FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Crash

Author Topic: Crash
Numinor West
Member # 9375

- posted      Profile for Numinor West   Email Numinor West         Edit/Delete Post 
Last night, I watched the movie that won best picture for 2005: Crash. Did OSC review this one? If so, I can't find it in his library.

I was sure he did because not only has OSC reviewed all of my favorite movies, but Crash is mostly about personal responsibility and how that affects community. I would not let my 15 year old son watch it due to a sex scene and profuse profanity. But overall my wife and I were able to tune out the offensive and enjoy the movie. So much happens in Crash that I think I'll watch it again. We talked about it the rest of the night and I still can't stop thinking about it.

This is the most honest, unafraid movie regarding race relations I have ever seen. Come to think of it, maybe its the only movie on race relations I have ever seen, but I know honesty when I see it. I'm on the verge of tears as I sit here and think back on the characters and what they experienced.

Posts: 90 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
I tried to watch this movie just so I wouldn't miss the subversive piece of genius it was supposed to be.

I didnt' make it through. I guess I'm overly sensitive, but I couldn't stand the negative feeling throughout. It was the kind of movie that made me think someone was going to die any minute and I just didn't like it. I'm a wimp. I turned it off, stuck my fingers in my ears and sang "la la la la" while running away, Monty Python style. (I know how everything turns out because I made my friend tell me. I thought knowing who gets hurt or dies would help me finish the movie. No such luck. Still couldn't do it.)

I'm glad it's had a good effect on some people though. I suppose that's a good thing.

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I really enjoyed Crash. The acting was great, the story was interesting and twisty and not boring, and it was beautifully done. I liked it.

However, the one part (yes, that part) just about killed me to watch. There was way too much tension - I think I turned the sound off so I could get through it.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Numinor West
Member # 9375

- posted      Profile for Numinor West   Email Numinor West         Edit/Delete Post 
Luckily, I went into this knowing very little about it. I knew it was about race and that it beat out Brokeback, but that's it.

Some of the best movies I've ever seen were ones that I had no prior knowledge and therefore no expectations: Die Hard, Matrix, Galaxy Quest, Crash.

Posts: 90 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Yes. I know that some people (holy Annie Proulix) thought that Brokeback was robbed, but I think it was a decent race. Either could have won and I could see the point. Neither were perfect movies (Brokeback dragged in the middle), but both were great. I'm happy that awards were distributed evenly.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by katharina:

However, the one part (yes, that part) just about killed me to watch. There was way too much tension - I think I turned the sound off so I could get through it.

If you're talking about the part I think you're talking about, I nearly cried then. I rarely, if ever cry at movies (okay, I've cried at two, ever, and neither were really cry worthy, I must've been on my guy period or something), but that was the most emotionally heart wrenching thing I'd seen in a long time, and it was done so well, and set up so perfectly, you could do nothing but watch it horror.

As for the robbing, I think Crash had Brokeback totally outclassed. The novelty factor of Brokeback is what got it so much attention. If one of the cowboys had been a cowgirl and it had been a straight affair type thing, it wouldn't have even been on the radar I'm guessing. All told, still a good movie, had some good stuff in it, but not Crash's equal.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't see Brokeback. Nothing about it interested me. I'm not a fan of the actors, and the subject... well, cowboys aren't my thing.

(One of the cool things about being gay is that no one can call me a 'phobe for avoiding this movie.)

Crash... I saw it purely because of the cast. I admit it; I'm shallow. But... wow! I thought it was amazing. Definitely not a feel-good movie, and I generally prefer feel-good movies. There's enough darkness in the real world, I figure. Why would I watch a movie to get more of that? But it made me think, and that's something very few movies do.

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
The novelty factor of Brokeback is what got it so much attention. If one of the cowboys had been a cowgirl and it had been a straight affair type thing, it wouldn't have even been on the radar I'm guessing. All told, still a good movie, had some good stuff in it, but not Crash's equal.

I always laugh when I hear this. It's probably true, but then again, if Sidney Poitier's character in Guess Who's Coming To Dinner had been white, it also probably wouldn't have been on the radar.

And it's true. They did a remake, with the races switched, and it was boring and dumb. And maybe in another 20-30 years, a romantic movie with two people who are the same sex will be equally boring. But we're not there yet.

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Will & Grace is basically the romantic comedy you're talking about, and that hasn't really been controversial since it's first season or two.

But I guess it's different with movies. Though I don't know why.

What was wrong with Guess Who? The only thing I remember from that movie is laughing at Ashton Kutcher's Bernie Mac impression, that was hysterical.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

Movies are epic. Sitcoms are little. And even with Will & Grace, you never have two main characters who are gay and in a relationship with one another. It's not Will & Jack, is what I'm saying (pardon the nasty mental image there).

When you think about the fact that Guess Who's Coming to Dinner addressed a serious social issue, and Guess Who was just a lowbrow comedy... I don't know. Had it not been a remake of a movie that meant something, I probably wouldn't care about it one way or the other.

Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
I picked up a pre-viewed copy of Crash for cheap after it won out of curiosity. Such a great movie. I can see how it could be life-changing for people.

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
I tend to agree with the criticism that Brokeback Mountain was good because of its purpose, not its execution. The movie was almost painfully slow in the middle and tended to float without any real focus. But I guess that's what happens when someone tries to stretch such a short story for 2 hours. The acting was amazing and I loved the evolution of the romance and its "resolution" but I found myself apathetic to the mens' lives away from one another.

