FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » United 93 (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: United 93
Shepherd
Member # 7380

- posted      Profile for Shepherd           Edit/Delete Post 
I have to admit I like the idea of an arthritic Thor. I guess Mjolnors batteries must have been running low.
Posts: 242 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
It IS one of the most lightning-prone spots in the world, IIRC. [Wink]
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
I plan on seeing the movie. The guys were heroic victims, like just about everybody who dies in a just war. I do admit appreciating how they are going to play up Bingham's Berkeley background.

It's a good story, like the Great Escape, of good people doing the best they can in an awful situation. To be honest, it's not often that we get an example of mob courage, especially since we live in bureaucracy. I'm glad the movie is being made, and I think that the world will be a better place for it.

Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The White Whale
Member # 6594

- posted      Profile for The White Whale           Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. Okay.

First, yeah...I know I'm 5 years late on this. I stayed away from it for the same reasons a lot of you here mentioned. Weird to see it in a theater. Didn't want to play into Hollywood's hands. Didn't want to view this as entertainment. But my uncle recently recommended it and I'm glad he did.

Second, I don't think this film is exploitative. It cost $15 million and made $30 million. As I understand it, that's more or less breaking even. It's not sappy, cheesy, manipulative. It doesn't glorify anyone, or add political spin or martyrdom or traditional heroism.

Third, it's a damn good story, told very, very well. I felt the confusion, surprise, panic, anger, confusion, sadness, confusion, and chaos that those on the ground, in the air, in the control towers, in the military bases, in the airports, and everywhere else felt. It felt appropriate to watch it here on my couch, on my own. It felt appropriate, and respectful.

So, yeah. I understand all of your reasons to avoid it. But if you're open to the experience, and curious, and like a film that can convey actual, deep, penetrating emotion, I'd recommend it.

[ April 23, 2010, 07:55 AM: Message edited by: The White Whale ]

Posts: 1711 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.