FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Worst President in the history of the United States: A Poll (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Worst President in the history of the United States: A Poll
Jay
Member # 5786

- posted      Profile for Jay   Email Jay         Edit/Delete Post 
Worst President in the history of the United States: A Poll

1. Bill Clinton
2. Jimmy Carter
3. FDR

Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
Reasoning?
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
None, of course. [Wink]

They are Dems, he doesn't NEED a reason. [Razz]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Jimmy carter was the best and nicest president the usa ever had he even admitted to seeing ufo's!
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

1. Bill Clinton - Impeached liar
2. Jimmy Carter – Do nothing feel good President
3. FDR - New Deal start of the lazy American

Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, I see - it's going to be one of those.

<pees all over the place, exits>

Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

<rents steam cleaner to wipe up liberal mess>

<hires legal immigrant to do the job>

<gets back to work for another bit>

unicornwhisperer
Member # 294

- posted      Profile for unicornwhisperer   Email unicornwhisperer         Edit/Delete Post 
Uh...

I guess #1

*leaves quickly before thread gets uglier*

Posts: 1417 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
Jay, when are you going to wake up and realize it's not 1998? Taking jabs at Bill Clinton is not even remotely funny, the Drudge Report is irrelevant and driving by yourself in an SUV makes you look like an elitist asshole.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Krankykat
Member # 2410

- posted      Profile for Krankykat           Edit/Delete Post 
PC:

-Taking jabs at Clinton is always funny.

-Drudge Report is basically a list of daily news and columnists (on boths sides of issues). So how is that irrelevent?

-Driving a Volvo (fav lib-mobile), a Mercedes, or a BMW makes one look like an elitist asshole.

Posts: 1221 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Will B
Member # 7931

- posted      Profile for Will B   Email Will B         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh. I didn't get that we were supposed to pick from those 3. Anyway, nobody can force us.

1. FDR (I also rank him as best)
2. Washington (I also rank him as second best)
3. Wilson

Posts: 1877 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Krankykat:
PC:

-Taking jabs at Clinton is always funny.

-Drudge Report is basically a list of daily news and columnists (on boths sides of issues). So how is that irrelevent?

-Driving a Volvo (fav lib-mobile), a Mercedes, or a BMW makes one look like an elitist asshole.

I've italicized the parts that prove you are either out of touch with reality or are severely lacking in the funny.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Krankykat
Member # 2410

- posted      Profile for Krankykat           Edit/Delete Post 
PC:

Drudge does lean right, but on his site there are news sources, links and columnists who lean left. The Village Voice & Molly Ivans are examples.

According your definition of SUV drivers, I would think you would have one and always drive alone.

[ May 01, 2006, 04:30 PM: Message edited by: Krankykat ]

Posts: 1221 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
1) Warren G. Harding
2) Andrew Johnson
3) Franklin Pierce
4) Lyndon Johnson
5) James Buchanan

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

Wow... Fight nice now....

Cool Tom, your #4 would be my #4 also.

Swampjedi
Member # 7374

- posted      Profile for Swampjedi   Email Swampjedi         Edit/Delete Post 
The white haired guy with crazy moustaches.

Oh you mean American, not Federation.

Posts: 1069 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
I wish I could say that its nice to see you posting again Jay...

...instead, I rather wish trolls like you would stay away when you leave.

Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Heh, impeached liar, oh dear.

Anyway, list of worst presidents in history:

Martin Van Buren - Made a bad situation worse by continuing Jackson's failed domestic economic policies. Other than that a do nothing, though he did avoid war with Mexico by refusing to annex Texas, and was an ardent anti-slavery activist.

Millard Fillmore - Put a bandaid on the problem of slavery and successionist threats rather than actually solving it. He did do some good, by getting California admitted as a free state, but he could have done a lot better.

Franklin Pierce - Let himself get manipulated by his cabinet. A do nothing, useless, bad president.

James Buchanan - Horrible do nothing president. He basically just floundered around waiting for Congress to implode.

More later.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Lyrhawn, I'm going to have to disagree with you on Van Buren and Fillmore. In fact, Van Buren's on my "best" list.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
Abraham Lincoln. And no, I'm not joking.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
1. Bill Clinton - Impeached liar
Why does it bother you that Clinton lied about his sex life, yet it doesn't bother you that Bush lied about WMDs and terrorists in Iraq. Is it because

1. You are still under the dillusion that there were WMDs and Al Qaida traing camps in Iraq even though the Bush administation has now stated there were not.