Crash held me for every minute. It certainly had its own message, but I think it presented the complicated issue of racism very creatively and with artful drama. I can't remember any other movie that impacted me as greatly as Crash did.

Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
I really enjoyed Crash, but iut was hard to watch. I'm actually having trouble picking an "I could only watch in horror" scene, because there were at least three. I'm guessing you mean the one with the wee girl, but the stand off with the cops and the TV producer after he almost gets car jacked and the getting Thandie out of the car scene also fit.

Haven't seen Brokeback yet, believe it or not. I hope that doesn't cause me to lose any of my pervy street cred. [Wink] It's in my queue! I swear!

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
I want to know these parts you are talking about. I want to see this movie but I enjoy movies and books a lot more if I know what's going to happen. Also, if it's hard to watch then I can be ready for it. Will someone please spoiler me about Crash?
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked Guess Who...

Crash made me ACHE in parts. I was crindging in horror going, noooooooo. I don't want any of these characters to die!

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanecer
Member # 4068

- posted      Profile for Amanecer   Email Amanecer         Edit/Delete Post 
I have mixed feelings towards Crash. The scene that keeps being referenced was just too painful to watch. And even though I was beyond relieved by what happened, it somehow felt like a bit of cheat to me.
Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

What was the scene? Can't someone please spoiler it for me?
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Numinor West
Member # 9375

Tatiana, you can't be serious...

Do you really enjoy movies better when you know all of the plot elements in advance?

Tatiana
Member # 6776

I do! I'm very serious!
TL
Member # 8124

- posted      Profile for TL   Email TL         Edit/Delete Post 
NO! Somebody has to step in and be the voice of reason here.

You can't *possibly* be told about this scene.

Nobody do it!

Posts: 2267 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
There were two... no three scenes that alarmed me.
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puppy
Member # 6721

- posted      Profile for Puppy   Email Puppy         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And even though I was beyond relieved by what happened, it somehow felt like a bit of cheat to me.
Not to me. They totally justified it and set it up during the gun-buying scene. But there is so much time between the two scenes that you forget the justification until after the scary scene plays out. Really well-done in my opinion.

And it was cool to see Paul Haggis win stuff. I loved Due South! [Smile]

Posts: 1539 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

Why can't I be told about this scene?
Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
CRASH SPOILERS
Crash is probably one of three movies that have truly affected me emotionally. The two most dramatic moments for me have to be the woman trapped in the car and the little girl with her "impenetrable cape", mostly because I saw them coming and spent--well, with the latter, about half an hour--going "Oh God, that can't happen that can't happen that can't happen." On the one hand, I'd feel emotionally manipulated, except that my emotional responses were because it was well-executed and felt very true. Even in hindsight, Crash is very powerful and very true to its story and characters.

Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Why can't I be told about this scene?
Because this:

quote:
I want to see this movie but I enjoy movies and books a lot more if I know what's going to happen. Also, if it's hard to watch then I can be ready for it.
Sounds like a bunch of hooey. If you want to know what we are talking about, go out and rent the movie yourself.
Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

Why hooey? I'm planning to see the movie but I want to know what happens beforehand so I can be ready for it. Why doesn't anyone want to tell? Is it that bad?

"the woman trapped in the car and the little girl with her "impenetrable cape"" doesn't tell me much. Can someone please elaborate?

fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
You don't want to have heard about this scene in advance, it will destroy the movie. Though you can figure it out in a way that won't destroy the movie just by watching it and paying close attention.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Tatiana: www.themoviespoiler.com
the_Somalian
Member # 6688

- posted      Profile for the_Somalian   Email the_Somalian         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by starLisa:
Movies are epic. Sitcoms are little. And even with Will & Grace, you never have two main characters who are gay and in a relationship with one another. It's not Will & Jack, is what I'm saying (pardon the nasty mental image there).

When you think about the fact that Guess Who's Coming to Dinner addressed a serious social issue, and Guess Who was just a lowbrow comedy... I don't know. Had it not been a remake of a movie that meant something, I probably wouldn't care about it one way or the other.

Plus the fact that they felt compelled to switch the races around is pretty troubling.
Posts: 722 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

Thanks for that Irami. [Roll Eyes] I should use 'sounds like a bunch of hooey' as a response to anyone who voices a personal opinion that I find hard to believe or understand.

Anyway, I totally get you Tatiana. Like I said before, I couldn't watch the rest of the movie. When I was trying to make it through in spurts, I made my friend tell me exactly everything that happened so I would be prepared. You might be like me, I can't stand the surprise. I can deal with it better once I know about it. There have been several movies where I needed to know if something happened before I could finish the movie, just because I don't like the shock.

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Numinor West
Member # 9375

Narnia: What is your personal preference regarding roller coasters?

I'm asking because I find this behavior to be totally unexpected. Not wrong, just outside my realm of experience. Its pretty cool. I can't help but try and imagine a culture that would arise controlled by the anti-surprise elite class. Like on an alien planet, what institutions would be the norm and what behaviors would be banned? Imagine if everything was geared towards avoiding the possibility of the slightest surprise. Would the wheel have been invented? Time to close the door and think about this for awhile. Hmmmm..

Narnia
Member # 1071

quote:
I can't help but try and imagine a culture that would arise controlled by the anti-surprise elite class.
You are silly. [Razz] And I LOVE roller coasters.
Tatiana
Member # 6776

I also love roller coasters. But I like them even better the second and third and fourth time around. [Wink]

Thanks, Katie! I read the spoilers. Now I can watch and enjoy it.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.