FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Jury Rejects Death Sentence for Moussaoui (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Jury Rejects Death Sentence for Moussaoui
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
From the Post:

quote:
A federal jury decided today to spare the life of Zacarias Moussaoui, sentencing the avowed al-Qaeda conspirator to life in prison for his role in the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist plot.

The verdict was reached after seven days of deliberations following a two-phase death penalty trial that lasted six weeks.

The jury of nine men and three women began deliberating April 24 to determine whether Moussaoui, 37, a member of the al-Qaeda network headed by Osama bin Laden, would get the death penalty or life imprisonment for his role in the Sept. 11 plot.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Do you really think he'll survive jail? As much as he has spouted about hating all Americans, I give it less than a year before he would be dead in there.
Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Do you really think he'll survive jail?
Since it's "life in prison", I don't think so. [Wink]
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Why do they specify 'nine men and three women'? It doesn't seem like very important information. Also, I thought it was the judge who would give out the sentence, and the jury only decides guilt?
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

A death sentence has to be decided by a jury, I believe -- just one person can't make that decision. Dagonee can probably clarify that
Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
That's welcome news by me.

Let's hope that the prison system decides to keep him alive. Prisons can and do protect prisoners from violence when they choose to do so. I think that the last thing the US needs right now, is a high profile prison killing.

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
Why do they specify 'nine men and three women'? It doesn't seem like very important information. Also, I thought it was the judge who would give out the sentence, and the jury only decides guilt?
The death penalty requires aggravating circumstances to be found beyond a reasonable doubt by a jury. Even after that, a judge can alter the sentence to life.

Several states have jury sentencing. In Virginia, juries decide sentences after a second, brief "sentencing phase." The judge can reduce the sentence but not increase it.

As for him surviving prison, he'll probably be in protective custody. 23 hours in a cell, no contact with prisoners.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Ouch. 23 hours a day without seeing anyone? I seem to recall the Amnesty recently condemned Norway for that practice; torture, they called it. Not that I have a lot of sympathy for the guy; he hates Americans so much, fine, he can live without 'em.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

I don't know how else to protect him, myself. But it's definitely a terrible punishment.
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

quote:
"America, you lost," Moussaoui stated as he left the courtroom. "I won."
quote:
Moussaoui, who said he is willing to kill Americans "any time, anywhere."
I can't imagine how that prison time is going to go.
Boothby171
Member # 807

- posted      Profile for Boothby171   Email Boothby171         Edit/Delete Post 
But if he's killed in prison, by other prisoners, then he's not been martyred on the horns of the Great American Satan.

Seems like a win/win situation.

Posts: 1862 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
"America, you lost," Moussaoui stated as he left the courtroom. "I won."
Nope. America played by its rules and lived with the results.
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree.

I also have to add, however, that I would've been disappointed if the jury had decided in favor of giving him the death penalty.

I don't know that "living with the results" would've exactly captured my mood had it worked out that way.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Dag (or anyone else who knows), what kinds of recreational options does a person in solitary confinement have? Do they have access to books, writing materials, and so forth? Can they request time with priests, imams, or whathaveyou? Psychologists? Additionally, if someone is in prison for life, with no chance of parole, is any effort made to rehabilitate them?
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

I'm not sure about most of that. They definitely have access to clergy (or equivalent).

The federal prison system officially does not have the goal of rehabilitation; that's left for probation.

Dagonee
Member # 5818

Here's a link on supermax prisons, which might be where he ends up.

They get a TV, but not much else.

King of Men
Member # 6684

Now, that's cruel and unusual. TV, but no books? Brrrr.
Dagonee
Member # 5818

They might be allowed books. Not sure.
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn't want him to even have tv. Why? But then, I was pulling for capital punishment on this one. Oh well, life goes on.
Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

Even for Moussaoui. [Big Grin]
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Historically, when "tough on crime" folk have succeeded in getting TVs removed from prisons the guards have organized to get them back. TV is a pacifier.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
Since it was never entirely clear to me that he didn't want to die, I don't know that death would have been a just sentence even if you believe in the death penalty.

And yes, everything I heard leading up to the case suggested life imprisonment for Moussaoui would be in solitary.

