FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Hugo And Nebula Nominees

Author Topic: Hugo And Nebula Nominees
Cactus Jack
Member # 2671

- posted      Profile for Cactus Jack           Edit/Delete Post 
I think all of the nominees for short fiction in this year's Hugo and Nebula awards are now online.

Anyone have any favorites?

Posts: 241 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amilia
Member # 8912

- posted      Profile for Amilia   Email Amilia         Edit/Delete Post 
I loved Inside Job. (Hugo--Novella)

Here's Dewey's booktalk on it.

Posts: 364 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I just read that...it was great! [Big Grin]

BTW, Serenity is up for one on that liast as well. [Wink]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Kwea, did you get my voicemail(s)?
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Soara
Member # 6729

- posted      Profile for Soara   Email Soara         Edit/Delete Post 
Serenity! Yay!
Posts: 464 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't have the phone today, sorry. [Big Grin]

I got out of work really late the last two days......not until 11:30 tongiht. [Frown]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Ahaha, Doctor Who is up for three in the same category. Heeheehee.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
go serenity!

I can't believe that Feast made it though. I could see some of Martin's other books, but not this one.

Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kristen
Member # 9200

- posted      Profile for Kristen   Email Kristen         Edit/Delete Post 
Looking at the Hugo nominees makes me realize that aside from Orson Scott Card and a few others, I really don't read that much scifi/fantasy.
Posts: 484 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
BSG. [Smile]
*happy*

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nell Gwyn
Member # 8291

- posted      Profile for Nell Gwyn   Email Nell Gwyn         Edit/Delete Post 
Slightly off-topic, but what is the difference between a novella and a novelette?
Posts: 952 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Length. Novella: 20,000-50,000 words; novelette: 7,500-17,500.

But really, both are used almost interchangeably (by everybody but judging committees [Wink] ).

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nell Gwyn
Member # 8291

- posted      Profile for Nell Gwyn   Email Nell Gwyn         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, thanks. I figured it was something like that, but when I looked them up, dictionary.com just proclaimed them both as "short novels".
Posts: 952 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

So, if you write a story 17 501- 19 999 words long, what are you writing?

A Noveletta?

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

A short novel. [Wink]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

But there's no category for short novels!

O.o

[Wink]

rivka
Member # 4859

No Nebula for you!
Teshi
Member # 5024

That's just what I was thinking. All those poor people who got shafted just because of the length of their stories.

[Frown]

rivka
Member # 4859

Hugo and Nebula guidelines call anything from 17,500-40,000 words a novella.

I should've checked there to begin with.

Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
What do you call a non-fiction book 17,000-40,000 words long? besides obviously, a book.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
Well I read Robert Charles Wilson's Spin last week. Great book!
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goldenstar
Member # 6990

- posted      Profile for Goldenstar           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Cactus Jack:
I think all of the nominees for short fiction in this year's Hugo and Nebula awards are now online.

Anyone have any favorites?

Spin, by Robert Charles Wilson, absolute, hands-down best Sci-fi/thriller i have EVER read(that includes all of OSCs work).
Posts: 67 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goldenstar
Member # 6990

- posted      Profile for Goldenstar           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Orincoro:
What do you call a non-fiction book 17,000-40,000 words long? besides obviously, a book.

Novela or Novellete i believe. I think novellet, Novela is something like 3000-15000.
Posts: 67 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
Non-fiction books don't have names based on length [1] rather they are categorized by genre.

[1] Okay, that's not entirely true, there are books and there are pamphlets. And then there are the abominations which are more generally called 'self-help books.'

Edit to Add: Genre or type depending on how strict you want to be in your use of the term genre.

Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
Wait -- what!?

George R.R. Martin says on his Web site that he has never one a Hugo award.

How is that possible?

Edit to ADD: As much as I would like to see him win a Hugo, Feast for Crows is the weakest novel in the series (which isn't saying much because it's such a good series). Perhaps it would be better if he didn't win this year, and then wins next year for the next book.

Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
George R.R. Martin says on his Web site that he has never one a Hugo award.

How is that possible?

He hasn't written all that many books, and it's harder for fantasy to win than science fiction. (Or does that only apply to the Nebula?)
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kristen
Member # 9200

quote:
it's harder for fantasy to win than science fiction.
Mr. Porteiro (and everybody else as I think this is kind of interesting and genuinely don't know):

Why is that so? Do you think that fantasy has a disadvantaged position with the awards or that the quality and/or quantity of science fiction writing overwhelms that of fantasy?

Posts: 484 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I think that in general, fantasy isn't as good and is much more derivative than science fiction. This is understandable, since science fiction is around 100 years old and fantasy (as a genre) is only about 50 years old.

It was only 60 years ago that science fiction really got past its childhood of "Look! I've got space ships, laser guns and aliens!" and started producing a lot of stuff that has withtood the test of time. I'm optimistic that fantasy is taking the same turn right now away from "Look! I've got magic and swords and elves!"

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kristen
Member # 9200

quote:
It was only 60 years ago that science fiction really got past its childhood of "Look! I've got space ships, laser guns and aliens!" and started producing a lot of stuff that has withtood the test of time. I'm optimistic that fantasy is taking the same turn right now away from "Look! I've got magic and swords and elves!"
[ROFL] But so true. And you can't forget the Orcs.
OlavMah
Member # 756

- posted      Profile for OlavMah   Email OlavMah         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought George had won the Hugo in the short story category, but I could be wrong....

The last three novel winners I remember are Bujold's fantasy (Paladin of Souls, I think), Neil Gamon's American Gods, and J.K. Rowling's Harry Potter 4. I can't think of an SF winner (though granted, I'm not trying very hard.)

[ April 21, 2006, 10:32 AM: Message edited by: OlavMah ]

Posts: 700 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Destineer
Member # 821

- posted      Profile for Destineer           Edit/Delete Post 
God, why do Charles Stross's novels keep getting nominated? I haven't read Accelerando, to be fair, but Singularity Sky was tragically bad.
Posts: 4600 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
George R.R. Martin has written SF. I've read both Dying of the Light and the collection of short stories Tuf Voyaging. Both are great and definitely worth a read if you're a Martin fan.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.