FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Anything I can do to fix my stupid mistake?

Author Topic: Anything I can do to fix my stupid mistake?
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
I was cleaning some programs off of my computer and decided to get rid of Wordperfect since I exclusively use Word. Now whenever I go to open any of my many word docs, they automatically open in wordpad. Word still reads them, but I have to do the rightclick-open with Word option instead of just double-clicking them, which is annoying. I haven't even tried to send attachments now, but it'll probably be even more annoying not being able to send a proper word doc. My computer came with Wordperfect pre-loaded, so I can't re-instal it without completely rebooting my computer. Is there anything I can do to make Word the default instead of wordpad?

I hate it when the computer company gives me crap that I don't want, then punishes me for getting rid of it. [Mad]

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
When you do the right-click-to-select-which-program-to-open-with, choose "select program". There should be a check box that says something like "Always use this program to open this type of file". Select Word, check the box, and away you go.
Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xnera
Member # 187

- posted      Profile for xnera   Email xnera         Edit/Delete Post 
What operating system?
Posts: 1805 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
Windows.

Thanks ludosti. That seemed to work. I even had to do it to my powerpoint and excel files. Weird. Hopefully there aren't any other side effects I don't know about.

PS I am now classifying this thread as a mayfly. Feel free to do anything silly until I delete it (probably tonight after I get home)

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
airmanfour
Member # 6111

- posted      Profile for airmanfour           Edit/Delete Post 
[Grumble] HA! I always wanted to put that one up there. It's silly!
Posts: 1156 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm glad you waited to delete. Ever since I put Adobe Photoshop on my computer all the pictures open with that. I forgot about that select program option. Now I have it fixed.

So I guess I am saying Thank You sarcasticmuppet.

Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Why make it a mayfly? Other folks might run into a similar problem later, and it'll be a handy reference to link back upon.

[ April 07, 2006, 06:29 PM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
raventh1
Member # 3750

- posted      Profile for raventh1           Edit/Delete Post 
If you want more control over what happens per type of file you can open My Computer, Tools menu: Folder Options, and on the File Types tab, you can change how any of the extensions work when you try to open them, or right click on them and have different items in the popup menu.
Posts: 1132 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.