FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The Hatrack Practical Joke Thread

Author Topic: The Hatrack Practical Joke Thread
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Ha! Made you look! [Wink]

So what practical jokes has the Hatrack community at large have deviously concucted recently?

(PS: Soon to be renamed the "Practical Jokes and Anetdokes thread")

[ April 12, 2006, 07:42 PM: Message edited by: Blayne Bradley ]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Can I talk you into renaming it the "Practical Jokes and Anecdotes" thread, instead?
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Blayne Bradley:
Ha! Made you look! [Wink]

So what practical jokes has the Hatrack community at large have deviously concucted recently?

(PS: Soon to be renamed the "Practical Jokes and Anetdokes thread")

Heh. Don't know why that struck me as funny, but it did.

Every now and then my boss at work will play a joke on his employees. He's called me a couple times in the last couple years all angry and wondering where I was. I'd say that I wasn't scheduled to work that shift and he'd reply with something about scheduling changes and how I'd be in huge trouble if I didn't get my butt to the restaurant immediately.

Sometimes he'd tell me at the end of that conversation that he was just kidding, other times he'd hang up and wait five minutes to call me back before telling me it was a joke. It's taken me about two years to find it even slightly amusing.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Anecdotes smells funny. [Smile]

in my basement where I sleep theres like 5 beds so I took all ym blankets and made some 5 bundles that resembled a human on each bed, and myself hid under the bed.

My sister asked my brother to look for me and he got quite a surprise that none of the little mounds were actually me, at the end he was kinda panicking, never worked twice though.

vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
This was the least funny practical joke ever:

I was driving my girlfriends car to pick up my brother. When my brother and I got back to the apartment complex to pick up the lady and her friend we went inside. They weren't in the apartment, so we figured they had headed out to the car and we had passed in the night. We went back out to the car and it wasn't there. I realized that I hadn't locked it when I left. Right about then my girlfriend calls and says that she is in a friends apartment in the same complex, and she'll meet us at the car. Cue me freaking out. I ran around the block and didn't see the car anywhere. I was pretty much hyperventilating and my brother had a blank look on his face that was a combination of fear and pity for what I was going to go through. So we headed back to the apartment and met up with the ladies. They were all, "are you guys ready to go?" and I was all, " is there anything, anything at all that you aren't telling me, please god let there be something that you aren't telling me." and I'm about to cry. Then she and her friend bust out laughing and proceded to laugh for aproximately 2 weeks.

I'm sure you all guessed the joke long before I did. I did not find the joke funny at all, as just before the end my left arm was feeling a little funny and I tasted copper.

Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Lemme geuss they borrowed the car? Cuz' I'm not entirely sure where the joke is unless thats it. Sometimes I need jokes explained to find them funny.
vonk
Member # 9027

oh, yeah. Sorry, maybe it was only obvious to me after the fact. Yeah, they moved the car. Not cool.
Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

lol. C'mon you'll be laughing about it in a week.
vonk
Member # 9027

No, this was like 3 months ago, and it still ain't funny.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
My friends tried a similar prank on me last year when we went camping. I'd parked my car all by itself at the public parking lot across from the campground and they went to go swimming (the beach is right next to the lot) at night.

So they came back and told me my car was missing and wanted to know where I'd parked it cause they wanted me to give them a lift to a local store. I told them I'd parked it right at the lot. They told me it wasn't there.

Lucky for me I'd been drinking a bit that night, and I was kind of tired, so I said whatever, if It'd been stolen I'd figure it all out in the morning, plus no one else really seemed concerned, so I figured what the heck. So it sort of backfired on them.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BandoCommando
Member # 7746

- posted      Profile for BandoCommando           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
Can I talk you into renaming it the "Practical Jokes and Anecdotes" thread, instead?

For the life of me, I can't see how you followed TomDavidson's rule, Tom. Weren't you supposed to make some sort of speeling error when correcting someone else's spelling?

What, I say, what is the world coming to?

Posts: 1099 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Strictly speaking, I wasn't correcting him; I was merely offering an alternative.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BandoCommando
Member # 7746

- posted      Profile for BandoCommando           Edit/Delete Post 
Ahhh... I see now.

For a second, I thought the world had gone crazy.

Posts: 1099 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
human_2.0
Member # 6006

- posted      Profile for human_2.0   Email human_2.0         Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone do any computer practical jokes?

Last Halloween I modified my computer lab login screens with bats, ghosts, spiders, and replaced the O in Mac OS with a pumpkin. At login they played random spooky sounds.