Now, to deny someone in solitary any form of sensory stimulation would fit into my personal definition of cruel and unusual punishment. The mind feeds on itself in such circumstances; death might be more merciful.

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Choobak
Member # 7083

- posted      Profile for Choobak   Email Choobak         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's a good think he was not condamned to death, because else, he will become a marthyr for islamist. The jugement is wise.

Just for information, i read that his mother asked to french authority to have Zacarias Moussaoui in a French prison.

Posts: 1189 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
Originally posted by dkw:
Historically, when "tough on crime" folk have succeeded in getting TVs removed from prisons the guards have organized to get them back. TV is a pacifier.

Cigarettes, too.
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I would be willing to be he stays in a US facility, as it should be.
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Choobak
Member # 7083

- posted      Profile for Choobak   Email Choobak         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with you Kwea. I don't want him in France. Else we will have problems.
Posts: 1189 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xaposert
Member # 1612

- posted      Profile for Xaposert           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
But if he's killed in prison, by other prisoners, then he's not been martyred on the horns of the Great American Satan.

Seems like a win/win situation.

Except that he'd be dead - that could be hardly called a "win" for anyone. It seems to me that whenever you are talking about sacrificing a life, you have already reached a lose/lose situation.
Posts: 2432 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dagonee:
quote:
Originally posted by dkw:

Cigarettes, too.
Anything to help them forget they can make shankers with their bed springs or a combination of fire and rolled up magazines.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
I think condemning him to death would have reinforced the rest of the world's beliefs that Americans are barbaric because we have the death penalty.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Yes, even though many of you may be surprised at this (knowing some of my political stances) but I'm also glad he did not get the death penalty.

Just because I would have seen it as a breakdown in our justice system in a way.

I mean, Moussaoui wanted to kill Americans, really really wanted to. Still does. Planned to, and everything. But he himself actually didn't kill any (except by not telling about others who were going to do that, I agree). But he didn't physically himself kill anyone, and so personally I would have had problems with him getting death penalty.

Even though I know the law on guilt-by-association and all of that. I realized that. But in my book, the ones that deserve to die for what happened, DID die, as they did it.

FG

DarkKnight
Member # 7536

- posted      Profile for DarkKnight   Email DarkKnight         Edit/Delete Post 
I just hope he is forgotten in prison and we don't have constant headlines about him. I can see in a few months news outlets giving wall to wall coverage on all the abuses, true or not, that he claims happened to him in prison.
Posts: 1918 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

According to the post, he's heading to the supermax.

quote:
It's not the death penalty, but convicted al-Qaeda conspirator Zacarias Moussaoui will soon face a punishment that some consider even worse: up to 23 hours a day in a soundproof, concrete cell, cut off from contact with anyone other than his guards and, perhaps, the lawyers who helped save him from execution.
Moussaoui is expected to be transferred within days to the Administrative Maximum United States Penitentiary, or Admax, in Florence, Colo., the federal government's most secure prison, located in the high desert 90 miles south of Denver.

Dubbed the "Alcatraz of the Rockies" by prison experts -- and "The Tombs" by many prisoners and their lawyers -- the 12-year-old "supermax" facility houses about 400 of the most dangerous and infamous prisoners in the federal system, from "Unabomber" Theodore J. Kaczynski to Ramzi Yousef, architect of the 1993 World Trade center bombing. After the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks, the U.S. Bureau of Prisons transferred most, if not all, of its terrorism-related inmates to the prison.

But Moussaoui is unlikely to meet, or even glimpse, Yousef or any other fellow jihadists at the Florence facility anytime soon, according to federal officials, lawyers and others familiar with operations there.

In the most tightly monitored part of the facility, known as the "control unit," inmates are kept in segregation at all times -- living, sleeping and eating in individual cells poured from concrete that measure approximately 7 feet by 11 feet. They are designed to ensure that inmates cannot speak to or make eye contact with each other, according to defense lawyers, human rights advocates and others who have had access to the facility. Some prisoners are monitored 24 hours a day by surveillance cameras in their cells, as Moussaoui has been during his years in the Alexandria jail.

