FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Games to play with daughter on lap

Author Topic: Games to play with daughter on lap
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
My almost-three daughter watches videos on my computer. Does anyone have suggestions for computer games I can play while she does so? They need to be

a) Playable entirely, or almost so, with mouse (my left arm is around my daughter)

b) Playable in a window, and preferably not a very large one (so another window can show her video), and

c) Not be disturbing or violent, at least beyond an abstract or cartoon level.

I've been playing Lux (Risk) and solitaire, but it gets old.

(I'm using Windows XP. Thanks anyway, Mac people.)

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Try www.popcap.com.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boon
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
also pogo.com
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ben
Member # 6117

- posted      Profile for Ben   Email Ben         Edit/Delete Post 
Doom
Posts: 1572 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elmer's Glue
Member # 9313

- posted      Profile for Elmer's Glue   Email Elmer's Glue         Edit/Delete Post 
MineSweeper!
Posts: 1287 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Mike   Email Mike         Edit/Delete Post 
Silly Ben.

-----

Snood, for rillz.

Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Knights of the Old Republic can be played almost entirely with the mouse.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
Web sudoku can be played with just the right hand and a quick toggle of the num lock.
Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

Nearly forgot about Popcap. Been a while. Thanks, Tom.

I love KOTOR dearly, but I wouldn't play it in front of my daughter. Too many humans and human-like people killed, not to mention scenes of torture. Bloodless, but still.

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
get a second moniter and play any game by Paradox Interactive in the other.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xxsockeh
Member # 9186

- posted      Profile for xxsockeh   Email xxsockeh         Edit/Delete Post 
Um, you could look for some games with google. Myself, I enjoy looking up some old-school games once in a while...pong only uses the mouse. It's fun. Pac-man is fun too...just the arrow keys. [Smile] Hope this helps some.
Posts: 63 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SoaPiNuReYe
Member # 9144

- posted      Profile for SoaPiNuReYe           Edit/Delete Post 
try addictinggames.com
it's got some violent games but its in list form so you can choose which games you want to play and exclude the ones you don't. It should keep you occupied for awhile.

Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
andi330
Member # 8572

- posted      Profile for andi330           Edit/Delete Post 
The entire Myst series can be played almost entirely with the mouse, and can be found relatively cheaply. They're point and click puzzle games, but I like the story lines and the graphics are awesome.
Posts: 1214 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
Sterling, have you spoken with your pediatrician about your daughter watching videos on your computer? Ours has told us to keep Aerin away from the computer screen until 4 and nothing on the t.v. until age 2. It may just be because Aerin's a preemie, but you might want to check.
Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
When my son was that age, I played with him. And you know what, it was fun and memorable. Maybe you can find fun stuff to do together. Those giant Legos (Duplos) and wooden blocks are fun. We also told stories to each other, and I taught him to read at that age, writing little books for him to read to me (he was in charge of the illustrations).

You can take her into the kitchen and cook stuff together, too. Then she can help you wash up the bowls and wipe down the kitchen.

It sounds like you want to play parallel to her playing, minimizing any interactive play. I remember almost-three as being a fun time. I don't mean to sound preachy, it's just that what you are asking is foreign to my child-rearing experience.

Then again, I am old.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celaeno
Member # 8562

- posted      Profile for Celaeno   Email Celaeno         Edit/Delete Post 
I will ditto Minesweeper. I've been obsessed.
Posts: 866 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

quote:
Originally posted by Tante Shvester:
When my son was that age, I played with him. And you know what, it was fun and memorable. Maybe you can find fun stuff to do together. Those giant Legos (Duplos) and wooden blocks are fun. We also told stories to each other, and I taught him to read at that age, writing little books for him to read to me (he was in charge of the illustrations).

You can take her into the kitchen and cook stuff together, too. Then she can help you wash up the bowls and wipe down the kitchen.

It sounds like you want to play parallel to her playing, minimizing any interactive play. I remember almost-three as being a fun time. I don't mean to sound preachy, it's just that what you are asking is foreign to my child-rearing experience.

Then again, I am old.

Yeah, I was a little concerned this topic might come off that way. Rest assured that my daughter spends lots of time dancing, singing, and playing outside, including with her parents. She's a little too much into the "I want to do this myself" thing to build blocks with her, but she does love having us draw and read to her.

But she also enjoys watching Sesame Street, Veggie Tales, and Baby Einstein, and during those still times I occasionally want to engage my brain on something a little more challenging. It's often the only time of day, aside from her nap, that I get to be *still*.

In short: This is addendum to the "good stuff", not how we spend the majority of our day. I understand and appreciate your concern.

quote:
Originally posted by Mrs.M:
Sterling, have you spoken with your pediatrician about your daughter watching videos on your computer? Ours has told us to keep Aerin away from the computer screen until 4 and nothing on the t.v. until age 2. It may just be because Aerin's a preemie, but you might want to check.

My daughter is nearly three. I tend to assume that watching videos on our computer is much equivalent to watching television; better, perhaps, since we directly control her input and there's less chance of her inadvertently seeing something we might not want.

Her parents both spend a fair amount of time on the computer. I suspect controlling her interest and access is going to be much easier than preventing it all together.

And I should clarify: she doesn't watch television at all. Neither do her parents. And it's an LCD screen, so in addition, there's zero radiation.

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Cool, then. And as I said, I AM old. Why, when I was a kid, we didn't HAVE videos! Computers were mainly seen in the movies as great big things with lots of flashing lights and those weird reel-to-reel tape things where the reels never seemed to be turning in sync with each other. Touch-tone phones were like science fiction, and when you called up a business, a person answered the phone because there were no buttons to press. Our mothers used to tell us to go outside and play in the sun, because we still had an ozone layer to protect us, and the sun wasn't dangerous like it is nowadays. And we could "explore" in the woods without having to worry about getting Lyme disease. There WAS no Lyme disease!

[/geezer]

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
The recommendation I heard is no or very, very limited screen time until 2, and then limit screen time (screen time means anything on the computer, tv, or whatever) to 1 hour a day or less (preferably less.)

Do I always stick strictly to this? No. Do I try? Often.

An almost-three-year-old who watches an hour or so of videos on the computer some days doesn't seem like much of an issue to me, as long as it isn't for the parents. [Smile]

(The issue, btw, has nothing to do with radiation, but is about brain development.)

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

Thank you for the insight, ketchupqueen, and welcome back.

[Smile]

Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, radiation never entered my mind (Aerin has had dozens of x-rays, so I don't worry about screens). I was thinking about her eyes (should have been more clear). Again, I don't know if what our pediatrician tells us is applicable to healthy term children, but we were told that looking at a computer screen isn't good for Aerin's eyes. Andrew does hold Aerin while he's at the computer, but he holds her so that she can't see the screen (most of the time). I'm very paranoid about Aerin's eyesight since she was diagnosed with Stage 1 ROP (retinopathy of prematurity) at 32 weeks. It resolved itself, but OCD Mom can't stop worrying.
Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
Try This flash games site

G-rated games, all pretty fun. Specially, miniputt, curveball and trampoline!

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
Try Orisinal: http://www.ferryhalim.com/orisinal/

These flash games are all very simple, and super cute. Your daughter might want to play instead of watching her videos though [Wink]

Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celaeno
Member # 8562

- posted      Profile for Celaeno   Email Celaeno         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh! I'd forgotten about those. Thanks, MC. My favorite used to be the bees in bubbles one.
Posts: 866 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.