FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Fabulous Fabrics

Author Topic: Fabulous Fabrics
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
My favorite fabric is wool - warm, soft, and comes from sheep! I also like things with a little stretch in them for comfort. I adore organic cotton because it feels and smells so nice. I'm not fond of silk because it feels fragile and a little sticky (figures - it comes from caterpillar butts). I love flannel sheets for the bed. And canvas is wonderful for shoes and curtains.

What are your opinions on different fabrics?

Also, where can I find wool reasonably priced? I need to have a new winter cloak made.

Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
I like those stretchy jersey knit cotton sheets for the bed. My favorite skirts for winter are those microsueded ones made out of who-knows-what. For the summer, I like the crinkly gauze.

I'd like wool better if it were better suited for the washer and dryer.

I've also been crocheting for myself, friends and family, and am enamoured with some of the gorgeous yarns. Chenille and mohair both whip up into scrumptious confections.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ctm
Member # 6525

- posted      Profile for ctm   Email ctm         Edit/Delete Post 
I've never liked flannel sheets or the jersey knit ones. Crisp, cool, percale for me!

I've become fond of tencel lately. Easy to care for, looks great.

I like the microsuede skirts too, Tante.

Posts: 239 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
martha
Member # 141

- posted      Profile for martha           Edit/Delete Post 
Jenny, you can get wool pretty cheap if you buy in bulk (a bolt of fairly good quality for $4 or $5 per yard). If you only want four yards for a cloak, you can probably get good quality wool for $12/yd.

When I need wool, I go to Osgood's in Springfield MA -- it's the best fabric store in the area, outside of NYC. Not cheap, but good quality and good selection.

If you don't have a good fabric store in your area (chains like JoAnn's don't have cloak wool), you can get what you need online (fabric.com and other sites), but you should definitely have them send you a swatch before you buy, because it's hard to tell by the website whether it's the right color and weight for your purposes.

Posts: 1785 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't heard of any good non chain fabric stores in your area Jenny (or mine, or anywhere in this freaking state for that matter). Hancocks tend to be better than JoAnns (and around here Hobby Lobby has nothing).
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
My cloak-making friend found some wool for $10/yd from the Amish when we made my last one. Might use them again.
Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
I have no suggestions.

We don't have wool here, so can't even think about anything along those lines... We have cotton, rayon, silk, and polyester. We have really decent Chinese cotton, though, that I really like, although we also have a lot of really nice silks. Yum!

And as I think about it, I'm still waiting for my mother in law to take me fabric shopping to her favorite fabric stores. Hmm. Ah well, after the wedding...

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh that's good, I hadn't thought about Amish Fabric stores in a while, but I've been to one in Shipshewana, has nice stuff, of course the wool will be black or grey, that's nice enough fo a cloak.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.