FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Bush House Cleaning/Ramp up to Iran war? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Bush House Cleaning/Ramp up to Iran war?
Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone else looked at the sudden change of White House Chief of Staff and his early announcements and wondered what is about to happen? It was just a couple of weeks ago that Bush was refuting claims that his staff was tired and worn out wasn't it?

When I saw that on the news this morning, the story that followed dealt with Iran's nuclear buildup and heightened rhetoric. Anyone think that the Dubya Administration might be clearing out some staffers who are cautioning against going to war in Iran?

Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goldenstar
Member # 6990

- posted      Profile for Goldenstar           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sopwith:
Has anyone else looked at the sudden change of White House Chief of Staff and his early announcements and wondered what is about to happen? It was just a couple of weeks ago that Bush was refuting claims that his staff was tired and worn out wasn't it?

When I saw that on the news this morning, the story that followed dealt with Iran's nuclear buildup and heightened rhetoric. Anyone think that the Dubya Administration might be clearing out some staffers who are cautioning against going to war in Iran?

Anyone stupid enough to think that Bush would be able to get us to invade Iran after the fiasco still going in Iraq needs to check themselves into a mental institution. Quickly.
Posts: 67 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
Iran would have to do a lot more than some threatening talk in order to get us into a war. Getting into another conflict right now seems incredibly implausable in pretty much any case I can think of short of a direct attack on us or an ally.
Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanecer
Member # 4068

- posted      Profile for Amanecer   Email Amanecer         Edit/Delete Post 
If the Iraq war was going well, I would be concerned. Since it's not, I think there's no way Bush would start something with Iran. There's not enough support.
Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Um. Does he really need that much support? I mean, he doesn't need to hold a referendum, or win an election; if I understand correctly, he just needs to get it through Congress, right? And that's still a Republican majority. And, y'know, it's even possible that a war with Iran could actually be voted on its merits, and if so, you could possibly make a case for it. It's not really fair, but sod fairness; we do not want Iran having nukes. And they are a much more credible threat to do so than Iraq was.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
However, many people inside and outside of Congress, are not likely to believe Bush even if he tells nothing but the truth. He has already either lied or been completely incompetent (depending on your view) about one country's weapons programs/aims....

That's the problem with crying wolf.

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vadon
Member # 4561

- posted      Profile for Vadon           Edit/Delete Post 
http://news.findlaw.com/wp/docs/terrorism/sjres23.es.html

Although it might be tough for him to draw their(Iran's) relation to the 9/11 attacks, he has the power to use military force on them. Without congress' approval. Just say that it is putting US foreign policy at risk (Their president has said many... poor things about Israel.), potential threat to US security, and that it would be fighting terrorism.

Posts: 1831 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
A war against Iran would hardly be a 'police action', though. Surely for such a major commitment, he'd want a formal declaration of war by the Congress?
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanecer
Member # 4068

- posted      Profile for Amanecer   Email Amanecer         Edit/Delete Post 
A formal declaration of war hasn't happened since WWII. Unless we add a new ammendment, I have my doubts that it will ever happen again.
Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

Um, Gulf War I? Afghanistan?
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
kom: Nope, Nope... Vietnam: Nope, Korea: Nope.
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith
Member # 4640

I'm sorry to say it, but I wouldn't put it past the Administration right now. As a lame duck president, he can start it and drop it in whoever's lap that follows him.

But I do believe he might "retire" a few of the warhorses that were a bit gunshy before plunging in. The old "unified front" deal is a big one for Dubya.

Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think we have the manpower to mount an invasion of Iran, given the ongoing Iraq occupation, which already has us drawing on the National Guard.

But that (while steadfastly denying they're considering it) the Bush administration refuses to take the nuclear option off the table is disturbing.

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Do we have the manpower? Sure we do. We pull troops from Europe, Korea and everywhere else they are stationed at the moment that isn't Iraq.

But will it happen? No way. Maybe, just maybe he might consider airstrikes, but that's stupid. Iran would almost immediately go to OPEC for retribution against the US, and likely they'd get a large measure of what they want. US gas prices skyrocket. Republicans will get slammed with so much backlash that a Republican majority in Congress after 2008 will look like a magic fantasyland.

Republicans will NOT support this action. Many of them are already wavering on support for the IRAQ War that they were such big fans of a few years ago. He's a lame duck. Anything he does along the road of a military attack on Iran only hurts the Republicans in the next election, and hurts anyone connected to him. He can kiss his domestic agenda goodbye.

