FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Flaming Lips

Author Topic: Flaming Lips
Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
Is anyone else into Flaming Lips? They're one of my all time favorite bands. They just released a new album on Tuesday. While It didn't personally connect with me as strongly on the first listen as The Soft Bulletin or Yoshimi, I do still think it's very good. And I'm very glad and impressed that they changed their sound as much as they did for this album. With as much success as they found in their last two albums, it was a big risk, but I think they really pulled it off. They made a unique album that retains their distinctive personality without rehashing their previous successes.

If you haven't heard the new album and want to hear a full song legally, you can go to NPR's All Songs Considered archives.

Anyway, I was looking on their website to check for tour dates. I noticed three very disturbing things.

• They're not going anywhere I'm going to be able to see them.
  • They're doing a tour date in Bend, Oregon. It's a smallish town I used to live in, one of the most beautiful places on Earth, and I'm going to miss it.
  • They're doing a show in London with DJ Shadow and Massive Attack. Of all the music that I own and like, these three are probably on my top ten most-idolized rabid fanboy list, and I'm going to miss this, too.

[Wall Bash] [Wall Bash] [Wall Bash]

Oh, and they're playing in Washington at the end of May with Iron & Wine, The Shins and Sufjan Stevens. I'm not as broken up about this one as the other one, but I'd still like to see it. The life of a concertgoer in America's desolate Southwest is a grim one.

[Wall Bash] [Wall Bash] [Wall Bash]

Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chungwa
Member # 6421

- posted      Profile for Chungwa   Email Chungwa         Edit/Delete Post 
I like the Flaming Lips, though I was pretty disappointed with At War With The Mystics.
Posts: 367 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Squid Martigan
Member # 9276

- posted      Profile for Squid Martigan           Edit/Delete Post 
My first post away from the bacon thread-- I LOVE the Flaming Lips. I have listened to ever album they've ever released (a lot more material than most people think there is) at least a couple hundred times, and many, many more listens than that for Bulletin and Yoshimi. I am stoked about the new album, but don't have money at the moment for a commercial copy, and haven't had a free moment for thought at home lately to devote to finding a torrent. Also, insert "South" for Southwest in your post, multiply the desolation times a thousand, and you have my predicament.
Posts: 71 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Their name and the song She Don't Like Jelly makes me giggle.
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Squid Martigan
Member # 9276

People who immediately mention "She Don't Use Jelly" when trying to recall some Lips data have obviously never heard anything else... that's sad, and makes me want to give that poor, poor soul hugs and burned discs!
Posts: 71 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Weird. I heard them for the first time half an hour ago. I liked the song I heard.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I've heard other songs of them...
But that song is just the funniest... It made me laugh a lot when I was in Jr High.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Squid Martigan
Member # 9276

Pffft. Hugs and burned discs, 'cause I DON'T believe you.
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know if I've ever heard the Flaming Lips but I just had to say . . . Yay, Squid Martigan, for branching out beyond bacon! [Big Grin]
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Squid Martigan
Member # 9276

Eh, I still love bacon, but I also love Flaming Lips. I don't even want to consider the gruesome possibility that cheap bacon might contain some amount of lip meat...
Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Elizabeth:
Weird. I heard them for the first time half an hour ago. I liked the song I heard.

Which song?
Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Squid Martigan
Member # 9276

Has anyone here seen Fearless Freaks?
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Speed,
I have no clue.
I will check the radio station's playlist.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ben
Member # 6117

- posted      Profile for Ben   Email Ben         Edit/Delete Post 
The album as a whole doesn't do as much for me. The Soft Bulletin is one of my favorite albums of the 90s, and Yoshimi was a terrific follow up. But this seems to be a throwback to earlier Lips. And, while i appreciate their older work, I feel that their last two albums were mature, great steps forward. Back peddling in sound doesn't really do that much for me.

Having said that, seeing lindsay's face light up when she hears the Yeah Yeah song, rocks my face off.

that is all...

Posts: 1572 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Squid Martigan
Member # 9276

Ben, does that mean more guitar-ish "grooo-woo!" and less electronic "boom-doo boink boom" on the new album?
solo
Member # 3148

- posted      Profile for solo   Email solo         Edit/Delete Post 
There is definitely more guitar on the new album. I don't love it as much as Yoshimi and The Soft Bulletin yet, but I think it will grow on me.

I really need to find some people to listen to Zaireeka with. I haven't yet been able to experience it in a form other than a stereo mixdown.

Posts: 1336 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ben
Member # 6117

- posted      Profile for Ben   Email Ben         Edit/Delete Post 
solo, i have zaireeka in DVD form. Fan mixed. It has about 6 or 7 different 5.1 mixes. email me your mailing addy and a copy is yours.

email is benharris1313 at yahoo dot com.

Posts: 1572 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.