FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Darned ActiveX settings...

Author Topic: Darned ActiveX settings...
Marlozhan
Member # 2422

- posted      Profile for Marlozhan   Email Marlozhan         Edit/Delete Post 
About a day ago I got a bunch of spyware on accident, and I have been getting rid of it ever since. I have successfully removed all of it, except for one that spybot keeps showing as SpywareQuake.

I have also run adaware, xoftspy, hikackthis, killbox, and lockcopy many times. I have told each program to run before windows boots, too, but the wininet.dll file (associated with Spywarequake), is always in use and can't be deleted, even before startup or in safe mode.

Since I first got spyware, I have had this annoying ActiveX error that pops up every 5-10 minutes, no matter what I'm doing. Whether I am playing a video game, on the internet, exploring windows, or just staring at my desktop, the error still pops up. I just have to hit OK and it leaves me alone for another 5-10 minutes, but it's annoying. I also have cable internet, just fyi.

The ActiveX error says:

"Your current security settings prohibit running ActiveX controls on this page. As a result, the page may not display correctly."

I have changed activex controls from low to high, and also used default, to no avail. The only thing I haven't tried is enabling all activex controls that are currently disabled, but I am hesitant to make my computer more vulnerable in that way.

Any bright ideas, or am I doomed to listen to this error for all eternity?

Posts: 684 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
There are a few good force delete programs out there. Most of them cost money but have a free trial period. This thread has some good suggestions on how to kill the file. It also links to some programs.

How comfy are with manual edits in the registry? What version of windows and IE are you using? Are you up to date on security patches?

If you have XP, a very good security tip (once this is resolved and you switch to another Internet program like Fire Fox or Opera) is to create one administrator account that is password protected. Only use that account for installing programs and updating your antivirus. Make your everyday account a limited account. Nasty programs will not have permission/access to make changes to your computer.

EDIT: spelling

Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm..the link I gave you does not show the responses. It did when I looked it up using "force delete" in google. You may need to use google to find a good force delete program. You may even be able to see the rest of the thread I linked.
Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
unicornwhisperer
Member # 294

- posted      Profile for unicornwhisperer   Email unicornwhisperer         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh! I forgot you were home today, Marlozahn. [Kiss] Any luck with your homework? [Wink]
Posts: 1417 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marlozhan
Member # 2422

Force delete says it can't delete the file, either.

I have just downloaded IE 7 and installed it. We will see if this gets rid of the error.

The other problem I have been having, since the spyware, is that I can no longer install updates through windows update. After I download a file, it starts installing, then says the installation failed. I have tried a few fixes on microsoft.com, but to no avail.

...And as I was typing this, the activex error popped up again. [Mad]

Posts: 684 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marlozhan
Member # 2422

So, I finally got rid of the wininet.dll file and replaced it with the correct one. My system now shows no spyware. However, I still can't install any files downloaded from windowsupdate, and I still get that activex warning. I don't know what caused these problems or how to fix them.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.