FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The Best City in Europe (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: The Best City in Europe
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
prolixshore, Warsaw? Why? Why???

more importantly, why not Krakow?

Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LeoJ
Member # 9272

- posted      Profile for LeoJ   Email LeoJ         Edit/Delete Post 
<----- Lives in Barcelona.
Posts: 56 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celaeno
Member # 8562

- posted      Profile for Celaeno   Email Celaeno         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by pH:
You have to meet TWO real Hatrackers to be real.

-pH

I just talked to erosomniac who claims that he is real, and I know him, so that's my two, right? I'm real now?
Posts: 866 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Epictetus:
Thinking about it, I am real...sort of. I've met MacKillian and I know T_Smith, but I knew him before either of us had even heard of Hatrack, does that count?

It doesn't matter when you met the Hatrackers. What's important is that that MacKillian and T_Smith are willing to vouch for your existence.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Celaeno, being real in this context means having met two people who attended a very early Hatrack gathering, or having met two people who have met those people, or two people who met people who had met the original gathering attendees, and so on and so forth. Is erosomniac real, using that definition of the term?
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
Noeman, If I understand, it goes beyond having met two people who are "real". Those two people have to verify that they have met you in order for you to be real.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

Oh, And definitely don't rule out Paris. I've been to many European cities and many of them are fantastic places, but if you haven't been to Paris, you should do Paris.

There is a reason other cities are called "The Paris of the (North, East, South, West)".

Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by LeoJ:
<----- Lives in Barcelona.

I lived on Gran via near La Sagrada Familia this summer... not a bad place to be for a summer. Those Catalan buffets are a great value: Beer and cappuccino at a buffet, not a bad way to live!
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celaeno
Member # 8562

Rome and Paris are my two favorites right now, but one of the people I'm going with has already been to Paris twice. She'd really prefer to go somewhere different. Maybe I can push for Rome. She's only been there once. Oh, there are so many places I want to go. I wish I had all summer.

LeoJ, sorry, didn't see that until just now. Do you think it's a good place to visit?

Noemon & Rabbit, I'm not entirely sure. Maybe he can come in here and clear that up.

erosomniac, I see you...

Posts: 866 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
Of all the cities I've visited in Europe, Venice's prepetual street fair is the one I most wish I'd had more time in.

Didn't get further east than Italy/Germany/Switzerland, though, and many people speak well of Budapest.

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
I miss Barcelona. I used to live in Calafell, LeoJ. One of these days I'd love to go back, but I hear the town has changed a lot in the past 15 years.
Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

What time of year do you plan to go? I've heard that Rome is terrible in mid - late Summer, but excellent in the fall and spring.

Prague is also supposed to be hot a miserable in August, but when I was there last August it was quite rainy and cold in all of central Europe.

Copenhagen is also a really terrific city and is probably much nicer in late summer than places further south. Its also about 10 times as expensive as Prague.

The Rabbit
Member # 671

Have you considered St. Petersburg. I haven't been there but my sister has and she loved it. If your planning to go during the heat of summer, that might be a terrific option.
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
I should mention in regard to Paris: gorgeous, but *expensive*. Still, standing beneath the Eifel Tower is one of the greatest feelings of architectural awe I've ever had.

Also should mention that, despite reputation, everyone we spoke to in Paris was perfectly polite, even kind. The only really rude person I dealt with in Europe was a British bus driver.

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celaeno
Member # 8562

Ooh, I didn't even give a thought to weather. Thanks, guys. I'm going mid-August. That could prove problematic.
Dante
Member # 1106

- posted      Profile for Dante           Edit/Delete Post 
In mid-August much of Italy is shut down; it's their vacation time. However, while some smaller towns close down almost completely, Rome is Rome. I doubt you'd miss much. If anything, you might benefit from some tourists staying away. However, it will be awfully hot and awfully humid.

That said, I've spent two full summers in Italy and parts of two more. If you pace yourself and keep hydrated, you should be fine. Besides, the heat gives you another excuse to stop for a gelato every half-hour or so.

Posts: 1068 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celaeno
Member # 8562

The three of us got together tonight and decided on Prague for a multitude of reasons. Your advice really did come in handy, and I can't wait to go. Thank you, all!
collissimon
Member # 9346

- posted      Profile for collissimon   Email collissimon         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd recommend York, it's a beautiful old city, with little shops and a couple of museums. If you get bored of York there are also Leeds and Manchester a train ride away.

Or, if you want to go onto the the mainland, I'd go to Trieste, in Italy. In the past it was disputed, and in the past century has been Italian, Internationally managed, German, briefly Italian and Austro-Hungarian. All this is present in the architecture, its kinda sleepy but I loved it! Also, if you decide it's not for you, there are links to Croatia, Slovenia and more!

Posts: 23 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

quote:
Nah! In August there are no Italians in Rome, only tourists.
Prague's a good choice! I was their last summer in mid-August. All the guide books said not to go in August because of the heat but last summer central Europe was miserably rainy and cold. Prices in Prague are a lot higher than they were in the 90s but still less than most Western European countries. Trains are really cheap in Czech compared to western Europe so plan to takes some excursions to other towns in the area.

Be careful, In Czech, yes is ono, which is usually shortened to just "no".

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.