I don't know specifically how the law works on this one, can Congress specifically vote for a military action to NOT be undertaken? They aren't going to support the President, and quite frankly I think they would deny him funding for it, which either forces him to pull it from domestic programs, pull it from Iraq funding, or forces Bush to pull whatever military forces he has in play.

Iran is political suicide for anyone who touches it. Let the Europeans handle it. They're always complaining we're doing too much anyway, I'm more than happy to take a backseat to them on this one.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
We're certainly not invading. A lesser military action that significantly damages their infrastructure, but unlikely, as absent the complete takeover of their country, Iran will have a nuclear weapon at some point, and we'd rather prefer they didn't use it on us. Opportunity attacks to harass their progress are absolutely certain.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

I'm not convinced Europe can actually handle the Iranians, if we're talking about a real invasion to actually put people on the ground and search for nukes. Our armies are structured for small interventions and for defense against the armoured thrust of the Red Army towards Paris; not for projection of power against large nation-states capable of facing us in formal, set-piece battle.

There are troops for large-scale warfare, but no real mechanism for transporting and supplying them, since it was expected that they would be needed in Germany; and there are troops for interventions, but they're intended for small-scale colonial and insurrection warfare, not regime change. Right now, I don't know if we can do it without American support. Ask again in ten years, or twenty, when the EU has its own federal troops.

It's worth remembering that Persia was never a colony, even when Britain owned Arabia and India (including modern Pakistan) and they had a border with the Russians to the north. Now, partly that was balance-of-power issues with neither Britain nor Russia willing to see the other gain Persia; but also, Iran is just a damn difficult place to invade. Like China and Japan, Persia was one of the few non-European powers large enough to defend its interests. I suspect it's still true.

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I'd be willing to let the Navy give the Europeans a lift.

Much as I disagree with the Iraq War, have since the beginning and still do, had the Europeans made an effort to help (minus the British and the paltry offering from other nations), the problem might have been pacified by now. Of course, it would have been pacified anyway if America had gone in with the troop levels necessary from the get go, but Europe certainly could have helped. We went into Iraq in Gulf War I with an international force of half a million people, and even subtracting the Arab League forces from that force, it's still a lot more than we have there now.

Hm. I find it interesting to hear a European, citizen of a continent of people who publicly scorn America and tell us to sit down and shut up a lot of the time, say 'America should handle it.' Either we are the world's police, or we aren't, you can't have it both ways just to suit your own self interests.

Let Europe handle it. It's their turn. I'll support whatever action they want to take to deal with Iran, and will support America's helping them, but though we probably do have the resources to fix this problem in a military sense, the American people aren't going to accept another costly war, especially a much MORE costly one than the one we're still mired in.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

quote:
Either we are the world's police, or we aren't, you can't have it both ways just to suit your own self interests.
Why not? It's not as though you're very bright, never having had to deal with nations far stronger than yourself. You are so easy to manipulate, it's laughable.
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
McClellan just resigned (Press Secretary)
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith
Member # 4640

And Rove has been moved off of the front burners. I think that may be to free him up to work on 2008's election for the Republicans, though.

McClellan's resignation could mean he wasn't looking forward to being the spokesman for something. Or he just wants to work on his golf game...

Sterling
Member # 8096

Bush's press secretaries have to resign every three years or so to file down their noses.
Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
There's bound to be so much going on behind the scenes that most of us don't know about. I don't mean nefarious shenanigans, but, you know, the daily stuff -- ill family members, weird jealousies, whatnot. People are people, even if they are in positions of authority. Who knows what really drove the resignation?

Just thought it interesting. McClellan has seemed a bit more worked up than usual lately in his press conferences.

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Why not? It's not as though you're very bright, never having had to deal with nations far stronger than yourself. You are so easy to manipulate, it's laughable.
The European nations, when they had nations equally powerful as themselves to deal with, that we wanted help from and didn't get, started wars and acted stupid all the time [Smile]
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith
Member # 4640

post removed for snarkiness
Nato
Member # 1448

- posted      Profile for Nato   Email Nato         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
McClellan has seemed a bit more worked up than usual lately in his press conferences.
It's a tough job defending Bush's failed policies. It's tougher still when you have to explain away all the lies you told to defend those policies in the last several years.
quote:
Bush rocked by resignations
White House press secretary Scott McClellan and senior advisor Karl Rove have announced their resignation from the Bush administration.

"I have given it my all, sir," Mr McClellan told George W Bush outside the White House before a group of reporters.