Most of the facility's cells are outfitted with small black-and-white televisions with a limited number of channels. It is unclear whether Moussaoui will be allowed to watch one.

Some inmates are allowed a handful of visitors and phone calls each month, but many of those incarcerated for terrorism-related crimes have no visitors other than their attorneys and the guards who shackle them whenever they are removed from their cells, according to defense attorneys and court testimony.

He's not getting off lightly.
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
^^ I'd probably trade the TV for a decent selection of books. I wonder if they are allowed to watch the Crime channel.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't have a link handy, but our local paper talked a bit about the SuperMax prison yesterday. Those limited number of channels broadcast mostly anger management and parenting classes, and to a lesser extent religious services and I think it said literacy classes. The desk and stool are also made of poured concrete, and the shower head is in the ceiling and the drain in the floor. Both the shower and the toilet have automatic shut-off valves so the drains can't be plugged and flood the cell. I don't remember if the bed is also concrete, but it doesn't have springs to make shanks out of.

He will be safe from other prisoners, the world will be safe from him, and he will quietly slip into obscurity.

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Dag: That sounds good. Almost as good as the Oubliette I advocate as a substitute for the death penalty.

Still, by NOT killing him we've shown our unwillingness to fight back. I'm afraid this will be perceived as more weakness....

*sigh*

Pix

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
It may be perceived as weakness, but it is strength. Weak people can kill; only a strong people can afford mercy.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
Plus, locking him away in a hole and then forgetting about him is probably the best thing we could have done in terms of outcome.
Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

People don't tell stories of heroic martyrs spending 50 years in jail and dying in obscurity.
DarkKnight
Member # 7536

- posted      Profile for DarkKnight   Email DarkKnight         Edit/Delete Post 
As long as he stays in obscurity, I have a bigger fear of him claiming to be tortured and the press dutifully running that as their top story for weeks and weeks
Posts: 1918 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
BB: Actually, yeah they do. Otherwise there wouldn't be all those acts of terror aimed at getting them freed.
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

By dont tell stories I mean "They don't become icons" yes daring prison breaks and rescuing people from Jail make compelling stories, but nobody tells their kids about "The amazing revolutionary that was jailed by the government and died alone in his cell 50 years later."

If by some sort of providence he gets out then yes its an AMAZING story but not otherwise.

kmbboots
Member # 8576

quote:
Originally posted by DarkKnight:
As long as he stays in obscurity, I have a bigger fear of him claiming to be tortured and the press dutifully running that as their top story for weeks and weeks

Sad that these kinds of claims are so credible these days.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

kmb: Only with the terrorists and their allies
kmbboots
Member # 8576

Really. Those are the only people that believe that we are capable of torturing a prisoner?
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
I think there's a lot less chance of stories of torture being credible at this prison than, say, at Gitmo. (Why no, I can't spell it.) He's isolated from everyone, including his guards, and there will probably be a security camera trained on him 24 hours a day. If he claims torture, they can run the tapes for journalists. *shrug* This one I think is a non-issue.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

I know, I just remember when, for most of the world - and for us, the idea that we would torture a prisoner was unthinkable. That is no longer true.
DarkKnight
Member # 7536

Really? when was that? We have always tortured or beaten or allowed rape to many people throughout our entire history. The idea is much more popular now because 'everyone' hates Bush, and 'everyone' knows he wants to torture every Muslim that we can get our hands on
Xaposert
Member # 1612

- posted      Profile for Xaposert           Edit/Delete Post 
Unless he IS tortured and then they just refuse to release the tapes on the grounds that it will hurt the War on Terror. They've done (or tried to do) that before.

The saddest thing isn't really that the claims of torture is credible. The truly sad thing is that some claims or torture have apparently been true.

Posts: 2432 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkKnight
Member # 7536

So in the entire history of the US we have never tortured before Gitmo?!!? We were all perfect beings never allowing any prisoners to come to harm until evil Bush took office and made all of our soldiers violently maim and cruelly torture the innocent prisoners who should have received a fair and just trial?
kmbboots
Member # 8576

Actually, I was referring to Abu Ghraib, but Gitmo has certainly hurt our moral standing as well. That we have to clarify which group of tortured prisoners also makes me sad and ashamed.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.