FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Computer Game recommendations

Author Topic: Computer Game recommendations
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

- posted      Profile for GaalDornick           Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, so I'm looking for a good computer game. I want it to be a war type game that's based in the past. I'm pretty sure there are plenty of these. Problem is my computer is a crappy Emachine that probably has terrible graphics/speed. I really want to get Oblivion (I loved Morrowind) but I obviously can't play it on this computer and I'm not getting an Xbox 360 anytime soon. So does anyone know a good war game that has small requirements for a computer? Thanks for any help.
Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
When you say war game, do you mean strategy? If so, either Shogun or Medieval Total War would probably be good for you. They are both a few years old, so they should run ok for you.
Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anti-Chris
Member # 4452

- posted      Profile for Anti-Chris           Edit/Delete Post 
Call of Duty (if you meet the specs, go for CoD 2)
Battlefield 1942 (if you have specs go for BF Vietnam)

Posts: 530 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
Total Annihilation.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anti-Chris
Member # 4452

- posted      Profile for Anti-Chris           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh yeah! Man, been 2 years since I played TA, and the last time I played was at Amka's at a LAN party. Good game.
Posts: 530 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

Yeah, I want a strategy war game. Not one where the main thing is fighting, but like where you are the commander and you have to build cities and and an army and things like that.
Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Palliard
Member # 8109

- posted      Profile for Palliard   Email Palliard         Edit/Delete Post 
Older versions of Civilization, or even FreeCiv, are a good bet, but you probably have those. Alpha Centauri may work for you as well.

You might see if you can pick up an older version of "Heroes of Might & Magic" at the computer store's bargain bin, I particularly enjoyed those and highly recommend them.

Posts: 196 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

I've never played Civilization, but hatrack seems to talk about it alot. Does the newest one need a good computer or it would it work on mine?
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
What are your system specs? If you can play Morrowind on that system you have a shot at it.
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Civilization IV, Rome: Total War, and Galactic Civilizations 2 are the best 4X games I've played recently.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

I played Morrowind on Xbox. I know very little about computers so I'll just shoot out some numbers it says on the stickers on my computer since I'm not sure which ones are important for gaming: it has 2.60 GHz Intel Celeron Processor, 40 GB hard drive, and 256 MB. It doesn't say anything about a video card, though. Is that possible to play Civilization IV on? Thanks to everyone who posted recommendations here, I'm going to look up all of those and see if any of them sound like something I'd like.
Palliard
Member # 8109

- posted      Profile for Palliard   Email Palliard         Edit/Delete Post 
I would warrant that you could play Civ3 with a machine that could run Morrowind, and it is, IMO, very much worth your time.

Civ4... I have a computer that's a few years old, and Bink Video scenes seem to discombobulate it, and I don't know how to turn them off.

Posts: 196 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tinros
Member # 8328

- posted      Profile for Tinros           Edit/Delete Post 
It might be hard to find, but Stonekeep was my favorite game on my old computer. The graphics are really good for an older game, and the storyline is intriguing. It even comes with a little book about the world of Stonekeep.
Posts: 1591 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
That's actually not a bad system, although the possible lack of a video card is a bit of a trouble. Most games these days get hammered if they don't have a video card of some sort to run graphics through, and integrated video on most motherboards remains drastically under-powered.

If you were interested in upgrading your system, RAM is cheap now, incidentally.

As far as what your computer could play on its current specifications:

The "Heroes of Might and Magic" series is very good (at least episodes II and III are, I've heard bad things about IV), though it's fantasy based, so I don't know if it meets your stipulations.

"Jagged Alliance" and "Jagged Alliance 2" are turn-based, present-day fictional strategy games with a light role-playing element.

If pretty graphics and simplicity aren't a high priority, there are a lot of "grognard" games, most of which resemble the old Avalon Hill cardboard counter strategy games, from a variety of time periods. http://www.grognard.com/

[ March 21, 2006, 11:07 PM: Message edited by: Sterling ]

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
I highly recommend Kohan: Immortal Sovereigns and/or its standalone expansion Kohan: Ahriman's Gift. It's a large-scale medieval fantasy (largely based on Persian mythology) RTS, which manages to eliminate the annoying aspects of RTS micro-management without limiting your options in army composition or city development strategy. The game is simply awesome, and should run just fine on the computer you quoted.

I think one of the main reasons Kohan didn't catch on so much is that it lacks the clever voice acting and art design of the warcraft/starcraft series. (The graphics are good, but they went mostly for more standard-looking humanoid troops.) Also, avoid the sequel Kohan 2, as they changed much of what made the first one and the expansion a good game.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
Europa Universalis 2 is always worth noting [Smile]

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Damn you, Bok, you stole my post.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
First off, to find out your video card run "dxdiag". If you click on the display tab, it will give you the specs for your video card.

I don't know about civ IV. I have a half decent machine, and it gets pretty bogged down some times. It's been better since the patch, but still a little bad sometimes.

If you can find it, I'd recommend civ 2 or call to power. Maybe consider civ3, but I personally didn't care for it.

If you aren't picky about the time period, Galciv 2 should play on your computer. It's a very fun space strategy game.

I'd also like to once again recommend either of the first two Total War games (Shogun and Medieval). They are both excellent games that combine RTS and turn based strategy. With a memory upgrade, and if your video card turns out to be decent, you could probably play Rome: Total War and most other games that are around a year or so old.

Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
KoM, I know, I felt bad, but you've been busy of late, and I figured I'd fill in. Feel free to wax poetic about the game.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.