FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » What's the deal with extra people in hotels?

Author Topic: What's the deal with extra people in hotels?
Zeugma
Member # 6636

- posted      Profile for Zeugma   Email Zeugma         Edit/Delete Post 
A whole bunch of my classmates and I are thinking about traveling for a big conference in a couple of months. Hotels are really expensive, and we'd want to go as cheap as possible. I'm wondering, what's the deal with packing a bunch of people in a room, with some sleeping on the floor? If you book a room for two people, and six end up sleeping there, will you get thrown out of the building if they find out? Or is this a common thing, like sneaking a bottle of soda into a movie theater? I feel kind of silly for not knowing, seems like this is sort of obvious, but I haven't really booked many hotels before. [Razz]
Posts: 1681 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Swampjedi
Member # 7374

- posted      Profile for Swampjedi   Email Swampjedi         Edit/Delete Post 
Fire code?

Then there's always "profit maximization."

Posts: 1069 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
It's been my experience that hotels charge you extra per person beyond a set number (say, 4). I usually just don't tell them and, as long as you're not making a commotion it's pretty tough for them to find out. Just don't all go up to register together and ask for 8 keys after telling the clerk only 3 of you are in the room.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
I work at a Hilton and we don't really keep track of that kind of thing. It only becomes a problem if you are making to much noise, or otherwise drawing negative attention to yourselves. I would also recommend not laying out your sleeping bags, and maybe having some of the people out of the room, when the housekeeper comes by.

It is also fairly common to have the option of getting a room with two double or queen sized beds. Those rooms are designed to have 4 people in them, so making it six wouldn't be that much of a jump.

Or maybe a suite. It typically isn't that much more expensive if you book a parlor room (the non bedroom part of a suite)on top of your hotel room.

If you're coming to Houston I can hook you up with a friends and family rate and maybe an upgrade. I suppose that goes out to everyone.

Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zeugma
Member # 6636

Awesome, guys, thanks. That was my impression, but if I'm going to be organizing this thing, I want to be careful. [Smile] Right now it's looking like we'll just book for two, and maybe have four, and just not be jerks to our neighbors. [Smile]

And no, not Houston, this'll be Baaahston. Thanks though! [Smile]

Posts: 1681 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
Zeugma, the New England clump (at least me) could possibly hang out at some point. Let us know when you'll be in town. I save you from going to "Cheers".

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zeugma
Member # 6636

Cool Bok, we'll see! I went to this same conference in LA last year, and the only time I had to myself was between 3am and 7am, but we'll see!

Is it totally unreasonable to want to go to a Red Sox game with ten or fifteen people that week, or are cheap tickets possible to come by?

Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
I would just call the hotel first, many have rooms suitable for 6 people, for not much more. Two double beds, and a sleep sofa should be more then adequate. If they say no when you call the first time, call back another time and then book for 2 or 4.
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Is it totally unreasonable to want to go to a Red Sox game with ten or fifteen people that week
Yes. Fenway is SMALL, and Red Socks games sell out for the season fairly often, particularily since they remembered how to play baseball a few years ago. [Wink]
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
They always knew how to play baseball, just not when it counted. And they have always sold out, but that doesn't mean someone won't sell you tickets.

It woild be tough to get tickets for a game between 3 and 7 AM, though.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

My son just said, "Since 2001 they've sold out."
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
They have. I bet you could get some "standing room only" tickets. Though, those...suck.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Oh, come on, Mack, you big wimp! Baseball games only last four hours or so...

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.