FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » As I was leaving work last night,

Author Topic: As I was leaving work last night,
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
As I was leaving work last night, the air was cool and breezy, heavy with a palpable promise of rain that I could taste.

The night sky seemed huge as the clouds chased each other across the diamond-on-black-velvet backdrop. I turned, head back, to drink it in. It is in our nature to see patterns in clouds and to assign identity to these shapes. Like a sudden snap in my perception, though, I began to identify the shape of the backdrop of sky that the clouds outlined. Spread across the broad expanse was a perfect map of North America. The stars marked cities. There was Toronto, Edmonton, Cincinnati, Denver, San Francisco, San Diego, Seattle, Kansas City, Portland, Maine, and Raleigh, North Carolina and some stars in Alaska that I couldn't figure out because I don't remember enough about the geography of Alaska.

Before I could identify all the star-marked cities, the wind shifted the clouds and the map disappeared.

I love the night.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
calaban
Member # 2516

- posted      Profile for calaban   Email calaban         Edit/Delete Post 
My favorite thing to fall asleep to is a spring night sky. I stare at it until I can no longer overcome the weight of my eyelids by will alone.
Posts: 686 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chungwa
Member # 6421

- posted      Profile for Chungwa   Email Chungwa         Edit/Delete Post 
Edmonton. Like it deserves its own star. [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 367 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Pffft. What happened to L.A.?
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
Carpe Noctum.
Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kristen
Member # 9200

- posted      Profile for Kristen   Email Kristen         Edit/Delete Post 
One thing I miss about Connecticut is the stars--we don't get any in Chicago aside from the sun [Wink]
Posts: 484 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
That was interesting and well phrased, Tante. Thanks for sharing it.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
Kristen, I once went to a riding camp for a weekend, south of Chicago, and there were lots of stars there, I don't think it was even an hour from the Chicago. Stars are good for you.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Fae-Ray
Member # 9260

- posted      Profile for The Fae-Ray           Edit/Delete Post 
You a Calgarian Chungwa?
Posts: 29 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Fae-Ray
Member # 9260

- posted      Profile for The Fae-Ray           Edit/Delete Post 
You a Calgarian Chungwa?
Posts: 29 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey! Who do you think you're calling a Calgarian Chungwa?

[Wink]

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.