FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Graduation speech / brainstorming help

Author Topic: Graduation speech / brainstorming help
Kasie H
Member # 2120

- posted      Profile for Kasie H   Email Kasie H         Edit/Delete Post 
So I just got an email about a competition to speak at my college's commencement (which is May 21st, on the National Mall...and the speech will be followed by a keynote address from George and Barbara Bush).

The competition is April 3, 4, and 5th (! so soon!), and I'm trying to decide whether or not to go for it. I'm drawing a blank on potential speech topics, though...according to the message, it has to be something relevant to the entire university, of interest to students, faculty and staff, and related to graduation, etc etc etc...

If you were going to do something like this, what would you talk about?

I'm not asking for you to do my homework here, I'm just looking for some creative juice.

Posts: 1784 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't give the cliche "college was just the begginning" or anything about how many hours were spent drunk (I actually saw this given at a small christian college, my uncle then told his younger daughter she was not going there).
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
Also, don't do the 'road less travelled' speech.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kasie H
Member # 2120

- posted      Profile for Kasie H   Email Kasie H         Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder how many hours I *have* spent drunk...

Far fewer than the average audience member, I'm sure.

Posts: 1784 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brian J. Hill
Member # 5346

- posted      Profile for Brian J. Hill   Email Brian J. Hill         Edit/Delete Post 
I gave a high school graduation speech, and though my memory of the details are foggy, I remember quoting an abridgement of the following speech from Dead Poet's Society (text thanks to imdb.com)
quote:
We don't read and write poetry because it's cute. We read and write poetry because we are members of the human race. And the human race is filled with passion. And medicine, law, business, engineering, these are noble pursuits and necessary to sustain life. But poetry, beauty, romance, love, these are what we stay alive for. To quote from Whitman, "O me! O life!... of the questions of these recurring; of the endless trains of the faithless... of cities filled with the foolish; what good amid these, O me, O life?" Answer. That you are here - that life exists, and identity; that the powerful play goes on and you may contribute a verse. That the powerful play *goes on* and you may contribute a verse. What will your verse be?

I tied it in with the idea that it is our choices that control our destinies, not anyone else's, and the words "you can contribute a verse" are something truly powerful. I remember saying something to the effect that when we die--and we all will, make no mistake--the speakers at our funeral won't mention that much what things we accomplished, but what kind of people we were, and what our relationships with others were. That's what "contributing a verse" really means.

I also used the popular tradition of throwing your graduation cap in the air as a metaphor. The idea was, when that hat goes up, you're a graduate, full of excitement and relief and eagerness and optimism all at one time, but when that hat comes down, you're just another person seeking to make some kind of difference in the so-called "real" world.

Hope this helps.

Posts: 786 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chungwa
Member # 6421

- posted      Profile for Chungwa   Email Chungwa         Edit/Delete Post 
I actually don't plan to ever die.
Posts: 367 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
prolixshore
Member # 4496

- posted      Profile for prolixshore           Edit/Delete Post 
I wrote a speech for a friend of mine for his high school graduation. It was about luck, timing, and networking being the keys to success far more often than hard work and talent. The school, not surprisingly, said he couldn't give that speech. We replaced it with a speech titled "Life Is Like A Bean Burrito." It went over well enough, but I don't think it would be of much help to you.

--ApostleRadio

Posts: 1612 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Likely, no matter what you do, it'll have been done by someone else before. Graduation speeches are inherently cliched, because they've been done for decades, and there've been thousands of them.

You can either buy into the norm, and do a speech that has most likely been done before, something about the future, and how your class fits into that future. Or you can do something wildly unconventional. Something that stands out, and probably acts as a metaphor for a larger message.

Good luck.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
"Some of you may go out tomorrow and march against the war. Others will go out and join the army, offering your bodies and lives for what you believe. Both choices are better than the disinterested and self-involved decision not to care...."
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Or the best graduation speech I ever heard.

"I asked the administration what I should talk about. They said about 2 minutes. I'll do better than that. Good night and good luck."

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Princess Leah
Member # 6026

- posted      Profile for Princess Leah   Email Princess Leah         Edit/Delete Post 
I say take a leaf from the Dada book and go Graham Chapman on them. Just show up in a carrot (or other strange object of your choice) costume, then go onstage and do nothing until someone stops you. Seriously. No one listens to those things. And like they all said, it's all been done. So make 'em listen- make 'em laugh.
Posts: 866 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Deliver the speech using a George HW Bush "Dana Carvey" like impression.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.