FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » A quick hurray for Ray Bradbury

Author Topic: A quick hurray for Ray Bradbury
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a collection of his early writings. These classics include "The Illustrated Man" and "The Veldt."

I read the Veldt several times from Junior High through High School. It seemed to be a classic, bad child/bad parent story then. I reread it and must say, wow. It is the Holo-Suite story that was the basis for Star-Trek's Holo-Suite stories, and is still better than any of those.

There are so many pale imitations of what he first imagined, and what he got so right. It is a pleasure to read them all.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
I second that "hurray"! Gorgeous writing.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoriSCapnSkip
Member # 9153

- posted      Profile for CoriSCapnSkip   Email CoriSCapnSkip         Edit/Delete Post 
I am in on ANY hurray for Ray Bradbury! Please join us here http://raybradburyboard.com/eve to celebrate the man and his work!
Posts: 91 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd forgotten all about "The Veldt." I think I'll have to go check me out some Ray Bradbury from the library.
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
i'll give a couple hurray's for ray. i have The Illustrated Man and it is always good for a reread. any other suggestions?
Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanecer
Member # 4068

- posted      Profile for Amanecer   Email Amanecer         Edit/Delete Post 
I suggest almost any of his short writing collections. "R is for Rocket" I think is another one. There's more as well, but I can't think of them. Sometimes they have overlapping stories. I'm not a big fan of Bradbury's novels, but I LOVE his short stories. Just thinking about them makes me happy. [Big Grin]
Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.