FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » NFL Draft Discussion

Author Topic: NFL Draft Discussion
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
I am so incredibly excited for the first round of today's draft. To be more accurate, picks 2-10. Where will Reggie Bush actually wind up? And here we all thought he was a lock for Houston...

Wow. Just... wow.

More thoughts to follow (like when the draft actually happens...), and I hope you add yours. [Smile]

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, Reggie Bush NOT going to the Texans has messed up my predictions...

Imagine what it has done to a lot of teams draft boards today. There will be some serious efforts to trade for New Orleans' pick, and not to get Young or Leinart.

Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
Holy Crap!

I go to sleep for 4 hours and this breaks!

Just last night I was saying there was no way they'd take Williams; that they were just using him to leverage Bush into taking a smaller deal. I guess Bush's people wanted the money more than the pick.

I really wanted the Saints to trade down to 4 or 7 and take Ferguson or Hawk, but now I'm not sure. Can they possibly pass on Bush? I wouldn't, I don't think. I think they stay and take him.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
they'd have to... they could really use him...

wow... got up just a little too late today...

Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Coming off of a final college game in which he was even by the kindest review only the third best running back, when Bush announced his early withdrawal from USC, I was pretty surprised that folks were talking about him being the No.1 draft pick:
1) His performance at the RoseBowl pretty much showed that he was a kid who wouldn't resist showing off even if it could cost his team the NationalChampionship.
2) When a man messes up, he attempts to make up for his error, period. Even though it might cost him some. Especially when it might cost him some. Bailing from USC to the "better opportunity" of the NFL draft after his loss again demonstrated that he still thinks like a kid.
3) Apparently, some USCfootball fanatic or sports agent or bookie or similar miscreant has been paying for the mortgage on his parents' house. Whether Bush knew or not [Dont Know] but his parents' acceptance of that money still makes him look like he might be a kid: someone who thinks rules are made for others to follow.

Football is even more of a team sport than basketball.
And professional teams can't afford kids who will choose personal glory over the team win. Can't afford kids who bail when things aren't going their way. Can't afford kids who think that breaking the rules is clever as long as ya don't get punished, or presume that they won't be punished because "I'm too valuable."

A first-round draft choice ties up a huge chunk of the team payroll for a long period of time. A high first-round draft choice ties up a HUGE chunk of the team's finances for a long time. When most of that money is pledged without regard to either personal or team performance, a willingness to sacrifice the self to the team, a professional work ethic, and strong personal character are must-haves that should trump over raw talent.
NFL history is littered with first-round draft picks who had tons of raw talent yet couldn't make it in the League. And first-round draft picks who racked up great personal stats yet couldn't push their teams into becoming real contenders for the throne. As well as great talents whose personal behaviour distracted from their team's focus on winning the championship.

When having the right attitude counts for so much in creating a winning team, I wouldn't risk a first-round draft choice on Bush unless I were pretty certain I could trade him for a seasoned pro that I desperately wanted. And I certainly wouldn't risk a first-round contract on him.
If he remained available in the second-round, then signing a contract with Bush would be a reasonable risk instead of a BIG gamble.

[ April 29, 2006, 02:03 PM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Coming off of a final college game in which he was even by the kindest review only the third best running back
Huh? If you watched the game or can read it's obvious that this is a flat out made up statement. He was the 2nd best player on the field that night, behind Vince Young. Any guy who makes a bonehead play trying to make something happen for his team is okay by me; he'll grow out of that. In fact, he probably already has.

I've seen no one with any experience or credibility name the reasons you named as reasons not to draft Bush. I'm not saying he's a homerun, he could be a big bust. But not for any of the reasons you named.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

No, LendaleWhite was clearly more dependable and more productive on the RoseBowl field than ReggieBush.
Admittedly, Bush made a flashier touchdown. But teams win on more, not on flashier.

Like I said: when a man makes a bonehead mistake, he automaticly compensates for that error. It ain't even a decision. Bush showed that his instincts don't run that way. And like I said: NFL history is littered with coaches&executives who assumed that raw talent kids would "grow out of it", and were mistaken.

