FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Our Digital Camcorder (Is there a mechanical genius here?)

Author Topic: Our Digital Camcorder (Is there a mechanical genius here?)
unicornwhisperer
Member # 294

- posted      Profile for unicornwhisperer   Email unicornwhisperer         Edit/Delete Post 
We have had our digital camcorder, a ZR90 Cannon, for 2 years... and probably right on the day of it's 2nd birthday it decided to go black whenever in recording mode (yes the cap is off). It still plays the videos just fine!
We got it from Ultimate Electronics as well as a 5 year warrantee, but I think that particular store went out of business and we lost our reciept.

Anyway what kind of repair shop would you recommend? I found some that are online. But one sent an email estimating that it may cost $192 to repair. Does anyone know what is wrong with it just from the description? Perhaps we can try to fix it ourselves...if someon knew what was wrong....?

[ April 05, 2006, 09:19 PM: Message edited by: unicornwhisperer ]

Posts: 1417 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tstorm
Member # 1871

- posted      Profile for Tstorm   Email Tstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
Unless you luck out and find a friend willing to take the charity case, you're out of luck. I should point out: if it's gonna cost less than $200, you're lucky. The average is probably closer to $300 from what I've seen.

And this is just a GUESS, judging from your description of the problem. The image sensor, a piece of electronics called a CCD (Charge-Coupled Device) is probably broken. That would explain why new recordings are black, yet you can still play movies back. The recording/playback mechanism is working fine. Again, just a GUESS.

Posts: 1813 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tstorm:
And this is just a GUESS, judging from your description of the problem. The image sensor, a piece of electronics called a CCD (Charge-Coupled Device) is probably broken. That would explain why new recordings are black, yet you can still play movies back. The recording/playback mechanism is working fine. Again, just a GUESS.

I would agree, since she seems to have indicated that the Viewfinder/LCD display is blank in recording mode.

If it isn't and the recordings just wind up blank, then it might be the recording head.

Hey, if the playback works, you can still use it to transfer DV to your PC.

Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
Does it make me egotistical that I looked into this thread thinking I might be able to help?

I would also cast a vote for a bad CCD.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
unicornwhisperer
Member # 294

- posted      Profile for unicornwhisperer   Email unicornwhisperer         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you very much for your help! A broken CCD.... dang... and it's only 2 years old.
I did get an email from Ultimate Electronics my warrantee might still be good.... here's hoping.

Posts: 1417 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.