FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Hidden Track...what?

Author Topic: Hidden Track...what?
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
I must admit, I'm a pretty big fan of Nirvana. I know most of their lyrics, I could probably sing you the guitar part for every song on their album Nevermind.

So, it came as a bit of a shock to me when I heard that there was a 13th track on the CD. On mine, there are only 12. It ends with "Something in the Way." Then I did some research, it's a hidden track. But I can't listen to it on my CD. It's not there.

Apparently, the song "Endless, Nameless," is supposed to follow after "Something in the Way," and ten minutes of silence. But it won't play 10 minutes of silence, it just ends. So, I'm assuming either the CD players are stupid and hate me. Or, since my CD is newer, the song isn't on there at all.

Is there some secret I'm missing? Some magical word that will make the CD player keep rolling? Or I'm to be forever without hearing this magical missing track.

Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Princess Leah
Member # 6026

- posted      Profile for Princess Leah   Email Princess Leah         Edit/Delete Post 
Wait, your CD won't continue at all? When did you buy it? How long did you wait after Nevermind finished?

There definately is a "hidden track" on Nevermind. I went trough a phase of not being able to fall asleep without a Nirvana fix in the headphones, but I saved Nevermind for specially bad nights because, although I love the album, the 10 minutes of silence after the nice and downer "Something in the Way" would lull me to sleep and then I'd be woken up by crazy drums and guitars.

Posts: 866 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

I only bought it sometime last year. It's a newer copy. My cassette tape wore out.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Princess Leah
Member # 6026

- posted      Profile for Princess Leah   Email Princess Leah         Edit/Delete Post 
Did your cassette have it?
Posts: 866 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
raventh1
Member # 3750

- posted      Profile for raventh1           Edit/Delete Post 
Pop it in your computer, and go to the last track, and seek to the last part of the track.
Posts: 1132 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

Leah- Nope.

raventh- I tried that on my computer, on my personal CD player, and in the stereo of my mom's car. No luck.

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Do you have an old record player around the house? Try it on that.
Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
The pirate who recorded your disc isn't into Nirvana.
Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

quote:
Originally posted by Bob_Scopatz:
Do you have an old record player around the house? Try it on that.

You're suggesting that I put a compact disc onto a record player?
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

quote:
Originally posted by aspectre:
The pirate who recorded your disc isn't into Nirvana.

Pirate?
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
Have you ever just left it for ten minutes after the last song ended (or more than ten?)
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

It doesn't run after the song ends. The CD either just ends or starts over.
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
You're suggesting that I put a compact disc onto a record player?
Yes! Absolutely.

And, you could try playing it backwards too.

Either way...it's just Nirvana. Probably sound just as good.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

from wikipedia:

quote:
Some CD versions of Nevermind feature a hidden track called "Endless, Nameless," which begins at the 13:51 mark on track 12 (about 10 minutes after the end of "Something in the Way"). The semi-improvised "noise" song was recorded after a particularly stressful take of "Lithium". It song was omitted from the album's first CD pressing due to a technical error. For unknown reasons, the song was removed from American pressings of the disc in 1994, and all subsequent American CD pressings have lacked the song.
Buy an import CD or an old one from the US
aspectre
Member # 2222

Don't mind BigBadBob inre Nirvana. He's still ticked off at Bach for adapting foreign*rhythms&textures and infusing them into German baroque with a freshly robust&dazzling contrapunctual technique.

* Like Italy and France, where they drink wine instead of good ol' German beer.
Admittedly if God had meant for man to drink wine, grapes wouldn't hafta be mashed by stinky feet.
So who knows what their music had been dragged through before Bach found it.

[ April 30, 2006, 12:50 AM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
He's probably still steamed about that last fugue in the Art of Fugue... French Gallant... what a sellout that was. [Wink]
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

"Buy an import CD or an old one from the US."

Or from a pirate. Caution: If s/he isn't swashbuckling, s/he probably isn't a real pirate.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.