If Bush had gone on to finish his schooling at USC and kept somewhat near the same stats -- even if USC didn't do as well next season -- I would view that maturity as a good edge over other players in the first-round next year. He'd have made up for any doubts that I currently have.
As it is, he's a "second-round maybe" to me. With a high first-round choice only if I could trade him for an experienced player that I really wanted. Or if I had traded previously for several first-round picks this year, he might be the last of my first-round choices.

I'm not saying the way I think is the way NFL coaches&executives think. But then my team would always play for the win instead of play to keep the opponent from winning. And we've all seen how helpful the Run-Down-the-Clock-Offense and the PreventDefense is, to the other team.
Plus I am not a coach/executive or a reporter/columnist who might have to deal with ReggieBush later. So I don't hafta censor myself because of a future in which he might very well become an NFL superstar. Thus I can be extremely candid with my assessment in a way which might cost an NFL team a LOT to make up for in that hypothetical future, or cause a sports-news organization to lose interviews with an extremely popular athlete.

[ April 29, 2006, 01:47 PM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

too late now... [Smile]

Brees, Bush, and Horn... the new Triplets?

Now do the Titans take Young, Leinart or Cutler?

edit: it's Young

Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

Mario Williams to the Texans (defensive end)
Reggie Bush to the Saints (running back. Given NewOrleans finances/players/past, looks more like a "wanna trade?" to me)
Vince Young to the Titans (quarterback. Given what happens to running quarterbacks in the NFL, ?shifted to running back?)
D'Brickashaw Ferguson to the Jets (offensive tackle)
A.J. Hawk to the Packers (linebacker)

Vernon Davis to the 49ers (tight end)
Michael Huff to the Raiders (safety)
Donte Whitner to the Bills (safety)
Ernie Sims to the Lions (linebacker)
Matt Leinart to the Cardinals (quarterback)

Jay Cutler to the Broncos (quarterback. Anybody know about him? The Broncos must have really wanted him to be unwilling to risk waiting, trading their 15th and 68th to make sure they got him.)

Jim-Me
Member # 6426

some are saying Cutler was the best quarterback in the draft.... he had the best arm and mechanics by unanimous decree.

I like my boys' pick of Carpenter... big, fast, solid OLB to go opposite Ware.

LenDale White is really slipping... how cool would it be if he makes it to 17 in round 2? (I doubt he will... look for a NT or OL for the Cowboys in round 2).

aspectre
Member # 2222

Carpenter did look like the best choice for the Cowboy's most-needed-for-the-future position out of those who were left.
The NFL Draft picks.
LenDale White to the Titans...again. Looks like they're planning for a SuperBowl ring.
Slid to 13th in the 2nd-round. Seems like somebody's mistake in the late1st&early2nd-rounds.
I'd be so tempted to screw with the other NFL teams' heads:
McNair as quarterback with Young as running back sometimes-converting-in-play to quarterback;
and White has the size&strength&instinct for running back, quarterback protection, and opening holes for Young's runs.
Then again, the Titan's have locked McNair out of training. Personally, I wouldn't put this year's draftee immediately into the quarterback slot, and instead use McNair to give Young some time to gain experience about the NFL difference.
On the third hand, there's a $23million hold on the Titan's salary cap if McNair should play.

[ April 29, 2006, 09:05 PM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a pretty big fan of the Packers' moves today. I definitely like the addition of Hawk, and the shoring up of the offensive line was long overdue (though moreso for Houston, really). Dealing Javon Walker was probably for the best for everyone: I'm a proponent of the idea that if you don't want to be here, we don't want you here.

I was also surprised to see that the 49ers took Brandon Williams (out of Wisconsin) in the third round. I was not expecting any UW receiver to go so high, so congratulations to him!

Draft days only make me want to be a footbal analyst for the rest of my life - to heck with this Classics thing!

Was I hearing correctly about McNair going to the Ravens? Or was I just sleep-deprived?

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

There was a lot of speculation on the dallas talk shows (I was listening over the net) that McNair was, indeed, going to the Ravens.

The part that has my eyebrow raised is that, apparently, Dallas is planning on using two tight ends, no fullback as their primary set.

hmmmm...

Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I'm happy with the Panther's picks so far, although the CB in the second round was a bit of a surprise. He does have return skills, though, and that's a need we have for kick-offs.

I still think Arizona got the plum it needed in Leinart, and New Orleans really got a surprise. Let's see how Bush stacks up against playing the Panthers and Tampa rush defenses twice a year (of course two games against Atlanta will be nice for his stats).

Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

I'm not looking forward to playing the panthers again now that they have a VERY solid one-two punch at receiver.

That should be a tough division and I think Carolina is gonna be on top of it, as well.

El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

quote:
No, LendaleWhite was clearly more dependable and more productive on the RoseBowl field than ReggieBush.
I don't need to click on that link, because anyone who cites stats to back up which is the better player has automatically lost the argument. Congrats to Lendale for walking in from the 2 yard line. What a run! I want that guy! His biggest play of the game? Getting stuffed on 4th and 2.

Bush has been the most exciting player in college football, bar none, for the last two years. He's embarassed great players at perennial power schools every single week. He's a homerun hitter with moves like Gale Sayers/Barry Sanders. I'm very glad you're not my team's GM.

quote:
NFL history is littered with coaches&executives who assumed that raw talent kids would "grow out of it", and were mistaken.
This is also incorrect. You're referring to the percentage of 1st round busts, but the reason you gave isn't the reason.

Coaches know that the first round pick sells tickets, and gets fans and media talking. But 2-5 is where you get your players for the next decade. You have to draft the freaks in the first round, because you don't want to miss out on the next great player. If you draft a guy that every staff in the NFL agrees is a stud, and he's a bust you don't take that big a hit. After all, everyone else would have made the same choice in your shoes. If you reach for a first rounder, I mean really reach (like the Jags last year, for example) and the guy's a bust, you're most likely out of work.

And Bush is anything but a raw talent.
*shakes head*

El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

The NFC South has drafted well, all the way around I'd say. I've also been impressed with the Jets' moves.

Jim-me, you know that Carpenter's father, Bob Carpenter, played for Parcells in NY, right? That was a legacy pick.

But I think he was underrated on a lot of boards, so that's a good pick.

Jim-Me
Member # 6426

Yeah, knew all of that. It's interesting but I think the real reason was as follows:

Interesting thing about the Boys last year... they dominated RBs the first half of the season-- names like Portis, Barber, and Alexander got held for yardages like 67.

Then they lost Anthony Henry, Al Singleton and Dat Ngyuen, bang bang bang... and people started ramming the ball down their throats. Carpenter gives them a proven run-stopper.

I'd have thought, with the trading down, you guys (NO) would have more picks today... what did you get for those picks from Houston and Philly?

beatnix19
Member # 5836

- posted      Profile for beatnix19   Email beatnix19         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't looked really close yet but I would have to say that if the buckeyes don't have the greatest number of players currently drafted they have to be really close to the top. I love the Bucks and it seems like the NFL does too right now.

AJ Hawk OLB Green Bay
Donte Whitner S Buffalo
Bobby Carpenter OLB Dallas
Santonio Holmes WR Pittsburgh
Nick Mangold OC NY Jets
Ashton Youboty CB Buffalo
Anthony Schlegel ILB NY Jets
Nate Salley S Carolina
Rob Sims OG Seattle

Posts: 1294 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

I typed this up for a net group I post on. Would be interested in others' thoughts on it [Smile]

The Biggest Free Agent Signing of the Year

Not TO.

Not Keyshawn or Lavar Arrington or Drew Brees.

I say Mike Vanderjagt.

Consider the direct impact he might have had on last season: the Cowboys lost three games by missing field goals of less than 40 yards. Vanderjagt could easily have made all three.

If he makes one, the Cowboys go into the game with the Rams 10-5 and are playing for the division lead. If it was the one against the Redskins, they go into the game with a playoff berth clinched.

If he makes two, they go into the Rams game 11-4 and are playing for a first round bye and possibly home field advantage through the playoffs.

If he makes all three, the Cowboys are resting their starters because they are 12-3, assured of a tie with Seattle, with whom they have a head to head tiebreaker... they have already clinched the top seed in the NFC.

