocha frapochino) The main component to eating is taste, people eat alot, because they like the taste of food. So what would happen(this could already be on the market somewhere, but im not sure and im just putting a thought out) if some sort of pill could be used to get rid of taste. Not forever of course, but for 24 hours lets say, and this pill or medicine would hopefully have little side affects, only affects partaing to the loss of taste. I notice i eat only because i like the taste, and i'll keep eating because its good, but if there's no taste people will eat only to be full and satisfied. Also it would seem as though people who dont like the taste of healthy food (like me with salads and vegies) would eat more of it, because there's no taste to it. I dont know, it seems to work in my head, but there could be draw backs. Let me know what you think.
Posts: 262 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to the Monkey House

(let me know if you don't get the reference, I'll explain)

Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
Personally, I think I'd eat way too little without taste.

And taste isn't the only factor. So is texture.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Princess Leah
Member # 6026

- posted      Profile for Princess Leah   Email Princess Leah         Edit/Delete Post 
Dude, this is the ultimate fad diet. (That's a *bad* thing.)
Posts: 866 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
You'd have to get rid of smell as well. That right there is a lot of taste (as is texture.)

Our taste buds really are only capable of sensing a handful of flavors: sour, sweet, salty, bitter. We may be able to taste other things, but I don't know if anything has been proven. (I recently heard that tastebuds do detect fat, that fat is more than just texture. Dunno if that is true.)

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
I hate the texture of fat. *shudder*

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

Well, I guess that's not a bad thing. :grin:
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Without a sense of taste or smell, you'd be in danger of ingesting something truly dangerous.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dante
Member # 1106

- posted      Profile for Dante           Edit/Delete Post 
Like English food.
Posts: 1068 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:
Without a sense of taste or smell, you'd be in danger of ingesting something truly dangerous.

That's a failing criteria I'm afraid, its too dangerous.

On the other hand I have heard that we CAN expect a line of pharmecueticals in the next few years which will alleviate the hormonal drives in obese people to overeat. A great deal of the eating that morbidly obese people do is driven by the overproduction of hormones which cause cravings; increased fat causes increased hormones, causes more hunger. But soon there will be a cure.

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
[Cry]
No one got my literary reference.

This idea was already fictionalized, al beit it was used slightly different. In Kurt Vonneguts short story "Welcome To The Monkey House", overpopulation, not obesity, was the issue. A scientist had created a pill which numbed you completely from the waist down, thereby taking all pleasure out of sex. It was the 'ethical' way to address the problem, as it did nothing to disrupt the actual reproductive system. It just made people not want to have sex. He originally created it for monkeys, to help the behave 'appropriately' in the monkey house at the zoo (hence the name), but it was then used on humans to help control the overpopulation problem.

Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the way to combat obesity is to make all TVs bicycle powered.
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
On the other hand I have heard that we CAN expect a line of pharmecueticals in the next few years which will alleviate the hormonal drives in obese people to overeat
Man, I'd be pretty freaking leery of taking a leptin blocker to treat your overeating. You have any idea how similar the protein tyrosine phosphatases in the body are? It's a bloody nightmare to try and make a specific one. For that matter, I'd thought most major pharmaceutical companies had abandoned the idea of making such a drug because it's too difficult, but I haven't really payed much attention for a year so.
Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Man, I'd be pretty freaking leery of taking a leptin blocker to treat your overeating. You have any idea how similar the protein tyrosine phosphatases in the body are? It's a bloody nightmare to try and make a specific one. For that matter, I'd thought most major pharmaceutical companies had abandoned the idea of making such a drug because it's too difficult, but I haven't really payed much attention for a year so.
I'll just reverse the polarity of the deflector dish.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BandoCommando
Member # 7746

- posted      Profile for BandoCommando           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by romanylass:
I think the way to combat obesity is to make all TVs bicycle powered.

and computers?
Posts: 1099 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, yeah, that too.

"Mush, mush, kids, mommy's still reading Hatrack!"

Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Question: Why bother with all the fancy, expensive chemicals when all it takes is to a) not buy the chips b) pour the chips into a bowl instead of eating the whole packet or c) close the packet.

It's free! You don't have to fill your body with chemicals!