This article appears to have the details of Rove's position change wrong. Another source says what Sopwith said, that he's merely back-burnered to work on politics. I hope that he doesn't encourage the same sorts of dirty tricks he's famous for, but I think that even with Rove's help Republicans are going to have a hard time winning races in November. (Unless the Democrats essentially give it to them by refusing to stand up for the issues that matter to so many Americans.)
Posts: 1592 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JonnyNotSoBravo
Member # 5715

- posted      Profile for JonnyNotSoBravo   Email JonnyNotSoBravo         Edit/Delete Post 
This source claims that Bolten is driving all the changes. There's also a nice comment from Dean and some Republican strategist (though they don't give the strategist's name, which is a bit cheesy, I think).

McClellan got upset before when he was told that the Bush administration had nothing to do with the info leak in 2003, told that to reporters who believed him, and then found out that the Bush administration orchestrated the leak, which vastly decreased his credibility. Surprisingly, he didn't quit then.

Posts: 1423 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Anyone stupid enough to think that Bush would be able to get us to invade Iran after the fiasco still going in Iraq needs to check themselves into a mental institution. Quickly.
That is a pretty rude thing to say. Iran admits it has enriched uranium and it wants to wipe Israel off the map. There is a believable case to be made for striking Iran's nuclear facilities, which would ensure we end up over there--even if you can't fathom the possibility.

However, I think the most likely scenario is that we give Israel consent behind closed doors to strike the nuclear facilities. If Iran responds with an official war, we could easily get sucked in to support our ally. I just can't see Israel letting them continue to enrich uranium when the rhetoric from Iran is to call for Israel's sudden destruction.

Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

The problem is that just striking at the nuclear facilities isn't particularly effective, except as a delaying tactic. This is especially true because Iran has distributed and reinforced their facilities against attack. The appraisals I have seen in foreign policy journals say Israel is unlikely to be capable of disrupting most of the program with conventional weaponry; the general view is that it would be difficult even for the US.

Some disruption will almost certainly be on the table, but any overly large display of force enhances the possibility that Iran will use the bomb(s) it will almost certainly eventually create, even with disruption.

As for invading, there is no plausible scenario. Iran's military forces would be able to put up vastly greater resistance than Iraq's, and we would need to relax our already stretched security commitments around the world.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

Well, I dunno - do you really need those occupying forces in Germany?
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

The only thing they are occupying is a base, and no we don't. I'm all for pulling out the majority of those military forces. Leave the airforce base, you never know when we might need it for something later, and it's nice to have a hub in that part of the world, not to mention the military hospitals there.

quote:
Which is why you get your way with us so often? Heh. Europe is such a non-factor these days, pretending to actually BE important, that your whiney cries for others to do something or not do something are what's laughable.

As for Iran, the last time they got nuclear power close to running, Israel swatted them down without anyone's help. I don't see any indication that they won't do the same thing again.

Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
that was iraq under FAR different circumstances.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

Yeah, a similar strike by Israel would be completely ineffective in stopping (or even delaying much) Iran's nuclear program.

As for our German base, you might read up on what we've launched from there in recent years [Smile] .

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I didn't say close it. But do we need such a large contingent of ground troops there on a constant basis?

And if Israel destroyed their centrifuges, it'd slow them down a lot wouldn't it?

fugu13
Member # 2859

Good luck destroying their centrifuges. They have multiple locations, heavily defended by anti-air and often partially underground, not to mention the technical capability to just plain make more. They might be able to delay Iran a year or two, but that's hardly worth aggravating the situation with the large strikes that would be required to do so.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Heh. Like Israel really cares about what's politically the best idea.

If they think it'll lead to nukes over Tel Aviv, they'll do it.

Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by King of Men:
quote:
Either we are the world's police, or we aren't, you can't have it both ways just to suit your own self interests.
It IS a bit true....

We let him in, didn't we? Not that I blame his country for getting rid of him. [Wink]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

Perhaps you're misunderstanding. The point is that attacking with substantial force only to effect a small delay is more likely to cause Iran to eventually use a nuclear weapon against Israel.

Any delay gained is more than offset by the additional risk, and no real delay is gained because Iran will not strike when they only have one bomb. Then they have nothing with which to threaten countries coming looking for retribution.

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I think Israel's point would be for them to get ZERO nukes. By the time they have enough nukes to feel comfortable making a strike, it's already too late.

Don't forget thet Israel has nukes as well, and I'm sure they have bunker buster bombs that we've either given or sold them. You don't think they could cause enough structural damage to either eliminate or severely hamper Iran's program?

fugu13
Member # 2859

Oh, Israel could use nukes. They'd need to, many of the facilities are placed such that even our largest conventional weapons have little hope of success. And of course, several of the facilities are in civilian areas.

