FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » When will the people who make television shows learn... (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: When will the people who make television shows learn...
camus
Member # 8052

- posted      Profile for camus   Email camus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
That there's nothing funny about hurting animals and babies?
I think that sometimes things are funny because they're tragic. Sometimes the best way to deal with tragedies that we are powerless to change is to find a way to laugh about them. It's not always right, but it's a lot less depressing.
Posts: 1256 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
Arsenic and Old Lace is currently running at BYU -- if you haven't heard of it, it's about a pair of old ladies who regularly poison men who rent a room in their house and bury them in their cellar. Their nephew is a psychotic serial killer who decides to use their house as a base of operations.

It's freaking hilarious--everything and everyone is silly and crazy and fun. Why do people laugh at such dark content? The director's theory is that laughter is a coping mechanism for scary events. That's why people laugh at them -- if it actually happened in their lives, it would be horrific and tragic.

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
They will learn when they stop making money from people watching their shows. If you want them to change, stop rewarding what they do.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I avoid bad songs like the plague, so I can't understand why I can't avoid stupid shows.
What I really need is a job. Being out of work over the last week or so has driven me completely insane.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zeugma
Member # 6636

- posted      Profile for Zeugma   Email Zeugma         Edit/Delete Post 
Seriously, get rid of the television, Syn. Unplug it, shove it into a closet, and post a flyer at the library or something offering it for $25 or $50 or whatever you think you can get for it.

That's how you avoid stupid shows. It's something simple that you can do RIGHT NOW to make a positive change in your life. Do it!

Posts: 1681 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Get addicted to an MMORPG. best one out right now is WoW. You won't worry about your TV.. your friends... your family... hygene... eating... going to the bathroom....
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I kind of need it for video games and the shows that really are good. Like Bernie Mac and House.
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

Speaking of annoying television, why do I watch 7th Heaven? I hate that show...
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
You don't *need* a television, though it is nice to have sometimes. Nothing you get from a television is a "need". Not even the news, since you seem to have a perfectly good computer handy.
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

there's always dling the good shows.
I ought to watch the Sopranos I dled.
Now that's one quality show even though I hate violence.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.