Okay, I can buy that a couple of people do have medical problems but I am fairly sure that most people who eat to much simply don't even tell themselves to stop.

quote:
Like English food.
Sigh. Peoples, I don't know where this stereotype comes from of bad English food but it's simply not true. I don't even know what you mean by English food. Stews? Mushy Peas? Fish and Chips? English muffins? Certain breads? Apple Pie? Yorkshire Pudding? Roast meat? Cheddar? A whole ton of other cheeses? English Curry?
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

Are you trying to steal our Apple Pie? [No No]
beverly
Member # 6246

Mmmmm... curry....

I've not read that story, Dr. S, but wouldn't such a pill be problematic if someone had appendicitis or the like? I must play devil's advocate....

Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

[Razz] . Ask Mr. Vonnegut.
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:
quote:
I'll just reverse the polarity of the deflector dish.
Porter, you crack me up.

Star Trek Technology References == teh Funny.

Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanecer
Member # 4068

- posted      Profile for Amanecer   Email Amanecer         Edit/Delete Post 
I got your reference Strangelove. [Razz] Vonnegut's short stories are great. They're much more focused than the majority of his novels.

As for the pill, I don't know who would choose to take it. Personally, I think lettuce is pretty tasteless and that's why I add dressing and croutons. I have no desire to take an enjoyable activity and make it into just a necessary bodily process. [Smile]

Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
Want a pill to lose weight?

Amphetamines! Just be careful that you don't start hallucinating or become neurotic and paranoid (as happened to me this winter :/)

Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

quote:
Are you trying to steal our Apple Pie?
Believe it or not, we have apples in England. In fact we have pastry too! The English went and combined the two before Columbus sailed the ocean blue.

I'm not claiming that Apple Pie isn't an American traditional dish, only that it might as well be and English dish, too. It's the same food*.

Therefore, there is nothing wrong with English food.

*Actually, American apple pies almost always contain cinnamon, which is not so much a feature of an English apple pie. So I suppose you could could say something like, "as American as a cinnamon-laden Apple Pie", thus including not only, as that rather odd article suggests, multiculturalism, but also a homegrown sense of Good Ol' American Know-How.

[Wink]

EDIT: Broken link, also, I said "American Apple Pies almost exclusively contain cinnamon" which isn't true; they also contain apples.

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dante
Member # 1106

- posted      Profile for Dante           Edit/Delete Post 
Fine, Teshi, I apologize. There is nothing wrong with food in England.

As long as you are eating in Chinese or Indian restaurants.

Posts: 1068 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by pH:
I hate the texture of fat. *shudder*

-pH

freak [Wink]
Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

quote:
Believe it or not, we have apples in England.
It's a choice? OK. I choose not.
martha
Member # 141

- posted      Profile for martha           Edit/Delete Post 
These links are for Beverly, re the four (five?) basic tastes:

http://www.umamiinfo.com/
http://www.glutamate.org/media/glutamate.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Umami

Should this be in a thread of its own?

Posts: 1785 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

I was just reading, like yesterday or the day before about that! I was googling MSG for health reasons and came across the interesting little tidbit that the tongue seems to detect MSG as a separate flavor.
Teshi
Member # 5024

quote:

As long as you are eating in Chinese or Indian restaurants.

Ha.

quote:
It's a choice? OK. I choose not.
*sigh*
TheDisgruntledPostman
Member # 7200

- posted      Profile for TheDisgruntledPostman   Email TheDisgruntledPostman         Edit/Delete Post 
I like the bike powered tv and computer. I think alot of people would loose weight dramatically, haha.
Posts: 262 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pinky
Member # 9161

- posted      Profile for Pinky   Email Pinky         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Like English food.
Sigh. Peoples, I don't know where this stereotype comes from of bad English food but it's simply not true. I don't even know what you mean by English food. Stews? Mushy Peas? Fish and Chips? English muffins? Certain breads? Apple Pie? Yorkshire Pudding? Roast meat? Cheddar? A whole ton of other cheeses? English Curry?[/QUOTE]

English BREAKFAST! (the baked beans plus- version)

Posts: 262 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, I'm betting that some people who are "naturally" thin are such because they view eating, for whatever reason more as a means to an end and less as a pleasurable activity.

For example, my mother was a horrible cook, and I was very taste sensitive anyway. So eating wasn't pleasureable for me. I ate (and still do) because if I didn't my stomach hurt and I got weak and cranky, not because of the pleasures of tasting flavors.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.