2. You think that Bush was simply fooled by bad intelligence so he never technically lied about Iraq.

3. You think that lying about sex is wrong but don't think lying about your reasons for starting a war that will kill thousands is wrong.

4. Clinton was impeached for lying and Bush hasn't been, yet.

5. Lying to a grand jury is wrong, but lying to congress and the American people is OK.

6. Its wrong for democrats to lie, but OK when Repubs do it.

7. Other

If your reasons is one, then you are admitting that you are a fool. If it is 2, you are admitting that Bush is a fool. If your reasons are 3 - 6, then you have serious problems with ethical consistency. Which leaves other.

If you have an other explanation, please tell me.

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
Nobody's done it yet, so I will:

George W. Bush - Tax cuts for the rich combined with unnecessary and badly implemented war make for explosive national debt. Equivocated on torture issues. No Child Left Behind leaving many children behind. Flip flopper. And he won't stop smirking, the arrogant bastard.

Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irregardless
Member # 8529

- posted      Profile for Irregardless   Email Irregardless         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll go with Lincoln, too.
Posts: 326 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
Juxtapose, You forgot to mention Blue Skies, Healthy Forest, Arsenic, Mercury, the roadless initiative, and the Yellowstone Winter use plan.

You forgot to mention Bush's opposition to the ABM treaty, the Kyoto treaty, the Biological Weapons Convention, the International Criminal Court, the Comprehensive Test Ban treaty, START II, and the Land Mine Ban.

You forgot to mention that he opposed the UN declaration on children's rights, opposed sex education in developing countries, banned the use of USAID in clinics or by doctors that encourage condom use or even mention abortion,

You forgot that Bush has abandoned diplomacy as the keystone of foreign policy. The official position of his administration is that we "don't talk to our enemies'. We refused to talk with the Taliban, refused to talk with Hussein and we are now refusing to talk with Iran.

You forgot that he has authorized the kidnapping and torture of terror suspects, flaunted the Geneva convention, held hundred of people indefinitely without charges, authorized warrantless spying on American citizens, and overseen an unprecidented expansion of executive power.

You forgot that his administration ignored warnings of the 9/11 terror attacks and levi breaches New Orleans.

Oh, and you forgot that he started a war of agression against a country that posed no real threat to the US or her citizens. A war that has cost thousands of US lives and hundreds of billions of US dollars.

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Humean316
Member # 8175

- posted      Profile for Humean316   Email Humean316         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, if Regan was on the list, I would vote for him. Otherwise, none of them are the best, but none are the worse either.
Posts: 457 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pelegius
Member # 7868

- posted      Profile for Pelegius           Edit/Delete Post 
1. Nixon, for Watergate and his "plan" in Viet Nam, which esentialy involved bombing the hell out of the North Viet Namese, with a deliberate attempt to kill civilians, involving Cambodia and then leaving, after having declared a victory with no basis in reality.

2. Pierce, a blatant slavery surporter and yet another who did little.

3. Harding, fed jobs to corrupt cronies and seemed totaly removed from "normalacy."

Posts: 1332 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

I would vastly prefer an ineffective president who accomplished little, over an effective president who accomplished alot of bad things.
Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

- posted      Profile for Flaming Toad on a Stick   Email Flaming Toad on a Stick         Edit/Delete Post 
1. George W. Bush
2. Bill Clinton (not for the obvious reasons)
3. Ronald Reagan

And, living in Canada, my worst prime minister's list would be:

1. Stephen Harper
2. John A. MacDonald
3. Joe Clark

Posts: 1594 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

The Rabbit, I didn't forget any of that stuff. I just let you write it for me! [Smile]
Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TL
Member # 8124

- posted      Profile for TL   Email TL         Edit/Delete Post 
1) Richard Nixon
2) George W Bush

*not because they're Republican (I'm not a conservative-basher type)... But probably a good helping of "because they're recent/current enough that I have a fair understanding of their good points and bad points." They're more on my mind than other past terrible Presidents might be.

