FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Fashion Help for Gardeners Needed

Author Topic: Fashion Help for Gardeners Needed
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi fashion mavens! I have a very specific fashion need: What do you wear to look good AND work hard?

I want gardening/woodswoman clothing that looks good, feels great, and FUNCTIONS. It needs to be easy to care for, stain resistant, tough (especially in the knees), and reasonably priced.

Any suggestions for brands,etc.?

Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
On the farm, I wear a ribbed cotton tank top, one that looks good, but is washable and easily replaceable and comes in every color imagineable. If it's really sunny I wear a light cotton button down over it so I don't get fried.

For pants I used to have those kind that zip off at the knee, but I can't find them anymore. Wrangler jeans have styles that don't make you look like an icecream cone now, and they wear really well. I buy carpenter jeans, too, for the pockets. I hear that Dickies work pants also work pretty well.

My boots are these, kind of a cross between hiking boots and work boots, they don't have a lot of tread on the bottom for mud to get stuck in, but they have enough so I'm not sliding all over the place. They're really comfortable, and you can get a waterproof version.

I wear a straw cowboy hat to keep the sun off my face.

I have the worst luck in gloves, though. I found some that I adore, that actually fit, with leather palms and fingers but a breatheable back, and I've worn through them, but now I can't find them anymore.

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
I would just stock up on well-cut khaki cargo pants - you can bleach them and you can always replace a pair that gets trashed.
Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.