FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Tax Vengeance--should I or shouldn't I

Author Topic: Tax Vengeance--should I or shouldn't I
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
I worked for an entertainment company for almost 12 years. When I left I was far from pleased with the new management. They did nothing truly wrong, but they did nothing truly right. My 10 year anniversary with them was met with a notable shrug of indifference.

I continue to work for them as an entertainer--clown , easter bunny, and santa.

They have not booked me more than 5 times in the entire year, and screwed those up a bit even then.

So I was waiting to get my 1099form from them and waiting and waiting. Finally I called and asked for it...4 times. Eventually I threatened to report them to the IRS if they didn't send me one.

I have a recorded message on my answering machine. It explains that they are going through restructuring so didn't send me one. Besides, I was only paid $1000 by them, so I really don't need one. It is not worth their time to redo all the paperwork neccesary to send me the form.

I do believe that the IRS would have a different opinion on that subject.

So should I report them to the IRS, and spoil not only any future bookings they would send me (0 for Easter this year) but also any good references on future job searches?

Decisions oh great conceince of Hatrack?

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
So should I report them to the IRS, and spoil not only any future bookings they would send me (0 for Easter this year) but also any good references on future job searches?
The amount is, I believe, $600. I'd be sorely tempted to report them.

If you don't, do you have the exact amount you need to report on your taxes?

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

I kept all the check stubs. I am smart that way.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
I believe you can get a substitute 1099 form from IRS to complete on your own to report that income on your return. And I would absolutely be reporting them for not providing the official form. I was told there are huge penalties for not having those in the mail by January 31.

Do you honestly think that they'd give you a good reference anyway?

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
They'd probably never get the reference to you, anyway, and then tell people who called them that you pestered them and made their lives miserable or something. [Roll Eyes]

I'd report them. Not as vengance, but because it's likely that they've done it to other people too, and the IRS ought to know.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with kq, report away. Any eeeeevil feelings of joy you get for doing so are a bonus.
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
One of the reasons I'm inclined to report them is that companies that don't do their 1099s get a competitive advantage over those that do. It might not be large, but throw in a couple of unreported workers for workers' comp, a few OSHA requirements ignored (the ones that probably are unnecessary to true safety), and those cash payments somehow not making it on the books, and a sevice company can shave 10% off their operating costs. And that 10% is enough to drive honest operators out of business.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh yeah, I'd be reporting them. No doubt about it.
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
erm, what's the upside, exactly?
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HollowEarth
Member # 2586

- posted      Profile for HollowEarth   Email HollowEarth         Edit/Delete Post 
A good feeling. He's not getting any booking anyway from the sound of it.
Posts: 1621 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Epictetus
Member # 6235

- posted      Profile for Epictetus   Email Epictetus         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd report them, definitely. From a purely moral standpoint, do you really want to work for a company that doesn't respect the law that much? Sure you may not get a good reference from them, but moral stances look good in an interview.
Posts: 681 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Plus, doesn't the IRS reward informers? [Razz]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
No. I reported an employer once, and I didn't get a reward.
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Artemisia Tridentata
Member # 8746

- posted      Profile for Artemisia Tridentata   Email Artemisia Tridentata         Edit/Delete Post 
Its likely that the Company has not reported the income to the IRS, and has pocketed the withholding. Thats why they would like you to forget it. That is criminal, and should be reported.
Posts: 1167 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoriSCapnSkip
Member # 9153

- posted      Profile for CoriSCapnSkip   Email CoriSCapnSkip         Edit/Delete Post 
Torn here. Normally I'm against turning anyone in to the IRS but they sound sooo like they're asking for it. Not to mention actually breaking the law.
Posts: 91 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
Who has to pay the portion of your SS and medicare that is typically paid by the employer? I don't think that should change your decision--I'm just curious about whether they have to or not.
Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Nope, he's an independent contractor -- he pays 'em.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

Reporting would make no difference to me since they didn't deduct anything from my pay. My wife already alerted the IRS about them, so now I have to wait turning in my taxes until I get the right forms filled out.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.