FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » "Classes like that are the reason I left the program." (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: "Classes like that are the reason I left the program."
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm planning to go buy 10,000 Days at a record store on release day. [Smile]

Incidentally, the song about LA falling into the ocean is actually called Ænema, but "learn to swim" is one of the refrains. Personally, I like "Fret for your figure and fret for your latté and fret for your hairpiece and fret for your lawsuit and fret for your prozac and fret for your pilot and fret for your contract and fret for your car." [Big Grin]

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
Aenema is SUCH an awesome song. I love it.

Although for some reason, I prefer A Perfect Circle to Tool even though...they're the same.

But they're different.

Okay, maybe I just like "Judith" and "The Outsider."

I know what you mean about jazz. OH! If you like jazz, check out the band Johnny Sketch and the Dirty Notes. They're like...New Orleans rock, kind of. And there's a violin.

I wish their website were prettier, but no one asked me. [Razz]

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

I wouldn't say that APC and Tool are the same, the only thing they share is a singer. [Smile]
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by pH:

I really want to know where I said this. Because right now, I'm rather annoyed that you're making assumptions about what other people are saying and then telling said people that THEY are the ones making assumptions. Which is one of the reasons I really don't see the point in discussing the whole subject with you right now. On top of that, you seem unable to distinguish between music industry snobs (as in, Music Industry Studies students) and classical music snobs, and I, in my first post, was clearly referring to the former.
-pH

I think your right, you must not of said that, since you checked, so I apologize for thinking that you did. I think I was reacting to something you said about careers in classical music, since there aren't many.

I know you were talking about music industry snobs, but I took it in the direction I am familiar with, since there are some parallels, and differences. We talked about industry snobs too right? I just thought snobbery in general is sometimes misenterpreted, and I think I talked alot about both types of snob. [Group Hug]

I watched Zoolander last night for the first time since Highschool

Ph- Why you been actin so messed up towards me?
Orincoro: Why you been actin so messed up towards me?
Ph- I mean I thought this guy is guy is really hurting me you know?... and it hurt!
Orincoro: Well maybe I'm just a little bit jealous you know because your topic is just getting started, and mine is just kinda winding down...or whatever.
pH- Your orincoro man, your the REASON I wanted to be come a snob!
Orincoro- I was WACK!
pH- no I was wack!

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, yeah, you're right! It is called Aenima, I forgot!

APC is great too but I totally prefer Tool. Maynard is a fantastic singer, though, and just about anything he sings is going to be good. I just recently heard that Deftones song called "Passenger" that he sings on. It's so great! Have you heard it?

I think it's his struggle and intensity that you just can't help but become caught up in. I seriously can't wait for 10,000 days. Aenima was like a fierce life and death struggle, and then Lateralus came like some fantastic breakthrough into the divine. Maybe 10,000 days will show us what heaven is like. [Big Grin]

Is it true that Maynard writes most of the music for Tool but someone else does most of the writing for APC?

As for snobs of all varieties, they're sort of sad, I think. In order to be cool yourself it's totally not necessary that you put down somebody else, but they seem to think it is....

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

quote:
Originally posted by Tatiana:

As for snobs of all varieties, they're sort of sad, I think. In order to be cool yourself it's totally not necessary that you put down somebody else, but they seem to think it is....

Yes, and my negative reaction to the snob label has actually been that you can be an "efficianado" and really NOT intend to rub your elitist stink in everybody's face, but alot of times people are going to assume you will or you do anyway. There was also the question of intent: does a music lover start telling you something about music because they love or music, or they love the sound of their own voice, and the gratification of pedagogy? Musicians, especially classical, are pedagogical by nature since that's how we communicate with each other. Since there's too much for one person to know in music, we are always teaching each other something.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SC Carver
Member # 8173

- posted      Profile for SC Carver   Email SC Carver         Edit/Delete Post 
Or.

