FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Hey KoM. . .

Author Topic: Hey KoM. . .
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
I read in the paper this afternoon that there's going to be a Norwegian Princess in town promoting a children's book she wrote. She's touring the US, and stopping particularly in places that have large ethnic Norwegian populations. (Minnesota qualifies.) Anyway, it just caught my eye, and I was curious what sort of role royalty plays in Norway these days? From the article, she has a normal job and doesn't seem to be "for show" royalty so much. I think it said that she was the crown prince's brother, though, so she's not directly in line for the throne. Can it pass to women, anyway?
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
whiskysunrise
Member # 6819

- posted      Profile for whiskysunrise   Email whiskysunrise         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I think it said that she was the crown prince's brother, though, so she's not directly in line for the throne.
[Laugh] She is a brother to the prince?
Posts: 747 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

*sigh*

Ooops.

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evie3217
Member # 5426

- posted      Profile for Evie3217   Email Evie3217         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought the same thing when I saw that. Tee hee hee.

Still, that's cool. Norweigan royalty. You know, I want to be royalty, that would be fun. Actually, not so much. Now I'm just ranting. I'm sick, give me a break!

Posts: 1789 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
That would be the princess whatshername, I suppose. (No, I'm serious, I really can't recall her name at the moment. It's annoying.) Anyway, to answer your question, they're mainly public relations, which admittedly they do a fair job of. It's actually slightly interesting : By the strict letter of the Constitution, the King has very extensive powers indeed; he can in principle appoint his cabinet at will, as long as they are Norwegian citizens. In actual practice, he gets to graciously give the nod to whoever has a majority in the Storting, but somehow we never got around to amending the Constitution.

We did change the inheritance law a few years back, so assuming everything goes as expected, the monarch after our current Crown Prince croaks will be the princess Ingrid Alexandra. But it wasn't made retroactive, or the crown prince would be out a job, and princess whatshername (damn, what is her name? I'm going to have to Wiki it now... Märtha Louise, that's it) would have a better one than writing children's books.

There's the occasional rumble of making Norway a republic, but really, the royals behave pretty well, annoy no major power groups, and do quite a reasonable job of representing the country. I'm not convinced they're worth what we pay for them, but whatever. They would have to screw up right royally, you should pardon the expression, for any such constitutional change to get any support. Also, those of us with some history remember April 1940, when the elected politicians wanted to surrender to the Germans, and only the King had the spine to stand up and say "We're going to fight". Who knows, we might need some of that again.

Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by whiskysunrise:
quote:
I think it said that she was the crown prince's brother, though, so she's not directly in line for the throne.
[Laugh] She is a brother to the prince?
Well, they are right near Denmark.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
And that was my first thought, starLisa. [Big Grin]
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

Thanks, KoM. The article also said that y'all invited to come be your royal family? That the original King & Queen were part of the Danish royal family, and Norway decided it wanted royals? I thought that was pretty interesting.
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, it was a tactical maneuver to make the dissolution of the union with Sweden more palatable to the Great Powers. 1905, you know - republics weren't that popular. An independence movement was one thing, but a republic on top of that? Eh. Then the new king insisted (in the official version, anyway - newer histories disagree slightly on just whose idea this was) that he would not want to rule without a popular mandate, so a referendum on monarchy versus republic was held.

Incidentally, our current king is 60th in line ofr the throne of England. Now, you have to figure those people are pretyt well protected, but I wonder how we would deal with it if they all died of completely natural causes? Suddenly Norway would be in a personal union with Canada!

Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
It would be like King Ralph, but with much cooler accents.
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
I really hate this smiley: [Laugh]

People who use it suck.

Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
I love that movie! Is there anything Dan can't do?
Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, she is coming here too. I'm thining of taking Livvie.
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
A Norwegian Monarch neh? Maybe I should investigate... Maybe theyll all die of natural causes one by one on even numbered days...
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
whiskysunrise
Member # 6819

- posted      Profile for whiskysunrise   Email whiskysunrise         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Primal Curve:

People who use it suck.

Was that really necessary?
Posts: 747 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Primal Curve:

People who use it suck.

I figure it was more gratuitous than necessary.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Was using the smiley in the first place necessary?

Plank, meet eye.

Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

Although I would not have said anything had Primal not started the discussion, and I certainly would not have said it like he did, I did feel that the original usage of the smiley was unkind. Yes, I made a stupid mistake. It could have been pointed out without making me feel like an idiot. I don't hate the smiley, as when someone makes a joke it is sometimes an appropriate way to show appreciation for their humor. But I do not like it when it is used to laugh at someone instead of with them, regardless of if that someone is me or not.
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

eerg, its been eating at me, how am I like Carn Carby again? As far as I can remember (and I'm rereading EG for the 6th time) Carn wasn't very well explored character, so this is making my curiosity bone ache.
King of Men
Member # 6684

I was thinking of military skill : Competent, but not dazzling. Gets his ass handed to him by Ender. It wasn't so much that you're like Carn, it was more that you ain't no Ender. I just racked my brain to find a not-that-great commander from the book.
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Ah, now I understand.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.