Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Pesach

Author Topic: Pesach
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
Why didn't anyone tell me eating too much charoset can cause major stomach cramping?

*whince*

....so sweet after such yucky, salty herbs....

Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
I hate Haroset. I have, during Korech, Matzah and Maror alone (I run the Sedder, so I've got the right to, right?) - in a sandwich, of course. Can't stand Haroset, love the Maror...

[Big Grin]

Be careful, today's D'var Torah stated how Pesach is a celebration of all sorts of psycological and psychiatrical disorders (OC in cleaning, food disorders, the various sons in the Hagaddah, et cetera).

All the poor chaps overseas still have another day! [Big Grin]

Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
I love Haroset. I make mine with dates, chopped walnuts, cinnamon and sweet red wine.

Yummy! [Big Grin]

Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
I always make lots of extra Charoses, because everyone loves it so much. Apples, walnuts, lots of cinnamon and sweet red wine. Chop chop chop chop chop into a mush. Spread some on your matzah and cream cheese. Stir a nice spoonful into your plain yogurt. Or, like my son, top a load of it with a nice spoonful of plain yogurt.

Pesachy goodness!

We had Pesach S'mores over at our house. Top a matzah with chocolate chips and bake until they begin to melt. Then top that with marshmallows, and bake some more until the 'mallows puff up and start to brown.

Mmm-mmm good!

And every year, we eat "Machos". They are just like Nachos, except broken matzahs stand in for the tortilla chips. Cheese melted on, sour cream, olives, salsa. They are gone in a flash!

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Val, because I never heard of such a thing?!

My charoses is much like Esther's, but I use the food processor rather than a knife. Never had it with dairy, but that's an interesting thought.

And why was your maror salty?

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
And why was your maror salty?

She didn't say her maror was salty. She complained about salty herbs. Maybe she had parsley dipped in salt water, like we do in our house, and doesn't happen to like the taste of parsley. (Some people do find it bitter.)
Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

You've got it, Ela. This year I had only a taste. The first year (not even thinking) I threw the whole sprig in my mouth.
Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Ohhhh! Sorry, very used to maror being translated as "bitter herbs" -- even though that's not a good translation.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
Ohhhh! Sorry, very used to maror being translated as "bitter herbs" -- even though that's not a good translation.

[nitpicking]

She never used the word "bitter."

[/nitpicking]

[Wink]

(Sorry, I couldn't resist. [Razz] )

rivka
Member # 4859

I am aware of that.

But it wouldn't occur to me to refer to karpas as any type of herbs (despite the fact that we often use parsley as a component), so maror was the only thing I thought of.

[Dont Know]

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
I bought a Pesach food processor solely for saving me the labor of chop chop chopping the charoses. I now chop it in the food processor. Because I'm modern Orthodox. [Big Grin]

Some people grate their charoses. That's just wrong.

And our entire Pesach is dairy. The vegetarians all come and stay with us, so I don't even own fleishig Pesach things.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

We actually had six fleishig meals first days. >_< That's a bit much for me -- and my mom, but she didn't feel like arguing with my brothers.

And tonight we had barbecue cooked on my dad's brand-new, super-fancy grill. Mmmmmm!

Ela
Member # 1365

quote:
Originally posted by Tante Shvester:
I bought a Pesach food processor solely for saving me the labor of chop chop chopping the charoses. I now chop it in the food processor. Because I'm modern Orthodox. [Big Grin]

Some people grate their charoses. That's just wrong.

And our entire Pesach is dairy. The vegetarians all come and stay with us, so I don't even own fleishig Pesach things.

We bought a food processor for that purpose, too, Tante. It's wonderful (still remembers the days when we had to shell and chop all our walnuts for the charoset, cause you couldn't get shelled ones that were kosher for Pesach).

I also use the food processor to make other food items for Pesach.

We have chicken and chicken soup for the seders, for Friday night dinner, and for dinner on the last two days of Passover. For Passover holiday and Shabbat lunches and the other days we eat dairy.

rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Ela:
(still remembers the days when we had to shell and chop all our walnuts for the charoset, cause you couldn't get shelled ones that were kosher for Pesach).

Me too! And I was always the one who had to shell mountains of the things! [Angst]
quote:
We have chicken and chicken soup for the seders, for Friday night dinner, and for dinner on the last two days of Passover. For Passover holiday and Shabbat lunches and the other days we eat dairy.
We usually have one (or maybe two) milchig yom tov lunches. Not Shabbos.
Valentine014
Member # 5981

Milchig yom tov?

A good day dairy lunch?

A dairy lunch on a festival day?

rivka
Member # 4859

*laugh* Sorry!

The second one. [Big Grin]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.