I hope I have not irritated you on this thread. I understand as an "artist" how hard it is to find people with similar taste. Just because I don't love classical music doesn't mean I don't understand your point of view. I don't think liking classical music is equal to snobiness. In fact anyone who actually loves classical music probably is so far removed from the "mainstream" that they couldn't be considered snobs. The whole classical thing should be considered more like the "2-D" artist are. As a painter you will be considered a Cubist, expressionist, abstract artist, or whatever. Now as a Musician you still just considered an Musician. No one seems to disrespect and "artist" because you don't do the kind of art you like, but this does happen will with "Musician’s" they don't care what we think.

Posts: 555 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

I was really disappointed by Maynard when I saw A Perfect Circle play a show a couple of years ago.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

pH, what disappointed you about him?
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kristen
Member # 9200

- posted      Profile for Kristen   Email Kristen         Edit/Delete Post 
pH: me too!

Of course they were opening for NIN after NIN's 4+ year hiatus, so perhaps I was just impatient, but my friends agreed with me. Lackluster performance.

Posts: 484 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

quote:
Originally posted by Tatiana:
APC is great too but I totally prefer Tool. Maynard is a fantastic singer, though, and just about anything he sings is going to be good. I just recently heard that Deftones song called "Passenger" that he sings on. It's so great! Have you heard it?

Yup, I have the Deftones album that it's on (as well as a couple of others). It's definitely my favourite Deftones song. [Big Grin]

quote:
Is it true that Maynard writes most of the music for Tool but someone else does most of the writing for APC?
Tool write the music as a collective, though the band does work on stuff while Maynard is off with APC. APC, though, started as Billy Howerdel's project. He originally wanted a female singer to front his band, but after he played some demos for Maynard, Maynard offered to sing. [Smile]

I saw APC live shortly after their first album came out. They were good, but that same day I also saw (among others) the Foo Fighters and the Smashing Pumpkins. It was one of the Pumpkins' last shows, and they were absolutely unbelievable. Of course, now the Pumpkins are gone and James Iha is playing with APC.

Tatiana
Member # 6776

The Pumpkins were so great! I wish I had seen them. Everyone who did said they were fantastic in person.

I like James Iha's guitar playing but I always thought his songs for the Pumpkins sucked. Billy's are almost uniformly great and James' are uniformly sucky. [Smile] I take them out of every Pumpkins playlist. I hope he doesn't do any writing for APC.

I have two friends who went to see APC on the tour that I think would have been for "Thirteenth Step" and both of them speak of that show in reverent terms. It sounded like a life-altering experience for them. All I've seen is videos of APC playing live and videos of Tool interviews (which are really rare) and what struck me was the contrast of Maynard singing on stage (in which he looked powerful and free, like some god) and Maynard talking in the studio (in which he seemed very constrained and precise and intellectual and nerdy). [Smile]

Ooooh this is just whetting my anticipation. [Big Grin]

[ April 09, 2006, 10:34 AM: Message edited by: Tatiana ]

pH
Member # 1350

Tatiana, he had like no stage presence whatsoever. I was bored to tears, and I'd specifically taken a break (it was at Voodoofest; I was working) to go see them! I should've just insisted on seeing Mindless Self Indulgence...Jimmy Urine is always a good time.

-pH

prolixshore
Member # 4496

- posted      Profile for prolixshore           Edit/Delete Post 
That was the same experience I had seeing APC. I love Maynard, but he just stood there like a bump on a log. It was a boring show and I walked away very dissapointed.

--ApostleRadio

Posts: 1612 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

Weird! He must have off nights and on nights.
Kristen
Member # 9200

- posted      Profile for Kristen   Email Kristen         Edit/Delete Post 
Tatiana: The Pumpkins were my first rock concert and were amazing (it was the MCIS tour).

Speaking of concerts and classical music, I just saw a 13-year old play Rach #2 first movement on PBS. *floored* [Eek!]