Posts: 2267 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr. Evil
Member # 8095

- posted      Profile for Dr. Evil   Email Dr. Evil         Edit/Delete Post 
1. Carter
2. Lyndon Johnson
3. Clinton

Posts: 117 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kristen
Member # 9200

- posted      Profile for Kristen   Email Kristen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Horrible do nothing president
In my eyes, that means less likely to increase the size of the federal government or overstep executive power, so that's not necessarily a bad thing.
Posts: 484 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Palliard
Member # 8109

- posted      Profile for Palliard   Email Palliard         Edit/Delete Post 
Hrm... for actively trying to destroy the United States, subvert the Constitution, and flaunt the rule of law, I'd have to go with Lincoln.
Posts: 196 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tstorm
Member # 1871

- posted      Profile for Tstorm   Email Tstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd probably pick a couple of the presidents that came before Lincoln. Appeasement and complacency in the face of a developing crisis underscore their ineptitude as leaders.
Posts: 1813 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Will B
Member # 7931

- posted      Profile for Will B   Email Will B         Edit/Delete Post 
I wish we could have a do-nothing President more often.
Posts: 1877 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

quote:
Originally posted by Palliard:
Hrm... for actively trying to destroy the United States, subvert the Constitution, and flaunt the rule of law, I'd have to go with Lincoln.

If he wanted to actively destroy the US, he would have let the south secede without putting up a fuss. That would've done it right there.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
Not at all. What was left would have been the United States. You can argue that the United States would not have been able to continue as it had before, but it would have lived or died according to the principles on which it was founded.

What Lincoln did was create a new thing entirely. He kept the name "United States of America", and many of the trappings of that glorious experiment. But he transformed it into an empire. One which could only be kept alive by conscript troops and massive taxation.

Don't get me wrong. It's still better than anything else out there. In the same way that a glass of half water/half poison is better than a glass full of poison.

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

It would have been HALF the United States.

Besides, war was inevitable. Even if they had left the United States and Lincoln had left them alone, there would have been war eventually.

MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
The choice Lincoln had was between a war of reunification and one of conquest against a hostile foreign country. There was no viable "no war" option.
Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
I've always heard Harding listed as the worst President ever (which Tom also picked). But I don't remember from my history class why that was so. Maybe I'll go read up on his presidency now...
Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

quote:
There was no viable "no war" option.
Why do you not believe that a divided country would have been viable?
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
Two aggressive expansionist countries on the North American continent with a history of antagonism, one of which lacked much manufacturing ability and the other that would need increased argicultural output. The growing division between abolitionists and slavers would be further exacerbated when abolitionist groups were helping slaves escape across country as opposed to state lines. The Union was also not about to give up strategically important sites and forts in the South. Plus, there was the ever-present threat of anti-Union European interference. All of this taking place within the economic climate of the latter half of the 19th century.

The Union would not and could not abide a direct competitor. For that matter, neither would or could the Confederacy. It would have been war no matter what.

Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
sL: while conscription did occur in the United States (as well as the Confederacy) during the civil war, the vast majorities of both armies (over 80%, I think around 90%) were volunteers.

I'm somewhat amused that Jackson hasn't appeared in this thread. While the results of his record viewed from a distance are somewhat muddled, there are specific actions that certainly make him a candidate, notably explicitly disobeying a Supreme Court ruling in order to steal land from sovereign nations in violation of United States treaties, then evict the inhabitants at the cost of many thousands of lives. While he's popped up in the other thread, this particular offense hasn't.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seven
Member # 5367

- posted      Profile for seven           Edit/Delete Post 
haha. Clinton is probably my FAVORITE president. Does that count for anything?
Posts: 46 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boothby171
Member # 807

- posted      Profile for Boothby171   Email Boothby171         Edit/Delete Post 
Juxtaposed,

Bush won't stop smirking becasue he can't. He's been pithed. And I think I see Cheney holding an ice pick behind his back...

Posts: 1862 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

quote:
Bush won't stop smirking becasue he can't. He's been pithed.
He's had his spinal cord severed?
Boothby171
Member # 807

- posted      Profile for Boothby171   Email Boothby171         Edit/Delete Post 
No, I mean that his frontal lobe's been given a steel swirlie.
Posts: 1862 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Isn't that a frontal labotomy?
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

In that case, it's not an ice pick. It's a lever that got broken and permanently stuck on the "smirk" setting. Maybe Cheney was trying to fix it?
Boothby171
Member # 807

Lyrhawn,

As Winston Churchill once said, "I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!"

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.