FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Companies to boycott (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Companies to boycott
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Now, I refuse to buy anything from Sony, because of the rootkit flap and their general evilness; but I'm sure there are many other deserving targets out there. Who should Hatrack boycott? Help me form a little list of companies that won't be missed!

• Sony
  • Wal-mart
  • EA
  • GM

[ March 27, 2006, 01:17 AM: Message edited by: King of Men ]

Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reticulum
Member # 8776

- posted      Profile for Reticulum           Edit/Delete Post 
*cough* Plasystation *cough*
Posts: 2121 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cheiros do ender
Member # 8849

- posted      Profile for cheiros do ender   Email cheiros do ender         Edit/Delete Post 
Not the Plasy! [Eek!]
Posts: 1138 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
Games using Starforce. The product has caused some people hardware problems, which the company refuses to acknowledge. Also, the software runs under ring 0 privileges, and there are a few known issues caused by this. Of course, there is also a security risk.

Also, I've had a low opinion of the company since the time one of their employees provided links to torrents for Galactic Civilizations 2. Yeah, it was only one isolated incident, but it really is lacking in ethics and professionalism.

Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dantesparadigm
Member # 8756

- posted      Profile for dantesparadigm           Edit/Delete Post 
Microsoft: that way we wont be contributing to His Satanic Majesty's world domination plot.
Posts: 959 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
Wal-Mart is implied, I'm assuming?
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Also, I've had a low opinion of the company since the time one of their employees provided links to torrents for Galactic Civilizations 2.

I know we're on Internet time here, but wasn't that only two weeks ago?
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Wal-mart.
Considering boycotting future EA games... Too many damn bugs! I used the freaking patch and then ages later I GOT THIS STUPID BUG! It took me HOURS to get these folks through college... Then i could not get them to get married or have woo hoo.
#@$@#%$#@%

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MandyM
Member # 8375

- posted      Profile for MandyM   Email MandyM         Edit/Delete Post 
GM Automotive
Posts: 1319 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
signal
Member # 6828

- posted      Profile for signal   Email signal         Edit/Delete Post 
Speed channel because they cut most of the real racing including WRC for tractor pulls, nascar and poker.

And ditto on Sony. Anything I've ever gotten that was sony has prematurely broken or ceased to operate without apparent cause.

Posts: 298 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Taco Bell

At least until they return the Chili Cheese Burrito.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
Can somebody tell me about the rootkit flap? I gather Sony's cds put spyware onto your system? Is it true for audio cds on PCs, or just something on game consoles?
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Exxon-Mobil
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amilia
Member # 8912

- posted      Profile for Amilia   Email Amilia         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Microsoft: that way we wont be contributing to His Satanic Majesty's world domination plot.
Plus, Word sucks.
Posts: 364 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Is it true for audio cds on PCs
Yes. http://www.eff.org/deeplinks/archives/004144.php

quote:
Plus, Word sucks.
Word is, quite simply, the best word processor ever.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I wish I could figure out why Word 2003 sometimes will let me place images wherever I want and sometimes won't let me do anything but move them up and down.

That said, I'm satisfied with Word. Mostly.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Scott R:
quote:
I wish I could figure out why Word 2003 sometimes will let me place images wherever I want and sometimes won't let me do anything but move them up and down.

That said, I'm satisfied with Word. Mostly.

Right click on the image and type the letter i. Click on the tab for layout, and select either the option where the image floats above the text, or the one where it's below the text. Then you can adjust it any way you like.

I wish that were the default, but I can't seem to find a way to make it so.

EDIT: Changed i to lowercase so it would not look like an L.

[ March 29, 2006, 12:11 AM: Message edited by: Icarus ]

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Dagonee: the problem is, many people who use word don't need a word processor, they need a page layout program or a text editor [Smile]

Granted, this isn't exactly word's fault, though its awful attempts to succeed in both areas (particularly the former) may lead many to use it these ways.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
What is the difference between a word processor and a text editor?
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Icarus, thanks.
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I don't have enough experience to know if that's true or not, but I sure do hate WordPerfect. I'm doing an editing job right now on a book, all 800 pages of which are in ONE WP document. I told the client I'd do the editing on paper only, if they sent me a file already double-spaced so I could print it out and mail the marked-up pages back to them. I once did an edit (using some kind of track changes system) in a WP document from the same client and I was ready to rip my hair out and smash the computer against the wall before I was finished.
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Noemon: a text editor is for editing text, not formatting it. People who use word for editing html files (by writing the tags out by hand) should really be using a text editor, for instance.

A good text editor has several crucial features, two of which are the ability to alter the on-screen display of the text without altering any properties of the text itself and syntax highlighting. The former allows one to work with text files in a way that best presents them for personal consumption, without actually changing anything for other people, and the latter allows one to better follow the syntax of structured files.

Additionally, text editors have the significant advantage of being lightweight.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Why is GM considered evil?
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Thanks fugu.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kasie H
Member # 2120

- posted      Profile for Kasie H   Email Kasie H         Edit/Delete Post 
Why GM??