Three measley chip shot field goals stood between staying home and being the top seed in the conference... and even if they only managed to stand pat elsewhere (which they didn't) they added the most accurate field goal kicker in NFL history.

That's big.

El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

That was a big signing, but I definitely wouldn't call it the biggest of the year. I submit that, by your logic, Vinatieri was a bigger signing. If the Colts had had him last year they wouldn't have lost to the Steelers in the AFC Championship game.

Plus, the 'Boys paid some coin to a guy who doesn't kick off and is rotten beyond 40 yards or so. And he's a flake.

This is the worst time of the year, for me, because it's so long until anything football related happens.

ps - I'm going to the Cowboys/Saints preseason game in Shreveport.

Jim-Me
Member # 6426

sweet... enjoy the game.

He's looking to kick off for the cowboys this year, and he's far from rotten beyond 40 yds or so... 7/8 last year and 79/102 career...14/21 beyond 50... 59/66 (89.4%)in games of less than 7 pt. margin of victory... 44/50 in the last 2 mins of the half. Compared to cowboys kickers of last year, that's huge.

Edit: your boy Vinatieri is, by comparison, 78/116 career from 40+, though I can give him credit for having had to do that in New England.

Whether or not Vj's a flake in Dallas remains to be seen.

[ May 19, 2006, 09:44 AM: Message edited by: Jim-Me ]

El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

Oh, maybe it's 50+ that's he's subpar in. He's not opposed to kicking off, he's just no good at it, if I recall correctly.
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

*bump* for edit... and extension: Vinatieri is 8/17 at 50+ yds. career, compared to Vanderjagt's 14/21. They were 0/2 and 0/0 respectively last year, which is kinda a wash.

Don't get me wrong, I like Vinatieri a lot, and he may even be better than Vanderjagt when you allow for field conditions (though Vj was 11/12 last year outdoors), but the stats show Vj is at least comparable.

And again, my point is you are going from a bevvy of guys who aren't kicking FG's for *anyone* right now (though Cortez is a kickoff specialist for the Eagles, I think) to the most Accurate kicker in NFL history when half your losses were a direct result of missed field goals in regulation.

Disclaimers: stats are from espn.com and I apologize, I mis-clicked, thinking this was the NFL discussion thread, not the draft thread-- my bad.

El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

I'm not saying Vj isn't a huge upgrade; he is. I'm saying he's not the biggest offseason signing.

He's definitely not the kicker that Vinatieri is, and I don't need any stats to tell me that. But the Cowboys didn't go after him, so it's not like they settled on Vj. Vinatieri and Vanderjact, both, are known for being accurate short range kickers. Neither has a huge leg. Two seasons ago, Vj was better than everyone else, accuracy-wise. But you'll never convince me that there's another kicker than Vinatieri you'd want with the game on the line.

And, as you mentioned, field conditions play a huge part in this, and that's not reflected in the stats.

KetchupPrinceConsort
Member # 8047

- posted      Profile for KetchupPrinceConsort   Email KetchupPrinceConsort         Edit/Delete Post 
I am not big on conspiracy theories, but as I was driving to work today something just came to mind.

Living in LA, I hear all of the LA sports news (whether I care about it or not). Consider this...

Los Angeles is getting a football team soon because the NFL just bought land for a stadium. The NFL does not want to change its format of 32 teams by adding one or two, so they move an existing team. Since the hurricanes, New Orleans population has dropped and their stadium is older than most. What better team to move to LA than the Saints?

However, this is where it all comes together. Moving the Saints to LA would bring back one of the most popular California college football players...Reggie Bush. Does that seem a little strange to anyone or am I all alone in this?

Posts: 137 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

It's not strange, but it would be a real slap in the face to the New Orleans area, especially since they have just sold a record number of season tickets.

The rumor I heard was that they would add 2 expansion teams, and put both of them in LA.

El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

I get New Orleans radio, and I first heard this theory advnnced in 2000. The radio guy predicted then that they'd move to LA in 2008.

I didn't believe it then, and I don't know.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.