FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » What does "Respecting the Office of the President" mean? (Page 4)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: What does "Respecting the Office of the President" mean?
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the passage *clearly* makes a provision for "just" rulers, as outlined by "the causing fear for evil behaviour" bit, even while acknowledging the general omnipotence of God.

So I guess that's where we disagree.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't see that at all. To me, that is clearly a progression from Paul saying that all governing authorities were established by God to setting up those authorities as a moral metric.

Do you think Paul was calling for rebellion than? That interpretation would seem to have Paul calling most authorities the people he was writing to were subject to illegitimate.

Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think Paul was calling for rebellion. In general he was calling for submission to legitimate governmental authorities.

I do think he allowed enough leeway in his statements, that while a last resort, rebellion can be legitimate, if the government does not comply with the goal of "punishing evildoers".

I also think that non-violent protest may be more in line with the "no personal vengance" and general intent of the passage, rather than "rebellion" persay.

Most of the Christians didn't fight, when martyred in the arena, in keeping with Paul's instructions.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
I tried. I can't see that interpretation. I'm also left wondering why Augustine, Luther, or Calvin didn't see it either. Or for that matter, if it's so clear, why this passage was the central argument for the divine right of kings theology?
Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.