FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Car problem. HELP!

Author Topic: Car problem. HELP!
Baron Samedi
Member # 9175

- posted      Profile for Baron Samedi           Edit/Delete Post 
Hey dudes. I have a problem with my car. Just wondering if anyone here can possibly help.

I'm driving a 1999 Saturn SW1. I left my driveway today and my car started making all manner of horrible noises. I turned back and pulled into my garage and looked under the car to see massive quantities of fluid pouring from a pan right next to the front passengers tire.

At first I thought it was transmission fluid, because some kids at Jiffy Lube did some service on it a little while ago. But as I did some investigation, I'm thinking it might not be. I checked the transmission fluid level (although I didn't dare do it with the car in idle) and there seemed to be plenty there. Same with the oil, steering fluid and brake fluid. But I noticed the coolant reservoir seemed empty. I poured some water into the coolant reservoir and it emptied out again pretty quickly. The fluid is clear brown (maybe slightly reddish) with a bit of sediment.

First, anyone think it might be anything other than the coolant? Is there anything else I should check before the tow truck comes?

Second, I'm sending it into the dealership, since I haven't lived in this area very long and don't know anyone around here I'd trust to work on it. But I don't want to be hosed by them. So what's the worst case scenario for that situation? I don't want them to make up some story about needing to replace the engine block, which I would buy because I'm kind of ignorant. And what should I say to them to let them know I'm not a complete dummy?

Sorry this is kind of a weird problem. Any help would be greatly appreciaged.

Posts: 563 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irregardless
Member # 8529

- posted      Profile for Irregardless   Email Irregardless         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
But I noticed the coolant reservoir seemed empty. I poured some water into the coolant reservoir and it emptied out again pretty quickly.
That sounds pretty conclusive to me. Maybe a radiator hose ruptured or came loose?
Posts: 326 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Not weird at all, fairly common. [Big Grin]

Sounds like coolent to me, but without seeing it myself I am just guessing.

Could be a hose...that's the best case situation. Could be the radiator, which would suck.

Good luck, let us know what it was...they only thing I can figure out is what the noises were. If it was just coolent, then there should have been very few noises.

What type of noises were they? How fast were you losing fluid?

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
It's also possible that your radiator itself is leaking somewhere. I had to have mine patched up once, and the damage was only about $35, I think.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irregardless
Member # 8529

- posted      Profile for Irregardless   Email Irregardless         Edit/Delete Post 
The 'massive quantities of fluid pouring' makes it sound less like a radiator leak to me (wouldn't think it'd be that sudden & catastrophic), but I don't really get the 'horrible sounds' either.
Posts: 326 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Baron Samedi
Member # 9175

It was a high-pitched squealing nose that seemed somewhat related, but not completely proportional, to the movement of the car.

After I got home and stopped the car I got out an a couple seconds later I heard some splashing. I looked under the car and the fluid was pouring out at the rate you'd expect if you opened a gallon of milk and turned it upside down.

Thanks for the help. [Smile]

Posts: 563 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Hmm. Could also be the water pump, I suppose. If the bearings on it had seized up, that would explain the horrible noises, and if it broke, then it would spray coolant and empty out the radiator pretty quickly.

Edit: The squealing probably came from the serpentine belt, in which case I'd put my money on the water pump. Pop the hood and look at the belt. Is there fluid all over it and the rest of that side of the engine compartment? Can you tell where the fluid was leaking from?

Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with JB, probably the water pump. That happened to me with those same symptoms (with the water pouring out as soon as you put it in).
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
Yup sounds coolant related to me. I think probably the water pump (because of the noises and you can lose fluid quickly when the pump goes) or a hose coming off. Do all the hoses appear to be properly connected? Can you follow the water marks to see where it came from?

Edit: from the pics it's hard to tell where the fluid came from. I'd be surprised if it actually originated that far down (rather than dripping down from above). If it did actually come from that far down, it could be a blown hose or possibly a blown plug (I forget the actual name - the plugs in your engine block).

Out of curiosity, have you ever flushed your radiator? That fluid is dirtier than I'd expect to see in a vehicle of that age.

Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Baron Samedi
Member # 9175

Nope. I haven't owned the car for very long.

Thanks for the help, everyone. I'll feel much more confident talking to the mechanics now. If anyone has anything to add, feel free. If not, I'll let you know what happens. [Smile]

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It was a high-pitched squealing nose that seemed somewhat related, but not completely proportional, to the movement of the car.

When you get a lot of wet fluid on your belts, don't they make that sound? So if he blew a hose and it sprayed all over his fan belt, I could imagine it squealing.
Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking of car problems, I have almost a thousand dollars of repairs to do to my car before we can drive it to D.C. The axles, CV boots, and brakes are all getting replaced.

This is not fun. [Frown]

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

quote:
Originally posted by Farmgirl:
quote:

When you get a lot of wet fluid on your belts, don't they make that sound? So if he blew a hose and it sprayed all over his fan belt, I could imagine it squealing.
Yup. That's why I'm guessing it's the water pump. Several months ago a small plastic fitting on a hose in my car blew, so the water pump started spraying coolant over everything. The belt squealed and actually slipped off. Luckily I just needed that fitting replaced, and they replaced it with an aluminum one that wouldn't break like that.

Hopefully Baron Samedi's car problem is something similarly small like a hose or a fitting and not the water pump itself.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.