[Confused]

Posts: 1784 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Swampjedi
Member # 7374

- posted      Profile for Swampjedi   Email Swampjedi         Edit/Delete Post 
EA: "Own Everything."
Posts: 1069 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IanO
Member # 186

- posted      Profile for IanO   Email IanO         Edit/Delete Post 
Regarding the Sony Rootkit, Mark Russinovich (www.sysinternals.com) is the one who discovered it. He's kind of a rootkit guru. His first blog entry (and subsequent ones) is found here:

http://www.sysinternals.com/blog/2005/10/sony-rootkits-and-digital-rights.html

Posts: 1346 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
*gasp*
Don't boycott GM stuff!
The Big Three are in the greatest danger they've ever faced, they need our support...
and if the USA loses our manufacturing capabilities....that's not good long term.
[Angst]
And besides, Michigan, where I live, has the highest rate of unemployment in the nation now as a result. While the rest of you are doing just fine we are in a depression. All our factories are shutting down and moving to China/Mexico/Russia...

I'd hate to see us in another major war. "Yay! Let's go to war! Build those tanks! Oh wait... we don't have any factories anymore... doh!"
[/end off topic]

Who I do boycott is the "Cracker Barrel" restaurant, because they are openly bigoted and have said they will not employ gay people.

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dagonee:
quote:
Plus, Word sucks.
I've used both WordPerfect and Word for many years now, and I still hate Word. Hate it hate it hate it.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
Nestle
Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cheiros do ender
Member # 8849

- posted      Profile for cheiros do ender   Email cheiros do ender         Edit/Delete Post 
I just signed the pledge. Good thing I havn't had a nestle product in months.
Posts: 1138 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cheiros do ender
Member # 8849

AOL.
Noemon
Member # 1115

That's interesting, Ela. I'd thought that the Nestle thing had been positively resolved, but I see that I was wrong.
Jay
Member # 5786

- posted      Profile for Jay   Email Jay         Edit/Delete Post 
Macs, ACLU, Ask
Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by cheiros do ender:
AOL.

I hate them!!!!!!!! I don't want their freakin' CD's , I don't want their phone calls, I don't want their internet and I don't want their programs on my computer!!!!!!
Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
anyone who sticks junk in my doors. anyone who sends me junk mail. anyone who sends me spam.

I make a special effort to go to stores people are boycotting for reasons I disagree with. Think I'll go to wal*mart or The Gap today... And maybe buy a disney movie.

Pix

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

How does one boycott the ACLU?

Edit--I'm glad you mentioned them though--I had spaced off donating to them, something that I'd intended to do last weekend.

::adds to to-do list for tonight::

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

quote:
Originally posted by Noemon:

Stop caring about individual freedoms? [Wink]
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Or maybe voluntarily curtail one's own freedoms? Provide authorities with transcripts of one's phone conversations, lists of library books recently checked out, that sort of thing?
Chungwa
Member # 6421

- posted      Profile for Chungwa   Email Chungwa         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Lyrhawn and Noemon, that brightened my mood. [Smile]
Posts: 367 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Who I do boycott is the "Cracker Barrel" restaurant
gasp! oh no, that would mean no more country fried steak and mashed potatoes smothered in country gravy with a side of dumplings and fried apples. mmmmmm, fried apples. good lord.

thats right up there with boycotting Proctor and Gamble. i know its a good idea and worth doing, them being a pretty evil company (what with the animal testing an all) but they make so much yummy food. i couldn't do it.

how about boycotting Target for allowing their pharmacists to refuse to distribute certain drugs based on moral grounds.

Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chungwa
Member # 6421

- posted      Profile for Chungwa   Email Chungwa         Edit/Delete Post 
Target allows that? I wasn't aware any major stores had taken that stance.
Posts: 367 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Proctor and Gamble makes yummy food? Like what, the Hepatitis Sorbet?
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
how about boycotting Target for allowing their pharmacists to refuse to distribute certain drugs based on moral grounds.
I'd be more inclined to do the opposite, but I'm pretty sure that Target hasn't done this.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
I like Word, except for the 2003 version, wherein they switched around all the shortcut keys for special characters. Grrr.
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheGrimace
Member # 9178

- posted      Profile for TheGrimace   Email TheGrimace         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
quote:
Originally posted by Noemon:

Stop caring about individual freedoms? [Wink]
that's like saying the way to boycott christian extremists is to stop believing in Jesus...
Posts: 1038 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
andi330
Member # 8572

- posted      Profile for andi330           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:
quote:
I'd be more inclined to do the opposite, but I'm pretty sure that Target hasn't done this.
I will not shop from any pharmacist who does things like this. Drugs like birth control pills have legitimate medical uses besides preventing pregnancy but pharmacists who refuse to sell on moral grounds don't care why someone takes the drugs they just won't sell to you. It's an unfair practice which should be stopped especially by big corporations like Target. If a pharmacist wants to refuse drugs on moral grounds they should open their own personal drug store.
Posts: 1214 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
Proctor and Gamble makes yummy food? Like what, the Hepatitis Sorbet?

P&G distribute Pringles and Hawaiian Punch to name a couple. i find both incredibly yummy.
Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:
quote:
i'm fairly certain they have and do do this:

http://www.plannedparenthood.org/pp2/portal/media/pressreleases/pr-051117-target.xml

andi330
Member # 8572

- posted      Profile for andi330           Edit/Delete Post 
It is especially disheartening that pharmacists who won't sell women birth control or emergency contraceptives will sell men things like Viagra without asking if they will be using the pills with their wives or if they are married. Such selective moralism is disgusting.
Posts: 1214 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.