Posts: 484 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

Jeepers. I can play one of his preludes, but the concertos will forever be beyond my grasp, I'm sure. That's astonishing.
Orincoro
Member # 8854

A friend of mine played her Junior recital yesterday (viola). She played Shostokovich string quartet no.8, the "WWII" quartet. The 4th and 5th movement are based on Ann Frank's capture. [Cry]

Not a dry eye in the room.

Orincoro
Member # 8854

quote:
Originally posted by SC Carver:
Or.

I hope I have not irritated you on this thread. I understand as an "artist" how hard it is to find people with similar taste. Just because I don't love classical music doesn't mean I don't understand your point of view. I don't think liking classical music is equal to snobiness. In fact anyone who actually loves classical music probably is so far removed from the "mainstream" that they couldn't be considered snobs. The whole classical thing should be considered more like the "2-D" artist are. As a painter you will be considered a Cubist, expressionist, abstract artist, or whatever. Now as a Musician you still just considered an Musician. No one seems to disrespect and "artist" because you don't do the kind of art you like, but this does happen will with "Musician’s" they don't care what we think.

Hmm. Thats pretty true. I think there is something about "art," that makes it impervious to judgement. "Art," the popular context meaning painting/sculpture, photography, or other like visual disciplines. Maybe it is just that the art community is so obstrusely variable and diversified between individuals, that no-one is actually a fair judge of anything. I have always thought that most people don't actually appreciate art very much, or even like it for being beautiful.

I traveled alot in Europe last summer, and I was often horrified by the attitudes and actions of alot of international tourists. American, German and Japanese people seemed to be the prime offenders when it came to talking too loudly in a quiet room, obsessively photographing things with bright flashes, (pushing people aside to get their desired angles), and generally being obnoxious. I was alone, so I had no opportunity to see how I might function in such a group situation, but I hope I wouldn't be as bad as some of the people I saw. One of the phenomena I sometimes discussed with fellow travelers in hostels was how many tourists seem to follow their digital cameras around like robots, viewing the museum through the tiny screen and shooting pictures of famous works, often without even looking at them directly.

One of the most perpexing things I observed was a man about 20-25, angling his way down a museum hallway, briskly shooting photos of each painting, pausing only a split second before moving on. The photos couldn't have been very good, and he certainly hadn't had a good look at any of them along the way. It was very strange. I felt that alot of people take pictures of famous places or things to prove that they had "done that." When I returned after 3 months of travel, I showed people photos of things I had seen that were really interesting to me, but of course the ones they wanted to see where replicas of the postcards that form mental images of the cities of Europe: The pyramid at the louvre, or a canal in Amsterdam, or Sagrada Familia in Barcelona.

pH
Member # 1350

My favorite picture from the trip I took to England is of my then best friend Alex and me feeding ducks by a river. [Smile] We were ten.

-pH

Orincoro
Member # 8854

My favorite London photo is probably one I took of myself at sundown on primrose hill, in memory of Douglas Adams's "Long Dark Tea-time of the Soul."
SC Carver
Member # 8173

- posted      Profile for SC Carver   Email SC Carver         Edit/Delete Post 
When I took Art history they told me the average person only spend some ungodly short amount of time looking at each painting in museums. It was somewhere under 2 secs. Almost no photo's you take in the museum ever do the work any justice, you're better off to buy some post cards of your favorites at the gift shop.
Posts: 555 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
THat's exactly what I do - I love the postcards at museum gift shops.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

I tend to pick one or three artworks I like best, and stand in worshipful awe before them for long times. But I guess I miss a lot that way. I just get quickly saturated with the whole "next, okay next, next" thing of doing art museums.

Then it breaks my heart when they take my favorite things off display.

kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by SC Carver:
When I took Art history they told me the average person only spend some ungodly short amount of time looking at each painting in museums. It was somewhere under 2 secs. Almost no photo's you take in the museum ever do the work any justice, you're better off to buy some post cards of your favorites at the gift shop.

I hope that they were averaging out the times. I will spend just a glance on some paintings while you can't drag me away from others. It might average out to a short time "per picture".
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.