FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I am apparently what is wrong with America (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: I am apparently what is wrong with America
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And I'm underweight. mph, did I look underweight when I met you in March? hmm.
It doesn't surprise me.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
You looked to have about the same build that I do, which is slightly underweight.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=common
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=man

But what do they mean by phrases like that? They don't really make any sense to me...
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, I'm feeling a little sympathy toward Orincoro - if not toward his style.

What was the point of printing a list of basically good things about himself under the heading "I am apparently what is wrong with America" if not to get people to respond with how, of course, he is wonderful and America needs more of him? I'm sure sopwith is a great person and we likely do need more of him, but it sounds like the nationalistic version of, "Oh, you don't need to bother with me; I'm just your mother." Or, "Call me old-fashioned, but I love my famiy."

Although I'm sure that sopwith intended nothing of the sort, it can have the effect of making those of us who aren't just like him, or may not agree with him, feel manipulated and guilty. As if we had accused him of being "what's wrong with America."

As I said, I don't thin sopwith intended this, but I can understand Orincoro's reading it that way.

Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Synesthesia:
quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=common
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=man

But what do they mean by phrases like that? They don't really make any sense to me...
Those weren't phrases; they were just links.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by pH:
quote:
Originally posted by Jon Boy:
Maybe Sopwith's wrong; maybe Orinoco's what's wrong with America. [Wink]

Hear, hear!

-pH

You cut me real deep pH.

I think I hear the phone ringing hang on....

-species 8472?
-yah
-oh
-no, actually she's here
-I can't say THAT!
-that's not fair
-no she is NOT
-Well, if you put it that way i can see...
-uhuh.
-really?
-Oh.

Hey pH. I am disgusted at you.

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

quote:
Originally posted by Dr Strangelove:
Orincoro, did you know that your name, if tweaked a bit, could be an interesting palindrome?

I don't see it. [Confused]
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
I disgust a lot of people. [Cool]

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

quote:
Originally posted by kmbboots:

Although I'm sure that sopwith intended nothing of the sort, it can have the effect of making those of us who aren't just like him, or may not agree with him, feel manipulated and guilty. As if we had accused him of being "what's wrong with America."

As I said, I don't thin sopwith intended this, but I can understand Orincoro's reading it that way.

I did think that was what was intended, so while I might be harsh, well I AM harsh, its for a reason. I would like Sopwith to think about what this list is really meant to say about him. If I judged too quickly, I'm sorry, but I think I am justified.

But I nevertheless retract my asessment of Sopwith's narcisism if this list was truly just the product of a spur of the moment whim that was never really thought to its innevitable conclusion. It happens.

Orincoro
Member # 8854

quote:
Originally posted by pH:
I disgust a lot of people. [Cool]

-pH

I used to discuss alot of people, now I generally avoid gossip. [Big Grin]
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dan_raven:
quote:
I'd do something about it if I could, but my hands are tied.
I am living on a need to know basis. Why are your hands tied? I don't need (want) to know.
Then why ask, Dan?

[Wink] [Razz]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, sorry Orincoro, I wasn't at my most lucid when I posted that. Lets see ... ummm ...

Orincniro

Yeah, that's all I got. If you're dyslexic maybe it'd work ...

Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

What a tease [Grumble] I thought you had something good.
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Oriniro?
Oronoro?
Oroncnoro?

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

See, I always think Orinoco, like Orinoco Flow...

Sail away, sail away, sail away...

Wait, that's not it...is it?

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

That's what I always think of as well.
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
All joking aside, I do think some of these really are problems :

quote:
I am a Christian.
I have an SUV.
I'm in debt up to my armpits.
I am obese.
I am a college drop out.
I am an underachiever.

And, incidentally, strongly correlated.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
That list kind of annoys for some reason
But most lists like that tend to bug me.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
prolixshore
Member # 4496

- posted      Profile for prolixshore           Edit/Delete Post 
Yes. Because all Christians are fat. People who finish college never get into debt. Underachievers always drive SUVs.

--ApostleRadio

EDIT: Before it is inevitably pointed out, you are correct. You said correlated and I took it to the extreme of saying always and never. I shouldn't have done that, as your statement is ridiculous enough as it stands that there was no need for exaggeration on my part.

Posts: 1612 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

quote:
Originally posted by pH:
See, I always think Orinoco, like Orinoco Flow...
Sail away, sail away, sail away...
Wait, that's not it...is it?
-pH

It is in fact based on that. It was originally that, however many years ago I lost the code to my "Orinoco" AIM screename, and had to devise an alternate which would be recognizable to friends, so that the change would go unnoticed (also a helpful tip for stalkers attempting to masquerade as somebody's actual friend.... I've said too much. J/K I've never tried that. Seriously.)

Anyway Orincoro it became for some reason. I only noticed when people here started saying Orinoco that it seemed like an ingenious play on "Hatrack River." Alas no, I have been Orincoro since 2000 or so.

Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
I smoke.
I've lied before.
I've told the truth when I shouldn't have.
I've given money to a beggar.
I've turned my back on someone in need.
I waste time when things have to get done.
I've been known to be lazy.
I've held a grudge or two.
I've shot my mouth off.
I've held my tongue when someone needed me to speak up.
I've voted for a candidate or two that I didn't know.
I've let someone's appearance prejudice my opinion of them.
I have been vain.
I have planned for tomorrow, but never followed through on it.

Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
And who by fire?
Who by water?
Who in the sunshine?
Who in the nighttime?
Who by high ordeal?
Who by common trial?

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey! That BMI calculator is incredibly insulting! I am not obese. I mean, yeah, I'm a little soft around the middle, and I'm approaching A cups, but obese? I don't think so. 6'2" @ 240lbs is not obese.
Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
prolixshore
Member # 4496

- posted      Profile for prolixshore           Edit/Delete Post 
BMIs do not work a lot of the time. For example, As a 6'1" 190 pound 22 year old male, I am slightly overweight? It fails to take muscle mass into account.

--ApostleRadio

Posts: 1612 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chungwa
Member # 6421

- posted      Profile for Chungwa   Email Chungwa         Edit/Delete Post 
It's interesting that you list "giving money to a beggar" in a list of otherwise negative actions.
Posts: 367 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Some consider it negative as it can reinforce negative habits (drug use/alcoholism/more begging) from the recipient.

Others see it as a good thing.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chungwa
Member # 6421

- posted      Profile for Chungwa   Email Chungwa         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry. My post was intended to point out that while some people view it as negative (for the reasons you listed), others view it as positive (for, in my opinion, much more rational reasons).
Posts: 367 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah to Ornicoro for using "species 8472" in a post!
Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

quote:
Originally posted by vonk:
Hey! That BMI calculator is incredibly insulting! I am not obese. I mean, yeah, I'm a little soft around the middle, and I'm approaching A cups, but obese? I don't think so. 6'2" @ 240lbs is not obese.

actually that's quite a hefty build if I do say so myself- 6'00 210 and I'm not a small man
pH
Member # 1350

Am I the only one who's reminded of that Bowie song by this thread title?

I'm afraid of Americans...I'm afraid of the world...

-pH

Kristen
Member # 9200

- posted      Profile for Kristen   Email Kristen         Edit/Delete Post 
According to that BMI calculator if the ratio goes up .1 more, I am OVERWEIGHT. Thus, doomed to societal consternation and prone to be videotaped from the neck down innocently walking down the streets of Chicago to be used in the news reporting on the 'obesity epidemic'.

But for now, as long as I stay at 24.9, I'm HEALTHY and I get a pat on the back. [Roll Eyes]

Sopwith, I don't understand how you can list all those attributes equally. "owning an SUV" seems to be an entirely different kind of trait that "raising your own child".

Yesterday I had to deter a 6 and 10 year old from BEGGING because they had no food. You should be proud of yourself for being a stable, loving parent, and giving your child support and love.

EDIT w/ respect to Bao: Oh...you were being flippant? Well, I guess I exhausted my critical reading skills in class today. Still, the idea that anyone finds anything wrong with being a considerate and loving parents makes me extremely vexed.

[ April 14, 2006, 06:58 PM: Message edited by: Kristen ]

Posts: 484 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BaoQingTian
Member # 8775

- posted      Profile for BaoQingTian   Email BaoQingTian         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh please, everyone lay off Sopwith. He was just having fun making a list with things about himself that some group or another have said negative things about.

I don't think it was intended to manipulate as some have suggested, be a comprehensive list, or even all be important things. 'Twas just a little fun folks.

P.S. That BMI is a joke. I hope people don't really take it seriously. I'm 6'3, 192 lbs and I have a BMI of 24.9. I work out 4 times a week-10 minutes of running and about 1/2 an hour of circuit type weight lifting. Muscle is 22% more dense than fat. You can get skinnier and still gain weight. I'm sure everyone out there knows that, but just didn't want anyone going anorexic.

Posts: 1412 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

My BMI is 18.3.

I guess I'm anorexic then.

I'm gonna go finish off my Nestle Crunch ice cream. [Razz]

-pH

SoaPiNuReYe
Member # 9144

- posted      Profile for SoaPiNuReYe           Edit/Delete Post 
Sop just reading your list made me list a thousand things about myself that made me worse than you [Frown] .
Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Julia
Member # 9244

- posted      Profile for Julia   Email Julia         Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like i'm still under weight. You know, you'd think that eating like a pig would pay off sooner or later. Dang that metabolism of mine!!

My stance on the marriage thing is this:

Marraige between a man and a women is sacred. I don't really mind if homosexuals go off and get married, but I don't consider that type of marraige sacred.

[ April 14, 2006, 07:45 PM: Message edited by: Julia ]

Posts: 33 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
I love despair.com's demotivators. For some reason that's what this thread reminded me of. The one I'm most laughing about right now is this one.

Dysfunction The only consistent feature of all your dissatisfying relationships is you.

I can't read it without cracking up. So true, so true! [ROFL]

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

Compromise could be the hatrack motto. [Wink]
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

Quality is another favorite. [Smile]
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
I like Wishes.
Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

Lol, Juxtapose! I am fond of that one myself.
Dante
Member # 1106

- posted      Profile for Dante           Edit/Delete Post 
Loneliness has always had a central place in my heart.
Posts: 1068 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

[Smile]
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.