FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » recommendations for good espionage books

Author Topic: recommendations for good espionage books
Troubadour
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Troubadour   Email Troubadour         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey there, I've got a bit of a project on that I need some inspiration for - I'm looking for good espionage/spy type books with good plots and twists and preferably a techy/near future angle as well.

I could do with some suggestions from Ask Hatrack (tm)!

Posts: 2245 | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
Cardinal in the Kremlin is probably the modern standard, although I haven't read it...

*ducks stones from Clancy fans*

Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
krynn
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for krynn   Email krynn         Edit/Delete Post 
what about any of those tom clancey books?

Edit: oh, i didnt see that last bit.. hehe, *looks for a stone.*

Posts: 813 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Will B
Member # 7931

- posted      Profile for Will B   Email Will B         Edit/Delete Post 
I was going to say Clancy, too. (Don't see the need for a stone -- Cardinal fits the bill perfectly.)
Posts: 1877 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

I meant I'd be stoned for that being the only Clancy I've never read... *everyone* says it's the best of them.
Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Jim-Me, it is. Definitely my favorite of all of them.

What about The Spy Who Came in From the Cold by John LeCarre?

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
If you want techy, this isn't a good suggestion, but there's an Allistair McLean novel called "The Secret Ways" (U.S. title) or "The Last Frontier."

It's about a British agent attempting to get back a defector/kidnapped atomic weapons designer from Hungary. Best spy novel I ever read.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
They're not near future, but I'd suggest a series called, I think, Great True Spy Stories. The name is accurate, its written by a former head of the CIA, iirc.

Many of them are somewhat techy, though a slightly older tech.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't key in on the techy aspect - Le Carre's novel was written in the 60's, I believe, so it probably won't fit the bill. Great novel though.
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
I sort of liked Tinker, Tailer, Soldier, Spy by John Le Carre, myself.
Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HollowEarth
Member # 2586

- posted      Profile for HollowEarth   Email HollowEarth         Edit/Delete Post 
Do Rain Fall, Hard Rain and Rain Storm count?
Posts: 1621 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
I third the John Le Carre suggestions, even though his works aren't techie. He was actually a spy for the British, I believe. Which gives his stories a little extra weight.
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vast Left-Wing Conspiracy
Member # 9384

- posted      Profile for Vast Left-Wing Conspiracy           Edit/Delete Post 
The most recent John Grisham novel (The Broker, I believe it is called) sounds right up the alley you are seeking.
Posts: 87 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
airmanfour
Member # 6111

- posted      Profile for airmanfour           Edit/Delete Post 
Le Carre rules!
Posts: 1156 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Troubadour
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Troubadour   Email Troubadour         Edit/Delete Post 
Great options, Hatrack - thanks...

Now, to qualify it a bit further - I'm looking for something that's almost a cross between spy/james bond and the matrix - anything like that out there?

Posts: 2245 | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
Spin State by Chris Moriarty qualifies: the lead charactor is an intelligence officer who regularly plugs into an information space that spans light years, via quantum entangled communication networks. Thanks to nano-enabled wetware, it's not like todays internet but far more immersive.

As the Kansas City Star said (I'll steal jokes but always source blurbs):" An impressive hard sci-fi debut..." It's a good read, though Moriarty trys to tackle too much. But I'd rather a writer be too ambitious and only partially succeed than try to be mediocre and succeed wonderfully. I'm planning on reading the sequel, inevitably titled Spin Control.

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sweetbaboo
Member # 8845

- posted      Profile for sweetbaboo   Email sweetbaboo         Edit/Delete Post 
My husband votes for Memorial Day by Vince Flynn
Posts: 697 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
OK, the first novel that came to mind was "Shibumi" by Trevanian.

In the top twenty of favorite books ever. (this week, anyway!)

I read it a long time ago. I guess it fits as a spy novel.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm, I know of a book that's exactly what you might be looking for. Long story, but I don't know the title or author, just where it is on the library shelf. Will you still be looking this weekend? I can get it for you then.
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

Oh... not exactly about espionage, and really not the direction you are headed with this, but a must read for a variety of reasons is Neal Stephenson's Crytonomicon... and it comes complete with your own, fairly secure, code cypher developed by a legitimate, real-life spy!
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
"Ghost in the Shell" Anime movie or series. OK, they are not books per se, but, hey there fun.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Cardinal is pretty good.

Heck, most of the Clancy "Jack Ryan" novels involve a bit of espionage, that one is the most heavily dependent on it.

The Bear and the Dragon also has a subplot on espionage that might interest you if that's the only think you're interested in, but all the J. Ryan books are based on the CIA (or a CIA agent after he leaves the CIA).

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Troubadour
Member # 83

Hey Blacwolve - yeah, if you've got something in mind I'll still be looking, got a lot of research underway.

Thanks all!

human_2.0
Member # 6006

- posted      Profile for human_2.0   Email human_2.0         Edit/Delete Post 
The Blue Nowhere by Jeffery Deaver is about a computer techie using social engineering to do bad things. Some of the computer facts were stretched, but not by much.
Posts: 1209 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.