Last year Ambrosia Software released ScreenCleaner Pro:

http://www.ambrosiasw.com/utilities/freebies/

quote:

Over time, your LCD or CRT monitor will gradually fade in brightness and contrast. This fading is inevitable, because the backlights for LCD screens eventually fade, and the photo-reactive substrate on CRT monitors eventually degrades.
ScreenCleaner Pro rectifies this situation by altering the gamma of your monitor to compensate for monitor degradation, so it will look as good as new. Don't toss out that old monitor, just run ScreenCleaner Pro on it, and watch your old monitor gain a new life.

Simply let ScreenCleaner Pro run in the background, and it will automatically analyze your monitor's gamma curve and relative luminescence. After enough calibration data has been collected, ScreenCleaner Pro will adjust your monitor to like-new condition.

The analyzation/calibration process can take up to 10 minutes, but you can work normally while ScreenCleaner Pro is analyzing your monitor; simply let it run in the background.

Anyone with Mac OS X can try it out. It is pretty funny.

I wanted to replace the login panels on Apr1st with a Windows XP login panel, but didn't get to it.

I'm serious, there is a super void of computer pranks.

Posts: 1209 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
A friend of mine once wanted to play a trick on her parents. She washed her car windshield really well one hot day and drove over to her parents house. Once there, she took a white chocolate bar and held it against the window until the chocolate started melting and a bit of it ran a little ways down the window. She then went in to pick up her parent to take them to dinner. When they got to the car she exclaimed loudly, "Dammit! I just washed this car. What kind of stupid bird just ruined my new wash job?" Then she swiped a finger through the "bird poop", licked her finger and said very definitively "Seagulls." Needless to say, her parents were horrified. [Smile]
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
LOL

Seagulls.

I once sold my highschool. A group of us decided that would be a great senior prank, but they all chickened out. I went to the local paper and ran an ad in the realestate section offering "A large house with multiple baths, big kitchen, full gym..." etc etc. I gave the school's phone number and said, "Contact Frank or Bill" the first names of our principal and viceprincipal.

The phones were busy all day with inquiries.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
Lyrhawn, your boss is evil!

At an old job of mine in the late 80s or very early 90s, before email was prevalent, we had a system at work where we could send each other messages. One day our supervisor left his logon up and one co-worker used the boss's logon to send another a message about unprofessional attire at work. The next day the poor guy showed up in a suit. This was a night-shift pre-press operation where no one dressed up--poor guy. He was partial to jeans with holes in the knees. The woman who'd done it to him felt really bad when she realized he'd fallen for it--it was sort of an old joke but I guess the messages we'd send each other from one another's logons were normally a bit less ambiguously faked.

Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
When I worked at NSA, whenever we found someone had left their workstation without locking it down, we'd take a snapshot of their desktop, set it as their wallpaper, then move all their desktop icons to the trash. They'd come back, click on things. Nothing would happen. Reboot, still nothing. Eventually get frustrated and call computer support (us [Big Grin] ) and report the problem.

"Hmm, seems like someone got into your system while you were away. Did you lock it down?"

Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
human_2.0
Member # 6006

LOL! I did that at an Apple store once. [Big Grin] I think Apple has since made better kiosk displays.
Posts: 1209 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Althai
Member # 9275

- posted      Profile for Althai           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

For the benefit of those of us who don't own macs, what exactly does it do?

David

Posts: 29 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
human_2.0
Member # 6006

I didn't want to give it away... So, SPOILERS....
Over the course of 5 or 10 minutes it slowly darkens your screen, slowly enough that you don't notice. Then all of a sudden this big blue rag starts "washing" the screen clean, literaly. It leaves streak marks behind it as it moves around and around the screen.

Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Althai:
quote:

For the benefit of those of us who don't own macs, what exactly does it do?

David

It doesn't do anything. That's the beauty of it.
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
I like to surprise people coming out of the bathroom. Once, I climbed up the hallway walls and waited, spread-eagled Jackie Chan style, back pressed against the ceiling, and waited for my friend to exit. Once she was directly below me, I just started screaming.

Yawning isn't the only thing that's contagious.

The only lesson here is to be sure not to kill both your victim and yourself while your side is splitting.

Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
I was talking to my friend today and we remembered this time that we were bored and decided to play a joke on my sister. Now, we were really young and my sister was even younger. So the story goes like this:

I'd been talking for a long time about doing something big and new and exciting. And my sister didn't know my friend was over. So I told my friend to lay down on my bed, and I covered him with a blanket. I told my sister to come into my room, I had something to show her. I told her I had completed my project. It was a robot. The perfect robot. And I had created it to look exactly like my friend. On cue, my friend rose up and he played along perfectly. We had her (my sister) soooo good. Seriously, it freaked her out. So maybe it wasn't all that great of one, but it was great to our young minds.

Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.