FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Pandora and the Music Genome Project

Author Topic: Pandora and the Music Genome Project
Fitz
Member # 4803

- posted      Profile for Fitz   Email Fitz         Edit/Delete Post 
A friend of mine just pointed me to a nifty little site, which is somewhat similar to such things as Yahoo's Launchcast radio and whatnot. People who enjoyed and signed up for Audioscrobbler back when it was advertised here will probably enjoy Pandora as well. I guess the difference between this and other sites is this just seems more simple and easy to get into, and you're not subjected to a continual barrage of advertisements and eyesore web design.

Basically you just start off by entering an artist or a song that you really like, and the site returns a variety of songs of a similar nature. You can specifiy what you're looking for by telling Pandora whether you like or dislike the song it suggested.

I started off with a somewhat obscure Canadian artist, and though the songs that were returned weren't really my cup of tea, I chalked that up to the fact that he was fairly unknown.

Next I tried Van Morrison, and greatly enjoyed a couple of hours of music. Early on, one or two songs came up that I didn't really like, but as I progressed the duds were fewer and far between. There were some songs that I knew well, but I've already discovered a few new artists whose albums I plan to buy. You can create up to 100 stations (after signing up) and switch between them at will. You'll be asked to sign up after about 20 songs, by which time I'm sure you'll decide if it's worth the trouble. Signup is free and easy. They say you need to be a US citizen to sign up, but come on, that's easy enough to get around. [Wink]

If you're looking for some new music, this site is ideal. I hope you do yourselves a favor and check it out.

www.pandora.com

Posts: 1855 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
There was a rather large discussion about this a few months back... I don't want to bother with the link-sorry.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
After being really impressed with it the first day, I quickly tired of it -- it kept playing the same songs too frequently.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fitz
Member # 4803

- posted      Profile for Fitz   Email Fitz         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, a cursory search didn't bring up much about it, so I figured a thread couldn't really hurt. Besides, there are always a few people who miss things the first time around. Case in point.

I haven't seen any repetition yet, though admittedly I've only been using it for a few hours. I figure I can just switch between artists of different genres to avoid that.

Posts: 1855 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
On my not-too-speedy internet connection, I think streaming music is Satanic. Plus it just doesn't have music that I like.
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.