FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I think I might be ready to download an AIM alternative . . .

Author Topic: I think I might be ready to download an AIM alternative . . .
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Is anyone else getting ads (motion and sound) for Slither every seven minutes or so?

How freaking annoying!!! [Mad]

So, what imitator should I download instead? (And how do I make sure I don't lose stuff like my buddy list?)

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Gaim is the one I use. It's free and open-source.

Trillian is one that many others use. The full version is not free, but I understand that there is a version which is. It's probabably nag/ad/cripple-ware, but I don't really know.

Your AIM buddy list is stored on the AIM servers, so it will be there automatically.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

Holy crap! I just timed it and it's actually more like every three minutes!!! [Mad]
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

- posted      Profile for pfresh85   Email pfresh85         Edit/Delete Post 
I use Trillian on my Windows PC, and I use Adium on my Mac. Personally I prefer Adium, but I don't think it's available for Windows.
Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
signal
Member # 6828

- posted      Profile for signal   Email signal         Edit/Delete Post 
Trillian is good, but imo, its gotten a lot bulkier since I last used it. I use middleman which allows you to turn off ads and tickers and buttons... and even yourself if you want [Wink] (ghosting). It also has transparency which is fun and a bunch of other nifty stuff.
Posts: 298 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm part of the gaim group. It's awesome.
Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

Gaim does not have ads?

What about buddy icons and file transfers?

Icarus
Member # 3162

A couple of users on download.com complain that you can't change fonts and font sizes. Is that true?
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Gaim supports buddy icons and file transfers.

I do not know about the font problems.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shmuel
Member # 7586

- posted      Profile for Shmuel   Email Shmuel         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Is anyone else getting ads (motion and sound) for Slither every seven minutes or so?
Yes. Although it seems to have subsided now.
Posts: 884 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

Yeah, it has . . . but you know what . . . I think I'm just annoyed enough to download gaim anyway.
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I love Gaim, and hope you enjoy it.

I have a question though....I can't receive file transfers from my MSN account while using Gaim....is there a way to change that? My MSN logs n fine, and then the guy starts a IM to me and I get it....but the file transfer never shows up. I have to log in to MSN separately to get it, and when I do it works fine.......

Weird.

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nato
Member # 1448

- posted      Profile for Nato   Email Nato         Edit/Delete Post 
Neither gaim nor Trillian have ads. Trillian sometimes gives me trouble on file transfers, but they seem to work fine on gaim. I like Trillian's interface and functions better, although there are some nice features that you get in the paying version that are left out of the free one. gaim's connectivity also seems better.
Posts: 1592 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ben
Member # 6117

- posted      Profile for Ben   Email Ben         Edit/Delete Post 
http://wiki.ehow.com/Stop-Ads-in-AIM

That will also walk you through Downloading a tool that will cut ads out of AIM for you if you wish to continue using the actual AIM program.

Posts: 1572 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

I actually saw something like that at a different website I used to frequent. But it's long bothered me to use AIM anyway, given how much I hate AOL. I downloaded AIM because Ralphie nagged and nagged me to, way back when she was around. (And then shortly after I downloaded it she massively curtailed her AIM time. Funny, huh?) Not knowing any better, I got the "real" version, and then I didn't want to switch because I had something that worked.

Once on a different computer I needed a temporary solution (AIMExpress was blocked on that network) and I downloaded Trillian. I couldn't make the darn thing work, and I deleted it. (It made me feel dumb. [Frown] )

But this was the final excuse I needed, I think. I downloaded and installed GAIM. I figured I can always change my mind later. Anyway, I kinda like their default sounds--pretty cool, compared to AIM's, and being able to simultaneously be in both AIM and ICQ seems cool.

Clearly the ad thing last night was just a weird bug, but that's okay. [Smile]

breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't had any ads on aim for quite a while.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
Ben, I installed that adblock program you linked to and it's great! [Smile]
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.