And even given the use of nuclear weapons, its unlikely they could stop the program permanently unless they got lucky and hit most of the nuclear scientists, who are the only nonreplacable resource in the entire thing.

But the use of nuclear weapons on another state would put Israel into a world of hurt. Almost every state would cut off aid and trade (including the US, we'd be legally (and morally, IMO) required to), devastating their economy; the terrorist attacks against them would make the current climate seem like a nice day at the beach; they'd likely be forced to give Iran huge sums of money in reparations and aid to deal with the civilian death toll; they might be forced to significantly redraw their borders in concessions to a Palestinian state (and yes, I do mean forced. When you use nuclear weapons in war under the current legal regimes the mere existence of your state becomes at the pleasure of the major powers); and they'd definitely be forcibly dearmed of nuclear weapons and much of the capability to make more.

Israel isn't going to use nuclear weapons unless there's an imminent threat.

GiantReturns
Member # 9349

- posted      Profile for GiantReturns   Email GiantReturns         Edit/Delete Post 
One thing i want to say is that if any country used WMD's on another country every country in the world would be against that country. No matter what country even the U.S. I think the Iranian President is crazy but i dont believe hes crazy enough to do something as stupid as fire a WMD at Israel. I mean look at North Korea they would like to blow South Korea to dust but they dont because they know what the effects to them will be
Posts: 29 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I wait, and hope, to see starLisa's reply to fugu's post.

I don't think there'd be much of a civilian death toll though. Those facilities aren't near cities. And I'd like to see anyone forcibly make Israel do anything. If you back them into a corner, even after they just nuked the crap out of someone, I don't think they'll meekly accept world decisions on the future of their nation. They'll fight back, and thanks to the US, they have one of the most highly trained and well armed armies in the world to do so with conventionally.

Not that I think it would come to all that. But I AM curious to see what Israel will start doing in the coming months (years) as this situation escalates. They are the one most threatened by a nuclear Iran, not the West. Yet at the moment most of the clamor is from the EU and America.

fugu13
Member # 2859

Some of the most important facilities are in a city of over two million people, Isfahan. Other facilities are in places with "only" a few tens of thousands of people in close proximity.
fugu13
Member # 2859

You're right, some of the sanctions they might resist. However, to resist those sanctions would mean no end in sight for the no-aid and no-trade restrictions, crippling the Israeli economy, and in the slightly longer run their military.
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Am I correct in thinking that Israel hasn't foresworn assination as a political tool? If so (and probably even if it has), I wouldn't be at all surprised if Mossad had plans in place to kill key Iranian engineers and scientists.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

That's definitely a possibility. The main risk is, if they don't get enough of them, they've again increased the chance an eventual nuclear weapon will be used against them. I suspect Iran has a strong training program in place, and has hundreds of fairly qualified nuclear engineers.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

That wouldn't surprise me either. Both Israel's attempt at assasination, and that Iran probably has dozens if not hundred of nuclear scientists waiting in the wings with the knowledge to duplicate whatever the scientists who were killed were working on.

I'm not saying Israel taking any sort of unilateral action, be it an airstrike, nuclear weapon or assasination is a good idea. On the contrary, I think it will only lead to massive hardship for them in the end. However, Israel doesn't leave it's safety in the hands of others, and when it feels others are not doing enough it takes matters into its own hands. If they feel sufficiently threatened, they won't wait for the US or the EU to act, they'll go it alone. It's part of the Israeli siege mentality.

fugu13
Member # 2859

I suspect Israel will take a longer-term view, waiting out the occupation of Iraq then quietly pushing to effect regime change in Iran, likely eventually involving a large air campaign by the US, economic instruments, and the protection of opposition groups.
Sterling
Member # 8096

Withdrawing troops from the U.S.' international bases isn't something that can be done quickly, quietly, or without significant resentment both from the nations that house those bases and the soldiers themselves. An invasion based on those forces, even if authorized, would likely be catastrophic and largely unsuccessful.
GiantReturns
Member # 9349

- posted      Profile for GiantReturns   Email GiantReturns         Edit/Delete Post 
If Iran was going to use a WMD on Israel my guess is they would use it once U.S troops in Iraq and Afganistan were sent home. Israel can hold its own because they are so far ahead of all the middle east countries technologically.
Posts: 29 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Don't count out Saudi Arabia. They have an American armed and trained army AND air force.

They still aren't as good as the Israelis or the Americans, but it wouldn't be the type of pushover slaughter the last time Israeli tanks met Arab tanks on a battle field. Neither side is playing with Russian toys from the cold war.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.